Eating Out Normally Again Is Something I Dream Of

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was The Eastbury Plough, in Eastbury just outside Lambourn in West Berkshire. 15 minutes off M4 junction 14
Lol I thought it was something you cooked and was joking. Nice to know I really could go get it somewhere though! Thanks.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol I thought it was something you cooked and was joking. Nice to know I really could go get it somewhere though! Thanks.
It would be quite easy to recreate, just not as pretty, or costly! ( and this is a thread about what to eat when eating out)

Reactions: HSSS

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@If_only apologies if you’ve already mentioned this but do you test your BS? By testing you can determine what foods you can eat which may give you more menu options when you do go out to eat.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Lakeslover

The thing ifind frustrating is not what to chose for an evening meal as I can usually find something suitable, but what to chose if I want a light lunch in a cafe. So many just offer sandwiches, baguettes, jacket potatoes.

Reactions: Munkki and Dudette1

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing ifind frustrating is not what to chose for an evening meal as I can usually find something suitable, but what to chose if I want a light lunch in a cafe. So many just offer sandwiches, baguettes, jacket potatoes.
Cafes are a nightmare. I usually aim for an all day breakfast, omelette, salad etc

Reactions: Munkki

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also aim for an all day breakfast- eggs Benedict are my favourite. I also have ordered sandwiches and just eaten the inside. I have chooks so sometimes keep the bread for the chooks- a win win.

But a lot of cafes here certainly do things like bacon and eggs or omelette. I have heard of people ordering a burger without the bun?

On the theme of this thread- yes cafes can be a bit more challenging. I tend to suggest certain places when meeting friends as I know they will have stuff I can eat.

Reactions: Munkki

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also aim for an all day breakfast- eggs Benedict are my favourite. I also have ordered sandwiches and just eaten the inside. I have chooks so sometimes keep the bread for the chooks- a win win.

But a lot of cafes here certainly do things like bacon and eggs or omelette. I have heard of people ordering a burger without the bun?

On the theme of this thread- yes cafes can be a bit more challenging. I tend to suggest certain places when meeting friends as I know they will have stuff I can eat.
Do you order the eggs benedict without bread?

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have ordered jacket potatoes without potato twice and got the weirdest reactions, so I am usually hoping for cafés to do all day breakfast, omelette or salad, or just a bag of nuts, a Babybel, a Pepperami or so....

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
I think everyone’s experience on low carb is different, for me, I will be honest, I hate it but I accept it. I’ve tried loads of different meals, online, in books and nothing satisfies me.Even the look of the food on the plate looks boring no matter how colourful. alternatives only last so long, I can’t stand cauliflower rice anymore, just thinking about it makes me feel sick.no matter how nice a meal taste I know I won’t make it again because then it’s repetitive and easy to get bored. prepping and or cooking for morning dinner and tea and thinking what you can have is not an enjoyable experience. Putting something in slow cooker like a shepherds pie and leaving it all day till u put spuds on for tea time is something worth waiting for.I read somewhere low carb isn’t accepted by professionals because most people can’t maintain it for the rest of their life.silly really for the people who have done it.Got to say, yes my blood sugars are great, yes I’ve lost 7 stone and I’m not as hungry, but I’m not happy and I should be. The fear of problems later on in life is what stops me eating normal. Do I have potatoes once a week, yes I do, and after that meal, I walk 10 miles and I’m happy on that day because it’s felt like a normal day. I walk 10 miles regardless of if I eat potatoes or low carb anyway. Does feeling sluggish the day after make it feel worth it, yeah but it’s not nice.When out for a meal it’s a struggle, anyone want dessert, yeah 10 blueberries with 2 squares of 90% dark chocolate melted down as anymore and my bloods will be up. While everyone else is enjoying an ice cream with sprinkles and drizzle of sauce.So yes it’s frustrating and I might sound a misery but that’s how I feel about low carb. Any low carb plate I’ve ever seen I will pick apart with what’s wrong with it. Spuds go with that, spaghetti goes with that, stuffing goes with chicken, rice goes with that, buns go with a burger, chips go with steak, a pie isn’t a pie without a crust.you can add all the herbs spices and low carb sauce in the world, it might taste nice but it’s boring.The alternative is never going to make me happy no matter what is in front of me. Do I think low carb is the way, definitely, will I carry on doing it, yes I will but it costs me my happiness but gives me my health so it’s a no brainer. Fear of problems is what stops me eating what I want that day. I know some people will be happy on low carb and I wish I could be one of those people. My post is just an expression of how I feel on it. It would be boring if we was all the same. I will be honest,When I first started low carb it was great, weight loss, good blood sugars, but after a while,it just didn’t give me any happiness. My moms celiac and she said I’m in same boat, no you have an alternative to just about most things and going to a restaurant,most places have a gluten free menu and I think that’s amazing. A mushroom as a burger bun is the most disgusting thing I could think of as an alternative for me. I’d rather have a vodka and get drunk so I’m not hungry. There, that’s my experience and my thoughts even if I do sound depressing. I’m in no way telling anyone not to go low carb because I will always be on it and what makes one person unhappy will make another person happy,I’m on it because I have too, not because I want too. Our choice has been taken away because of this disease. You haven’t got diabetes because you are fat, or because your lazy or all the other things doctors used to say it was from. I count my blessings I’m here and there are people a lot worse off than myself. However it still doesn’t stop how I feel. Sorry it’s a bit depressing and long winded. You will find your happy medium but you can’t get rid of this disease, remission yes, but eat as you wish and it will come back. Could have wrote a little novel there ha!
Love this totally agree xx how r u now can u eat more now xx