Libre 2 Diary

HeliGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Load eating , idiots.
I am sure this has been done before , so if it’s not relevant or already covered elsewhere I won’t carry it on.

I’ve just applied a Libre 2 for the first time today.

At first it’s quite daunting if you look at the needle built into the sensor, I put it down and decided not to bother.

Then I “manned up” after imagining what my daughter would say, is she could see me wimping out of the big needle.

Application was entirely painless , to the point that I can’t even feel the sensor on my arm 5 hours later,not at at any time since it was applied.

Up to now I know that scanning is a bit hit and miss, to the point I thought initially it was broken.

It takes an an hour after activation before you can scan it for a reading.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you applied the sensor the same day you activated it, I recommend being a bit sceptical about the readings. Many of us find the reaction of our body to the alien object inserted in our arm will result in dodgy numbers until the body is used to it it. Therefore, it is common to apply the sensor a few days before activating.

Once the sensor has “bedded in”, I still find readings in double figures or below 4, tend to be less accurate.

As for the daunting needle, it is only used to insert the incredibly thin filament and does not remain.

HeliGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Load eating , idiots.
If you applied the sensor the same day you activated it, I recommend being a bit sceptical about the readings. Many of us find the reaction of our body to the alien object inserted in our arm will result in dodgy numbers until the body is used to it it. Therefore, it is common to apply the sensor a few days before activating.

Once the sensor has “bedded in”, I still find readings in double figures or below 4, tend to be less accurate.

As for the daunting needle, it is only used to insert the incredibly thin filament and does not remain.

It certainly seems a bit inaccurate at the moment, I think the trends are probably correct but the raw values are out by about 1-1.15 mmol/l at the moment.

HeliGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Load eating , idiots.
Still can’t really feel it, which is great.

I didn’t trust myself not to knock it off, so I’ve covered it with a plaster designed for the purpose bought off Amazon, felt like it pushed it in a bit as I could feel it for about 5 minutes after that.

Readings are 0.6-1.0 below comparable finger prick tests currently.

Trend is interesting to see and not surprising up to now.

Still can’t quite scan it easily every time.

I’ve read up on what the Sensor % is about as it looks like you might run out scans at first , that’s a poor assumption , you won’t run out of scans. The terminology is a bit poor in my opinion as the percentage seems to be for a period that has yet to happen so not hugely useful till the end of the period I believe.

HeliGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Load eating , idiots.
Took it out today, once again felt nothing as it came out apart from the glue sticking to my arm.

It’s worked pretty well, the high glucose alarm works, and it’s handy that it can shared with someone else’s phone. I assume the low glucose alarm also works but I didn’t set it off once during my two week trial.

It’s really handy to see a trend throughout the day, especially after periods of speed or distance running.

Foods that might have seemed innocuous previously I will now avoid more often, but other stuff like a Chinese meal I like without chips are absolutely fine.

I plan to stop Metformin tomorrow (with Dr agreement) and repeat the processing few weeks time when I will wear another Libre 2.

Reactions: Dandelade