Low carb since August 2020, IBS problems

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hi, I feel really very well on a low carb diet. I am fit and feel really good. I’m told that I look better too. My type 2 diabetes is under good control with diet alone.

My only problem is apparent IBS. It is a very real problem too as there can be urgency involved.

I often have a low fluttering sensation in my lower right abdomen. I get regular bouts of diarrhoea with nausea and burning sensations across stomach and abdomen.

I had IBS when I was young which I remember more as constipation and colon spasm.

I wonder whether carbs such as bread and potato soak up fat and allow an easier passage. Apologies for candidness but I am passing greasy stools. The urgency of needing to go is a worry.

I have a GP call next week and am concerned that he’ll be critical of my low carb diet.

If anyone has any tips or advice please let me know. Many thanks.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Bex72

Sorry to hear about this. Can only give you suggestions based on my own experiences which are that the ‘cleaner’ my diet has become (in terms of not eating processed foods), the clearer it has become that I may suffer from some food intolerances. Seems easier to isolate them the lower carb I’ve gone.

In my case, for example, eating lots of dairy, especially the fattier dairy, can trigger diarrhoea and abdominal discomfort in me, as can too much artificial sweetener.

On the other side, too much veg triggers bloating and constipation, so it’s a bit of a balancing act.

Currently I’m consulting a naturopath/nutritionist (who supports low carb) as I’ve had unexplained abdominal pain/discomfort for some time. Also worth a try? They look at things a bit more holistically than medical doctors tend to.

I’m linking to an article on Diet Doctor, which includes individuals talking about their experiences - might be there’s something there that resonates for you: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/benefits/ibs

Hope you find a solution!

Editing to correct a typo and tag @DJC3 as I believe her daughter suffers similarly.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hi @Bex72

Sorry to hear about this. Can only give you suggestions based on my own experiences which are that the ‘cleaner’ my diet has become (in terms of not eating processed foods), the clearer it has become that I may suffer from some food intolerances. Seems easier to isolate them the lower carb I’ve gone.

In my case, for example, eating lots of dairy, especially the fattier dairy, can trigger diarrhoea and abdominal discomfort in me, as can too much artificial sweetener.

On the other side, too much veg triggers bloating and constipation, so it’s a bit of a balancing act.

Currently I’m consulting a naturopath/nutritionist (who supports low carb) as I’ve had unexplained abdominal pain/discomfort for some time. Also worth a try? They look at things a bit more holistically than medical doctors tend to.

I’m linking to an article on Diet Doctor, which includes individuals talking about their experiences - might be there’s something there that resonates for you: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/benefits/ibs

Hope you find a solution!

Editing to correct a typo and tag @DJC3 as I believe her daughter suffers similarly.
Hi Goonergal,
Thanks for your advice. I’ve just skimmed the article and am now thinking FODMAPS. I think you are right, it’s finding a balance. I really need to get my cookery books out again and make more effort. I hope you get an improvement too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Goonergal,
Thanks for your advice. I’ve just skimmed the article and am now thinking FODMAPS. I think you are right, it’s finding a balance. I really need to get my cookery books out again and make more effort. I hope you get an improvement too.

One, although admittedly extreme to some, way of sorting out what is causing it would be to try full on carnivore for a while and then re-introduce the other things that you are currently eating and see if that highlights the problem?

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I have been low carb high fat for around 7 years now. I originally started low carb, but found I needed high fat. I avoid wherever possible processed food, this includes bacon, ham, artificial sweeteners etc. I am fitter and healthier now than I was 20 years ago. As said, try eliminating some food types or adding others, slowly.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I feel really very well on a low carb diet. I am fit and feel really good. I’m told that I look better too. My type 2 diabetes is under good control with diet alone.

My only problem is apparent IBS. It is a very real problem too as there can be urgency involved.

I often have a low fluttering sensation in my lower right abdomen. I get regular bouts of diarrhoea with nausea and burning sensations across stomach and abdomen.

I had IBS when I was young which I remember more as constipation and colon spasm.

I wonder whether carbs such as bread and potato soak up fat and allow an easier passage. Apologies for candidness but I am passing greasy stools. The urgency of needing to go is a worry.

I have a GP call next week and am concerned that he’ll be critical of my low carb diet.

Thanks for the tag @Goonergal yes my daughter has suffered for a few years with similar abdo issues. FODMAP is a good place to start but we found it took a bit of thinking about to combine with LCHF.
In her case it tends to be triggered by stress and/or lack of sleep and so it can be hard to break the cycle because the constant abdo pain and diarrhoea cause sleeplessness and anxiety which cause IBS flare ups , and so it goes on. Also, a few years of drug and alcohol abuse ( now behind her thank God) have messed up her innards I fear.
Regarding your trip to the GP, personally I don’t mention low carb these days. I can’t be bothered with the instant dismissal and the automatic assumption that any symptoms are down to my ‘fad diet’. I say that I eat whole foods and avoid processed food.
I hope you find the trigger soon, the urgency is debilitating I know. As a temporary interim measure, Imodium works quickly if you have to be away from the loo for a few hours. Not a solution obviously.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

I wouldn't have had any comment for you except a couple of weeks ago, after a couple of years on low carb, I had a new experience after an extra low carb high fat day of roast duck that lead to pain under my right rib a few hours later. Not severe, but enough to make me pay attention and start googling. I started reading forums where keto dieters were also having this pain and it turns out to be gallbladder issues.
A day or so later, I had (accidentally) an extra fatty serving of osso bucco - it went wrong when my husband decided to make it in a croc pot in the oven it dehydrated it leaving a very concentrated fatty juice. Boy, was I running to the toilet over and over for the next 24 hours! Luckily it passed but I've still been having intermittent pain under my right rib. I went to the doctor and he pressed around on my abdomen a bit and when I flinched he confirmed the tenderness is in the gallbladder region so I'm scheduled for an ultrasound in another week or two to see what's going on in there.

I don't know if what you're having is related but it's worth investigating since diarrhea on low carb high fat has something to do with not having enough bile I think. You could try taking bile acids but research the side effects of those first because there are some precautions to taking them I think. Let us know how you go!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Bex - I don't suffer from IBS, but if I overdo the fats I too have abdominal pain, then rancid smelling, fatty poo.

Obviously, I try to avoid that, but to be honest, I jest keep a weather eye on the amount of fats I am consuming. It started when I was trying to stall weight loss, but keep the carbs modest. I just upped my protein intake a bit more to satisfy the scales.

Like @DJC3 , I am mindful of referring to my diet at low carb. I just see I eat a very nourishing diet with plenty protein, and keep an eye on the starchy stuff. I find the label rather panics people who seem to think we live on lettuce leaves carrying slabs of Kerrygold.

I wonder if this might help a bit: https://www.healthline.com/health/steatorrhea#symptoms