False postive latarel flow tests

jenni52

Has anyone else has false positive covid laterel flow tests? Mine are always positive but PCRs are negative.

I can't keep isolating every time I take one as I have to get PCRs through the post and the whole process takes nearly a week. Has this happened to anyone else?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Has anyone else has false positive covid laterel flow tests? Mine are always positive but PCRs are negative.

I can't keep isolating every time I take one as I have to get PCRs through the post and the whole process takes nearly a week. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've done it a couple of times and it came out negative. Mrs Urb' works in the care sector and has been doing LFD 3 days a week since the start of 2021 and PCR twice a week since October 2020. Neither Mrs Urb' nor any of her colleagues have ever had a positive result from the LFD tests and they have to show them to the manager when they arrive for work.

Depending on what one chooses to believe, the LFD test either has a very high acuracy of 99% or it's useless and shouldn't be relied upon. The reality may be somewhere in between ?

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done it a couple of times and it came out negative. Mrs Urb' works in the care sector and has been doing LFD 3 days a week since the start of 2021 and PCR twice a week since October 2020. Neither Mrs Urb' nor any of her colleagues have ever had a positive result from the LFD tests and they have to show them to the manager when they arrive for work.

Depending on what one chooses to believe, the LFD test either has a very high acuracy of 99% or it's useless and shouldn't be relied upon. The reality may be somewhere in between ?

You've not heard about the kids using orange juice to get a false positive so they can bunk off school?

"OJ Symptoms" is its name allegedly..

The testing of the well is yet another source of bewilderment...

Reactions: jenni52

jenni52

I was reading about that, and some people saying cola causes positive results, made me wonder if my one can of diet coke a day may have an affect on my saliva.

Apparently the gold standard is a PCR test so I'm more inclined to believe my negative results from those, but the positive LFTs have me worrying that they're picking up some other undiagnosed illness!?

jenni52

It's highly unlikely. I don't go anywhere apart from walking the dog, had no symptoms, husband and kids take twice weekly tests for work and school which are all negative and there have been no positive cases at either place for months, plus my PCRs are negative.