New Insulin User

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Officially, I have been type 2 since 2007 but they suspected it would have been a lot earlier but undiagnosed.
For the first 7 years, it was diet-controlled (up and down) and then 7 years with metformin (gradually getting worse over time).
I am now 44 and 2 years ago, had a shed load of cells removed from my cervix. It triggered menopause and over these past 2 years, my diabetes has spiralled out of control. My HbA1c was 105, despite eating well and being on metformin.
So today, after seeing the head diabetic nurse at my Doctor's surgery, it was agreed to go on Insulin.
To be fair, I could see it happen.

So, I am happy to be given any links, advice etc. This is new to me and I'm relaxed about it but hopeful that it won't last too long

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all,

Officially, I have been type 2 since 2007 but they suspected it would have been a lot earlier but undiagnosed.
For the first 7 years, it was diet-controlled (up and down) and then 7 years with metformin (gradually getting worse over time).
I am now 44 and 2 years ago, had a shed load of cells removed from my cervix. It triggered menopause and over these past 2 years, my diabetes has spiralled out of control. My HbA1c was 105, despite eating well and being on metformin.
So today, after seeing the head diabetic nurse at my Doctor's surgery, it was agreed to go on Insulin.
To be fair, I could see it happen.

So, I am happy to be given any links, advice etc. This is new to me and I'm relaxed about it but hopeful that it won't last too long

Don't want to appear rude, but it might be better if you had some specific questions. What do you feel that you need to know?

One point though, - not all insulins are created equal, there are several different types and it would help to know which one you're on.

Regards
Urb'

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't want to appear rude, but it might be better if you had some specific questions. What do you feel that you need to know?

One point though, - not all insulins are created equal, there are several different types and it would help to know which one you're on.

Regards
Urb'

Not rude at all.
The most pressing question I have is how will it affect my eating pattern. I have a very sensitive stomach and do not feel hungry most of the time. I eat because I had to medicate with Metformin.

I have been put on Humulin. I will be shown how to on Tuesday, but I wonder of there is any important questions I should ask the nurse. I have a tendency to forget!

Reactions: urbanracer

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The most pressing question I have is how will it affect my eating pattern

Hi there, as stated above it really helps to know (if you know) what insulin you are referring to? If it's bolus (for meals) for example, then generally speaking if you miss a meal, you don't take the insulin. If it's basal (long acting for between meals), then you take that regardless of whether you eat, if it's a mixed insulin, the regime is wholly different again as you would end up eating whether you felt like it or not. You might end up on 2 x lots or one lot or anything really so there is no answer to your most pressing question without that specific information. x

Edited to add; I see you mention humulin and I don't know much about that so hopefully others will help. x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Reactions: urbanracer