1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

False postive latarel flow tests

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by jenni52, Jul 21, 2021.

1. jenni52

jenni52 · Member

Has anyone else has false positive covid laterel flow tests? Mine are always positive but PCRs are negative.

I can't keep isolating every time I take one as I have to get PCRs through the post and the whole process takes nearly a week. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I've done it a couple of times and it came out negative. Mrs Urb' works in the care sector and has been doing LFD 3 days a week since the start of 2021 and PCR twice a week since October 2020. Neither Mrs Urb' nor any of her colleagues have ever had a positive result from the LFD tests and they have to show them to the manager when they arrive for work.

Depending on what one chooses to believe, the LFD test either has a very high acuracy of 99% or it's useless and shouldn't be relied upon. The reality may be somewhere in between ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    #2 urbanracer, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:08 AM
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

You've not heard about the kids using orange juice to get a false positive so they can bunk off school?

"OJ Symptoms" is its name allegedly..

The testing of the well is yet another source of bewilderment...

• Like Like x 1
  4. jenni52

jenni52 · Member

I was reading about that, and some people saying cola causes positive results, made me wonder if my one can of diet coke a day may have an affect on my saliva.

Apparently the gold standard is a PCR test so I'm more inclined to believe my negative results from those, but the positive LFTs have me worrying that they're picking up some other undiagnosed illness!?

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Are you leaving the full 30 minutes after eating/drinking before taking the sample?

6. jenni52

jenni52 · Member

Yes, doesn't matter how long it's been, an hour or all night, there's still a faint line. Very frustrating!

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Is it possible that you might have had Covid in the last 90 days?

"You should not do the LFD test if you have had a positive Covid-19 PCR in the last 90 days. The LFD may give a false positive result if you have recently had Covid-19." https://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/lateral-flow

8. jenni52

jenni52 · Member

It's highly unlikely. I don't go anywhere apart from walking the dog, had no symptoms, husband and kids take twice weekly tests for work and school which are all negative and there have been no positive cases at either place for months, plus my PCRs are negative.

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook