Type 1 Libre sensor

Gafspa

I’m new to wearing a sensor. On my third sensor.
The first 2 I wore on my left arm, to let healing/removing sticky stuff I’ve put the 3rd sensor for the first time on my right arm.

I’m not getting on nearly as well!
I was woken up with alarm to say I 3.3 in night, I have good hypo awareness and I felt fine so I did bloods with my monitor and it said I was 5.2. I know there’s a delay and the results won’t be the same but I did my bloods as I’d suspected other readings were slightly off.

Is this something other people have come across?
What do you do as now I’m going to be wary about using my right arm…..

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some folk have reported false lows after lying on the sensor. Compressing the flesh around the sensor may cause it. Possibility?

Reactions: Gafspa

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The first 2 I wore on my left arm, to let healing/removing sticky stuff I’ve put the 3rd sensor for the first time on my right arm.

I was woken up with alarm to say I 3.3 in night, I have good hypo awareness and I felt fine so I did bloods with my monitor and it said I was 5.2. I know there’s a delay and the results won’t be the same but I did my bloods as I’d suspected other readings were slightly off.

Sorry I am a bit confused here. Surely you meant 3.3 and not 13.3. A new sensor needs about a day to ‘bed in’. It does tend to give erratic reading in the beginning so I would suggest you put the new sensor on the day before the old sensor expires.
As for applying the sensor I was instructed to select 2 positions on each arm, one about an inch higher. So you would have 4 positions to pick from - Left high then Right high followed by Left low then Right low. This would give enough time for each spot to ‘heal’. Hope you find this helpful.

mumsie147

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've been using the FreeStyle Libre for over 18 months. I use it in combination with the Omnipod insulin pump system. I was taught to use alternate arms for the sensor, which I do, but I don't use the alarm. I check my bloods before bed and adjust insulin/glucose accordingly. I wake about 4am normally and check my bloods again then. I totally trust the Libre system and have found it life changing. My HbA1c stands at 56. I find no difference between the arms the sensor is applied to but it is important to use alternate arms.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm on my 6th sensor since starting which has been giving erratic results since I applied it and Abbott have sent a replacement. From other posts I think you have to assume that every so often a sensor will behave oddly or not work at all. This one stopped working for an hour last week and overshoots when going high so is much higher than a finger prick test. I've never had the 'settling down' problem. All mine so far have settled after the 1st hour.

Gafspa

Hi. I'm on my 6th sensor since starting which has been giving erratic results since I applied it and Abbott have sent a replacement. From other posts I think you have to assume that every so often a sensor will behave oddly or not work at all. This one stopped working for an hour last week and overshoots when going high so is much higher than a finger prick test. I've never had the 'settling down' problem. All mine so far have settled after the 1st hour.

Thank you if it continues to be erratic I might contact abbot as I’ve also had a gap in graph.
I didn’t think anything about it till now!

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

To put it simple, Libre is terrible. Would never ever trust my Libre to check my blood sugar again, at all,

Worst sensor I know of, and misleading. Libre sensor could be off by up to 5-6 mmol when I tried it, and that’s the best I could get after several days of calibration.

In my opinion Libre sensor is useless, and should have been out of production a long time ago, if you ask me. Totaly useless and a complete waste of cgm.

Think you should try dexcom, or iPro2 if you have an insulin pump. Way more accurate, and actually works, unlike Libre which is a joke in my opinion.

Could rather not check my blood sugar at all than using Libre. As Libre is more like a russian roulette or guessing device, rather than a working cgm.

In most cases I could probably ask my family or friends to guess my blood sugar, and it would most likely be more accurate than the Libre sensor.

Edit: Others might have better experiences with Libre than I, I just wanted to state that this sensor does not work for, or with everyone. Unlike other more trustworthy sensors.

Last edited:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Thank you if it continues to be erratic I might contact abbot as I’ve also had a gap in graph.
I didn’t think anything about it till now!
A gap in the graph could just be that the last scan was more than 8 hours prior

I never found libre particularly accurate but the inaccuracy was consistent