EEK why is it always weekends when things go wrong

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
While injecting last jab of the day noticed the shot went down about eigth of an inch instead of usual amount so checked echo pen end and it said my dose had been given etc but before bed glucose soaring so omg pen faulty and my gp does not give spares so having to use loads extra basal while I wait for tomorrow for script.Unfortunately we dont own a car and am miles from city so no choice but wait
Have sent order to gp for them to change me to flexpens as then if one goes wrong will have another in the fridge but I bet it doesent happen without a lot of fuss
Its always weekends for me with emergencies whether with pets or ourselves and even household appliances OMG

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's just so-- law, it's always weekends
or bank holidays for me or is it just me being negative

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have an emergency pack of old style disposable syringes so that when my pens go wrong, or I can't find them, I can use the syringes. But yes, whether it's pens or blood testing meters, they always seem to break at a weekend.:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While injecting last jab of the day noticed the shot went down about eigth of an inch instead of usual amount so checked echo pen end and it said my dose had been given etc but before bed glucose soaring so omg pen faulty and my gp does not give spares so having to use loads extra basal while I wait for tomorrow for script.Unfortunately we dont own a car and am miles from city so no choice but wait
Have sent order to gp for them to change me to flexpens as then if one goes wrong will have another in the fridge but I bet it doesent happen without a lot of fuss
Its always weekends for me with emergencies whether with pets or ourselves and even household appliances OMG

Hi,

Technically it's a good idea to have a spare reusable pen handy. Your doctor should put them on your repeat prescription, dispensed from the chemist?

If you feel your pen maybe faulty? You could try after an airshot, firing 20 units into the needle cap & see if it fills to the line in the picture below?
Not very scientific. But it may give an idea on what's happening with your pen..

image.jpeg

Reactions: Struma

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my gp does not give spares
I find this shocking.
Pens fail and you need insulin to keep you alive so you cannot afford not to have a back up.
In your position, I would be calling upon Diabetes UK helpline to support you to change your GPS mind.
The cost of a spare pen is far less than the cost of treating DKA.

In the meantime, (when I come down from my soapbox) I recommend getting some single use syringes. You must have a back up.

Last edited:

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My mishaps always seem to happen when on vacation or out of town for some reason.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Keeping so busy today to use up thst glucose and my garden is geting the benifit LOL

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi,

Technically it's a good idea to have a spare reusable pen handy. Your doctor should put them on your repeat prescription, dispensed from the chemist?

If you feel your pen maybe faulty? You could try after an airshot, firing 20 units into the needle cap & see if it fills to the line in the picture below?
Not very scientific. But it may give an idea on what's happening with your pen..

View attachment 50388
Did that and its not half way to top so have been getting much less insulin than I believed so this explains why in last couple of weeks my bgs have been so much higher especially in the evening

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did that and its not half way to top so have been getting much less insulin than I believed so this explains why in last couple of weeks my bgs have been so much higher especially in the evening

Do you have a diabetes nurse to speak to?
Explain the fact your pen don't dose correctly, the nurse may have one hanging about the office they could issue?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Explain the fact your pen don't dose correctly, the nurse may have one hanging about the office they could issue?

In New Zealand, most pharmacists have a spare reusable pen or two hanging around, and swap a new pen for a broken old one. I'm out of date with the UK, so don't know if this is the case there.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In New Zealand, most pharmacists have a spare reusable pen or two hanging around, and swap a new pen for a broken old one. I'm out of date with the UK, so don't know if this is the case there.
It's the same here in Australia, any pharmacy with a NDSS sign in store will swap pens if needed,.

I am pleased our two countries do not operate under the same constraints of the NHS.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have requested pens from gp online today so if it doesent happen will contact dns

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Update . You couldnt make it up !!! messaged on Saturday and rang at eight this morning surgery receptionist said dr not in yet I will putitfoward asap ,lunchtime and no progress rang again and was told drs are in surgery so marking it as urgent ,two hours later and chemist has cartridges not much use with a broken pen! just got hold of a different receptionist who said dr didnt read the whole message so shes off to try and get it right ,really they should worry if an insulin dependant diabetic has been without insulin for two days am so annoyed

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Went to chemist and they said dr only ordered one pen so cant dispense as it must be a box so home to more calls to surgery and eventually a very kind pharmacy assistant brought them to my house going out of her way to do so after a long day at work and it was she who called surgery late this afternoon to say sort this out .At least I now have it sorted but its not yet on repeat so thats abattle for another day

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, are your insulin pens the same for long and short acting cartirdges? It really isn't advised, but in an emergency I have swapped cartridges when a pen broke for me. I usually use the cartridges in a reusable pen, because it will do half units. I then have one box of disposable cartridges in the fridge as back up which I took on holiday (pre pandemic!) but the disposables don't do half units and have so much plastic I don't like them. My GP also said the cartridges are cheaper than the disposable pens, so was happy for me to stay on those. I got one pen through my usual diabetes centre who then wrote to my GP telling them to add it to my script so I could get another in a different colour (one for bolus, one for basal insulin). I think a call or email to your diabetes centre might help you...

As a type 1, I was always told I could get emergency supplies from a hospital diabetes centre if I couldn't get it from my GP, eg if I was away. I've done that once when my lancing device broke.

Hope you get it sorted soon!

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, are your insulin pens the same for long and short acting cartirdges? It really isn't advised, but in an emergency I have swapped cartridges when a pen broke for me. I usually use the cartridges in a reusable pen, because it will do half units. I then have one box of disposable cartridges in the fridge as back up which I took on holiday (pre pandemic!) but the disposables don't do half units and have so much plastic I don't like them. My GP also said the cartridges are cheaper than the disposable pens, so was happy for me to stay on those. I got one pen through my usual diabetes centre who then wrote to my GP telling them to add it to my script so I could get another in a different colour (one for bolus, one for basal insulin). I think a call or email to your diabetes centre might help you...

As a type 1, I was always told I could get emergency supplies from a hospital diabetes centre if I couldn't get it from my GP, eg if I was away. I've done that once when my lancing device broke.

Hope you get it sorted soon!
My previous gp always gave me a spare pen but this one is really reluctant to do that so have now got disposable pens but not really happy with the plastic however I will recycle them when empty .In hindsight your advice re swapping to my basal pen would have been good if I had thought of it as better to be without basal for a day or three than to be without bolus

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My previous gp always gave me a spare pen but this one is really reluctant to do that so have now got disposable pens but not really happy with the plastic however I will recycle them when empty .In hindsight your advice re swapping to my basal pen would have been good if I had thought of it as better to be without basal for a day or three than to be without bolus
They need to realise you're not asking for a spare now, your only pen is not working, so it is necessary to ask for a replacement. Definitely good to have to disposables as a back up, but you're entitled to working equipment to administer your insulin.

I'd never take only one insulin as I don't make any of my own - I just kept switching the cartridges. Was a complete pain but meant I didn't feel ill with erratic bloods. You are entitled to a working pen for both of your insulins, and if they still say you're asking for a spare rather than replacement please contact the diabetes centre at your hospital. Your only pen being faulty should have been treated with urgency by any HCP. Such unnecessary stress for you!