Routine HBA1C testing.

wiltshirekit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Will the current NHS restrictions on routine blood testing mean that my routine tests will not be carried out? If so, with restriction on finger prick testing, how will I be able to monitor my blood levels?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will the current NHS restrictions on routine blood testing mean that my routine tests will not be carried out? If so, with restriction on finger prick testing, how will I be able to monitor my blood levels?
I had my diabetic review in person and blood test on time, last week.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
What restriction?

The only restriction in the local hospitals to me is that you have to book a blood test and not just walk-in

Just had my annual forms through... plus some forms I've had for a while that I will get done at the same time

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I had my diabetic review in person and blood test on time, last week.
Wow you are lucky! In my area you book your blood test then have to have a phone call with the GP or nurse. I have a phone anxiety so cannot do that, which means (yet again) no annual tests

Reactions: Stupot1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I expected to have to miss my blood test and review last November, but I received a letter and an email from the surgery saying my diabetes bloods and review were due and I should telephone reception to book the blood test, after which I should ring again to make a telephone appointment with my nurse. I had the bloods taken and examined the results on line. As all was well, with nothing abnormal, I decided not to bother the nurse.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I expected to have to miss my blood test and review last November, but I received a letter and an email from the surgery saying my diabetes bloods and review were due and I should telephone reception to book the blood test, after which I should ring again to make a telephone appointment with my nurse. I had the bloods taken and examined the results on line. As all was well, with nothing abnormal, I decided not to bother the nurse.
Wish we had email dialogue with the GP practice

Mezza n

Wow you are lucky! In my area you book your blood test then have to have a phone call with the GP or nurse. I have a phone anxiety so cannot do that, which means (yet again) no annual tests

Same here it’s all done over the telephone hard not seeing nurse face to face to discuss bloods etc.

Reactions: Stupot1 and coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Same here it’s all done over the telephone hard not seeing nurse face to face to discuss bloods etc.
I'm thinking of writing to the practice to see if there's another way of contact other than phone or video screen ... both which I cannot do. My daughter is even more anxious than me, so I cannot rope her in to help me. She has SM along with severe social anxiety

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have my tests every 3 months, I have it done at home have had it done like that for the last 25 years, covid has not changed that here in France, In fact covid has not affected any surgeries ( I have had eyes with cataracts done this year plus having new pump and cgm training ) and all my normal hospital appointments have been normal except for having to wear masks

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm thinking of writing to the practice to see if there's another way of contact other than phone or video screen ... both which I cannot do. My daughter is even more anxious than me, so I cannot rope her in to help me. She has SM along with severe social anxiety
Can't you just go to the surgery, speak to the receptionist and explain the situation? As long as you haven't got Covid symptoms and you wear a mask, it shouldn't be a problem.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't you just go to the surgery, speak to the receptionist and explain the situation? As long as you haven't got Covid symptoms and you wear a mask, it shouldn't be a problem.
Hi Mr Pot, I have done this already. I was told that they can make me a phone appointment with my doctor. I told them that I cannot do that, but they offered no alternative solution

Stupot1

Simply the NHS, Doctors and patient care has become a nightmare, telephone calls for patients does not cut it. No face to face a doctor can tell a lot from a person’s expressions and worries. I do hope things turn around and this is not the future