Omnipod Dash falls off when wet/sweaty!

KateG1403

I’ve been on the pump since May and now experiencing the summer I’ve had a couple of occasions where I just can’t get the pod to stay stuck to me! In this heatwave as soon as I sweat it falls off or if I get it wet in a pool too (even just five mins of being wet)! I’ve bought two types of sticky patch that go round the pod to help it stick but these also drop off as soon as wet.
Can anyone help? How do you get it to stay on?

For info: I usually wear it on my tummy, thigh or sometimes my back, so arm strap suggestions probably won’t help me here!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@KateG1403 that must be very frustrating.
Have you tried SkinTac? It comes as individually wrapped wipes, provides a barrier (I used to use them to stop irritation) and makes your skin extra sticky. Because of the barrier, properties it repels water so may help.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I was the same with a pod on Ssturday when hot & sweaty. Pod was also on my tummy. I moved it to my upper arm & its been ok. I hate it showing on my upper arm but it is sticking better.
I have been on the pump since March & would love to hear how it is working for you. I've found it quite a rocky road with so many other influences to consider over and above when using pens x

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you do use skintac or another adhesive then please get your self something like lift plus to remove your pods. Lift Plus wipes are available on prescription in the UK.

Reactions: KateG1403

KateG1403

I was the same with a pod on Ssturday when hot & sweaty. Pod was also on my tummy. I moved it to my upper arm & its been ok. I hate it showing on my upper arm but it is sticking better.
I have been on the pump since March & would love to hear how it is working for you. I've found it quite a rocky road with so many other influences to consider over and above when using pens x

Hi! Mixed reviews to be honest! The immediate effect on my blood sugars was great but as I’ve gone back to trying to eat more carbs again (I was very restrictive when using pens) I’ve found that I still have a lot of swinging about between high and low. I’ve had various luck with pod sites - one time it’ll work great in a certain place but then next time it’ll drop off or fail after half a day. I’m just finding it all inconsistent! I don’t want to give up yet though as I do think it’s working more than pens, it just requires a lot more organisation and persistence. And I’m sure I’ll start to get a rhythm going after a while x

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi! Mixed reviews to be honest! The immediate effect on my blood sugars was great but as I’ve gone back to trying to eat more carbs again (I was very restrictive when using pens) I’ve found that I still have a lot of swinging about between high and low. I’ve had various luck with pod sites - one time it’ll work great in a certain place but then next time it’ll drop off or fail after half a day. I’m just finding it all inconsistent! I don’t want to give up yet though as I do think it’s working more than pens, it just requires a lot more organisation and persistence. And I’m sure I’ll start to get a rhythm going after a while x
Hi Kate, I was lucky on the pens & had a pretty much smooth road. I'm 4 months in & only really getting to grips with it now. Have you tried extended bolus to stop food spikes? I extend all my teatime boluses now (largest carb meal) & it really helps.
If having a lunchtime sandwich also extend bolus as now know my body doesnt like bread & spikes would be on average 16/17. Have had a few 26's when pod failed & I had switched off high reading warning on libre as was sick of it bleating at me in the early days.
When putting new pod on angle it, don't put it straight across or straight down which might help a bit.
On that note changed pod last night to thigh & it lasted 1 hour before it came off, put on other upper arm & it was loose again tonight.
Don't give up, you'll get there. I was told initially after a month you wont look back, a month in I'd had 3 full blown tantrums, tears & snot cause I couldn't get to grips with it but feel much more confident now.
One last thing to consider is the heat. I need to reduce basal by 30% when out in the sun.
Best of luck. Mo

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
@KateG1403 that must be very frustrating.
Have you tried SkinTac? It comes as individually wrapped wipes, provides a barrier (I used to use them to stop irritation) and makes your skin extra sticky. Because of the barrier, properties it repels water so may help.
Hiya, where can you buy skin tac as would like to give it a go in the hot weather before I get the opportunity to go abroad with pod for first time. Thanks Mo

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hiya, where can you buy skin tac as would like to give it a go in the hot weather before I get the opportunity to go abroad with pod for first time. Thanks Mo
Just ordered a 2 sample pack off amazon

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just ordered a 2 sample pack off amazon

Yep I order mine from Amazon, normally gets shipped from the USA. You can get wipes or fluid in a bottle. As mentioned above please make sure you have something to remove it with as its very sticky and when you remove patch without anything you'll leave a very red welt. Lift Plus is what I use.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Yep I order mine from Amazon, normally gets shipped from the USA. You can get wipes or fluid in a bottle. As mentioned above please make sure you have something to remove it with as its very sticky and when you remove patch without anything you'll leave a very red welt. Lift Plus is what I use.
Thanks Chas, I've used baby oil with libre sensor so will give that a go. Mo