Neem

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told about neem for diabetes T2 and have just bought some neem oil for the allotment. All the info I have read is about using the leaves which I can't get but can you somehow use the oil instead?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, did you mean the neem from Azadirachta indica?

Googling throws up some bold claims. But also throws up some dodgy side effects when consumed?

Where did you get your info??

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Somebody mentioned it in a group and I googled. I thought it was worth a try as I have some. There have been some scientific studies as well but I only scanned them so don't know how valid they are.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Somebody mentioned it in a group and I googled. I thought it was worth a try as I have some.

Well, it may help if you're a diabetic rabbit or rat? (Those seem to be the scientific studies.)

In my personal opinion, an issue with non prescription drugs for diabetes is that if they have a medical effect then they need testing for efficacy and safety, and if they don't work, why bother? In particular, if they have similar ingredients/actions to prescription drugs then you need to know how much to safely take and what side effects to look out for.

An interesting warning from the FDA here
Beware of Illegally Marketed Diabetes Treatments | FDA

I realise you haven't bought your neem from a dodgy diabetes cure site, but the same principles of knowing what you are taking apply.

And in particular, knowing how much you are taking applies, as studies on neem leaves are not the same as neem oil.

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well, neem can be used pretty much everywhere and one of its uses is in the plant where it is used to protect the plant from unwanted insects and pests. I will leave a link below so that it helps everyone to understand how neem powder works for plant protection. Thanks, here's the link to Neem powder.

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I tried to provide the link of neem powder but it says it's a spam activity so I'll try another time. Let's see how it goes this time.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I tried to provide the link of neem powder but it says it's a spam activity so I'll try another time. Let's see how it goes this time.

Welcome to the forum @garrythegardener
Thanks for the info, very useful. I think you will have to get a few more posts under your belt before you can post any links.
We used to get lots of spammers so that was one of the measures they introduced to limit them.