New job with T1

Lisa69free

Started a new job today, first job after being diagnosed diabetic. It was all go this morning testing blood, getting stuff ready to take with but made it out the house less than an hour after getting up. Bloods behaved today and I'm looking forward to having my tea when I get home. Injected in the toilet cubicle but aside from that everything ok. How do you cope?

Reactions: Juicyj

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started a new job today, first job after being diagnosed diabetic. It was all go this morning testing blood, getting stuff ready to take with but made it out the house less than an hour after getting up. Bloods behaved today and I'm looking forward to having my tea when I get home. Injected in the toilet cubicle but aside from that everything ok. How do you cope?

Hi,

New jobs get easier as you get accustomed to the structure.. :)

I tend to change jobs quite regularly. I'm currently working for a landscaping company. Injections are done in the truck if drive or on the site where the works at? I must admit, the job I do right now is a bit "Adhock?"
But I'm lucky the two guys in the team get T1. The boss's son is T1 too.

Other places of work I tend to use the back of my tinted day van as an "office" for my "diabetic time."

Using a sensor as a CGM set up helps immensely with general BG managment whilst on the job?

I hope you enjoy yer tea.. :)

Reactions: EllieM

Lisa69free

I'm working in an office and I've already asked permission to prick my finger to test in the office around colleagues and thankfully nobody said no. I guess I don't have to go in a cubicle, if another woman saw me injecting myself and had issue I think I would go down the path I shouldn't have to sit on a toilet to self administer my medicine to keep me alive

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Lisa69free Well done on making it through your first day :) It's hard enough getting through the first day without testing the boundaries over where/when to treat the t1 but I would find another safe space to inject and some where more hygienic, tbh I would just do it at my desk, with a discrete 1..2..3.. job done, no fuss and whilst no one was looking too, this is where I did most of my injections when in a shared office, it is mastering the art of speed and discretion though ;)

Lisa69free

I was told my daily to inject in my upper thigh. Can't really do that at my desk and also not a quick 123 but hold for 10 seconds after. My after food 1 to do in my tummy so still not great in front of people. Where in your body do you inject?

Reactions: Gemma2

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told my daily to inject in my upper thigh. Can't really do that at my desk and also not a quick 123 but hold for 10 seconds after. My after food 1 to do in my tummy so still not great in front of people. Where in your body do you inject?
Tends to be the stomach whilst out. legs at home or if wearing shorts..

What insulins are you prescribed? where you instructed to inject after food?

Lisa69free

I use a grey insulin pen, can't remember the name but it sounds like a spell from Harry Potter and my orange Novo Rapid for after food

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a grey insulin pen, can't remember the name but it sounds like a spell from Harry Potter and my orange Novo Rapid for after food

Hi,

Lantus solo star disposable pen, perchance?
I know what you mean about the names of this stuff.. :) They sound more like cars to me..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No lol, Abasaglar the grey daily pen is called

Ah, that at one.. Yep I do see a flash of light & a puff of smoke as it's said with a wave of the wand.. ;)

Mid week now. How have you been finding your days as you start to settle in..?

Lisa69free

Noticing a low when I wake but everything else seems to be ok. Maybe not working out carbs enough for evening meal. Last night I was so hungry I had a slice of bread while waiting for my chicken to cook and because I had bread I only had veg with it instead of pre arranged potato

Lisa69free

Lows are happening more frequently now. I reduced daily shot from 24 to 22 on Saturday and my hypos are pretty much before every meal. This morning 2.5. Today lowered basal again to my original amount of 20 and see how that goes. It was put up to 24 2 weeks ago by diabetic clinic nurse as I was getting too many highs of 15 to 22. Seems to normalise then go opposite

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lows are happening more frequently now. I reduced daily shot from 24 to 22 on Saturday and my hypos are pretty much before every meal. This morning 2.5. Today lowered basal again to my original amount of 20 and see how that goes. It was put up to 24 2 weeks ago by diabetic clinic nurse as I was getting too many highs of 15 to 22. Seems to normalise then go opposite

Hi,

Well?
You could be in a "honeymoon" phase. Where then pancreas does a "dying swan" kicking out the odd random spurt of insulin before it finally gives up for good? (A bit like an intermittent failing car part?)

Your basal could need a tweak? Though, till the aforementioned settles. That maybe a little like nailing jelly to a wall?

Or....? How long prior to the hypos you have did you inject the novorapid for the last meal?
Sometimes i find Novorapid can have a little "lick" in the tail 5 hours later.. Regarding it's working profile with me...

Lisa69free

Thank you for replying. I check my blood about an hour before food, on getting up and before bed so generally a good 3 plus hours after injecting often longer. Like before bed last night was 2.5 so had toast about 10pm today woke 2.7 had breakfast at 6.45 and felt jittery at 10am and was in the 2s again. Had a jelly baby, a satsuma and a coffee with sugar in, checked at 12.30 and was 4.8. Home by 6 and it was 5.6 so much better.

Hi,

Or....? How long prior to the hypos you have did you inject the novorapid for the last meal?
Sometimes i find Novorapid can have a little "lick" in the tail 5 hours later.. Regarding it's working profile with me...

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi If out I inject in the back of the upper arm, the flabby bit! I have a little handbag/lipstick mirror that I prop up so I can see what I am doing. Short sleeves and a cardigan works well.

Lisa69free

I suppose but I don't mind going to the toilet to do it. It's probably cleaner than the office the amount of times the cleaners go in lol