andyR57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I am supposedly pre-diabetic although the Doctors keep changing their minds. I have been monitoring my sugar levels a fair bit lately because I have started having tremors/shaking that wake me from sleep in the night and I am trying to establish if sugar levels are the issue. Most times 2 hours after a meal my levels are below 6.5 but for the last two evenings I have been getting strange readings. Last night for instance 2 hours after first bite I was 6.2 then 1 hour later was 5.1 so I had one chocolate digestive [to test effect] and 1 hour later was 5.6. I had nothing else to eat or drink and tested 1.5 hours later at bedtime and was 6.6 [retested at 6.4]? My main issue is that my morning sugars are always without exception higher than my bedtime readings and I understand this might be due to the dawn phenomenon but I also seem to get rising blood sugars after a 5/6 hour fast? Another strange thing was the night before I had pizza and at 2 hours was 6.8 but at bed which was 4 hours after first bite I was shocked that my sugar level was 10.1 but the following morning my level was 5.4 which was the lowest it had been for 2 years. I am just confused at the moment - has anyone else encountered this or have any suggestions please.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I am supposedly pre-diabetic although the Doctors keep changing their minds. I have been monitoring my sugar levels a fair bit lately because I have started having tremors/shaking that wake me from sleep in the night and I am trying to establish if sugar levels are the issue. Most times 2 hours after a meal my levels are below 6.5 but for the last two evenings I have been getting strange readings. Last night for instance 2 hours after first bite I was 6.2 then 1 hour later was 5.1 so I had one chocolate digestive [to test effect] and 1 hour later was 5.6. I had nothing else to eat or drink and tested 1.5 hours later at bedtime and was 6.6 [retested at 6.4]? My main issue is that my morning sugars are always without exception higher than my bedtime readings and I understand this might be due to the dawn phenomenon but I also seem to get rising blood sugars after a 5/6 hour fast? Another strange thing was the night before I had pizza and at 2 hours was 6.8 but at bed which was 4 hours after first bite I was shocked that my sugar level was 10.1 but the following morning my level was 5.4 which was the lowest it had been for 2 years. I am just confused at the moment - has anyone else encountered this or have any suggestions please.
None of those reading sound diabetic to me. Because of the fat in a pizza inhibiting the effect of the carbs the rise is delayed. It is even called the pizza effect.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Did you drink alcohol with the pizza?

andyR57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
also forgot to mention that sometimes I get symptoms of hypoglycaemia but when I check my levels its normally about 5 which surely is too high for it to be possible.

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been getting strange readings I test in the morning my bloods was 6.5 i tested 2 hours after food. It was 6.4 and that's with slow release metforming. I've been getting trouble with digestion lately I'm also getting a strange stinging sensation over my back arms and head. I have gone to the doctors about this but I can't seem to get them to take this serious. With this bloody covid rubbish is all they give a t...s about.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No alcohol
That rules out stunting any DP by keeping the liver busy with booze.. :)

also forgot to mention that sometimes I get symptoms of hypoglycaemia but when I check my levels its normally about 5 which surely is too high for it to be possible.

Yep, 5 is normal & in ideal perameters. What symptoms do you get?

andyR57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
start feeling vague, shaky, weak, really hungry and sorry to say agitated. And I can go from fine to this state within literally minutes. Once I have a glass of milk start to recover as well within about 15 minutes.

Last edited:

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
start feeling vague, shaky, weak, really hungry and sorry to say agitated. And I can from fine to this state within literally minutes. Once I have a glass of milk start to recover as well within about 15 minutes.
You can get hypo symptoms with a rapid fall in blood glucose levels ...

HbA1c pre-diabetic 42mmol/mol - so you have 2 listed above this value and 2 listed below which might be why your doctor has said you are/are not pre-diabetic at different times ;)

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

You are right, 5mmols is in normal blood glucose levels. What I believe it is if you have prediabetes, is similar to a sugar crash, but I can't be certain.
What are your morning fasting levels, say, half hour after getting out of bed?
They might be higher because of dawn phenomenon, which is when your liver gives you a glucose boost to get you up. All normal.

If you are eating pizza, you are not going low carb, if you ever want to be back to eating carbs, then you have to reduce your carbs, reduce your portion size, a little more exercise, and better control of your blood glucose levels.
If you continue with too many carbs, you will probably have T2 sooner or later.

If you're not sure keep asking!

andyR57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are right, 5mmols is in normal blood glucose levels. What I believe it is if you have prediabetes, is similar to a sugar crash, but I can't be certain.
What are your morning fasting levels, say, half hour after getting out of bed?
They might be higher because of dawn phenomenon, which is when your liver gives you a glucose boost to get you up. All normal.

If you are eating pizza, you are not going low carb, if you ever want to be back to eating carbs, then you have to reduce your carbs, reduce your portion size, a little more exercise, and better control of your blood glucose levels.
If you continue with too many carbs, you will probably have T2 sooner or later.

If you're not sure keep asking!
levels at bedtime in the low 5's and early morning always higher in the range 6-6.8 and that's after a 14-16 hour fast. Also like I said earlier levels start increasing after a 5 hour fast as well.
Thanks every one for your replies - really appreciate them.

Last edited: