How do you use your Libre 2?

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So on my second Libre 2 sensor now and one thing that's become clear to me is that whilst the Alarms are useful there are times when they're not. I've set my range quite tight (to account for the continued drop/spike after the alarm is triggered).

The thing is the Libre has always been sensitive to sudden events, e.g. Bolus Insulin beginning to work, Exercise, the initial spike from food. So I find I have to disregard alarms around those events.

So generally I wait until 75mins post meal before I take the alarms seriously, with exercise I always blood test when I get an alarm just to be safe. Do any of you do similar? If you don’t, why not? Do you just give yourself a wide target range?

Reactions: Antje77

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Alarms drove me mad, went off at 2am with a bg of 6.6 etc. alarms all turned off, so I use the Libre2 as the Libre1

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Alarms drove me mad, went off at 2am with a bg of 6.6 etc. alarms all turned off, so I use the Libre2 as the Libre1
But why didn't you set your alarm higher instead of completely turning off the alarm function?
I get not wanting to be woken up by a 6.6, but now it doesn't warn you for low levels either.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you just give yourself a wide target range?
I adjust my target range all of the time!
Lazy day at home? - tight target.
Active day with walking or swimming or sailing or such? - higher target on the top.
Lots of driving and eating unusual food? - higher low alarm for safe driving and because unusual foods might drop me quicker.
Need a real good night of sleep? - higher high alarm to not be disturbed unless something really strange is going on.
Having one of those weeks where I tend to go higher than usual all the time? - Higher high alarm to not be bothered all te time.
Eating (out) with friends? Higher high alarm, no use in being alarmed right after bolusing and eating when I simply have to wait for it to come down.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
But why didn't you set your alarm higher instead of completely turning off the alarm function?
I get not wanting to be woken up by a 6.6, but now it doesn't warn you for low levels either.
It was set higher, maybe my phone is possessed? 13.3 for some reason

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was set higher, maybe my phone is possessed? 13.3 for some reason
Are you sure it was the high alarm going off and not the signal loss alarm?
Most people I know turn the signal loss alarm off because it keeps going off, and usually it will pick up the signal again.

If you'd like to have use of the alarms, I'd recommend looking a bit further into the app and the possibilities.

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you sure it was the high alarm going off and not the signal loss alarm?
Most people I know turn the signal loss alarm off because it keeps going off, and usually it will pick up the signal again.

If you'd like to have use of the alarms, I'd recommend looking a bit further into the app and the possibilities.
Oh, maybe, yeah probly, I’ll take a look, Thankyou

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

It works pretty well for me pre-emting hypos before they happen for me.
I'm still hypo awair, however I can shorten the time I feel it..
I'm also less likely to overtreat in a low frenzy.
I still check on the rise with the meter..

Reactions: StewM

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So you dont use insulin ? That would change things surely ??

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
So do you use insulin ?
Hi, yes I use insulin, the levels were set at 3.9 to 13.3, as suggested it must have been a faulty signal loss, I turned it on but was woken up by a high in the night so turned it off again lol

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very happy with the default alarm settings and like being woken at night if I do hit the lower level.

Reactions: StewM

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Found this thread interesting. Particularly your way of managing the alarms @Antje77 Have my first 2 sitting in the drawer waiting, tantalising, for 3 weeks time when I have finished off my 1s.

Reactions: Antje77

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My Libre 2 alarms have never worked, gone back to using miaomiao. Not at all impressed by Libre2

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Leave the app open and running in the back ground so that it is always connected to the sensor. Closing it means that the connection is broken which is why the signal lost alarm goes.

Also with the notifications clear or dismiss - don’t just ignore. If you do they will keep going off. Also likewise if you don’t scan after a hyper or hypo alarm ASAP you will get reminders every couple of minutes. By scanning ASAP it stops this.

Reactions: Fenn

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Leave the app open and running in the back ground so that it is always connected to the sensor. Closing it means that the connection is broken which is why the signal lost alarm goes.

Also with the notifications clear or dismiss - don’t just ignore. If you do they will keep going off. Also likewise if you don’t scan after a hyper or hypo alarm ASAP you will get reminders every couple of minutes. By scanning ASAP it stops this.
That’s interesting I don’t find I need the App open and running to achieve the same results. Which maybe suggests there’s a software issue here with some versions of the Libre app.

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s interesting I don’t find I need the App open and running to achieve the same results. Which maybe suggests there’s a software issue here with some versions of the Libre app.

Do you use the alarms? If I accidentally close mine the alarm goes off on my phone to say signal lost - which is how I worked out to leave it open.