Book Corner.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
**** Francis. I've just finished one I read years ago, and two I had not read before. I may keep on 'til I have read all that are in the library.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been loaned a book by a lovely lady at my diet class. It's an autobiography about a school inspector called Gervase Phinn.

It's set up on the wilds of Yorkshire so some of the way f speaking may not come too easily to people but its a great book and well worth the laugh it gives you. Hoping to finish it in the next day or so as then I might be loaned the follow up.

(The book likens itself to James Herriot)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wolfie11969 the autobiography sounds very interesting. I love James Herriot's books, and I also love Miss Read's novels about village school life, so I will see if I can find a copy of Gervase Phinn's book.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@wolfie11969 the autobiography sounds very interesting. I love James Herriot's books, and I also love Miss Read's novels about village school life, so I will see if I can find a copy of Gervase Phinn's book.

It's called The Other Side of the Dale

I believe there may be others :)

Reactions: hankjam

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll read almost anything, as long as it's in English and on my Kindle.

HP and Twilight, on the other hand, I HAVE to have the real thing. ;)

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll read almost anything, as long as it's in English and on my Kindle.

HP and Twilight, on the other hand, I HAVE to have the real thing. ;)

nothing can beat a good physical book in your hands. I do have an e-reader but only use it on holidays as obviously saves taking lots of heavy books

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm reading Peter James' latest book called Left you Dead. Easy to read, good characters, good plots. Love reading these books in the Roy Grace series

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Two John Grisham's and a Louis L'Amour western, not read the latter for decades.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading Alchemist by Peter James. It's not in the Roy Grace series (naughty me bought a load of books in the Grace series to replace books given to my aunt. It was only to refill the book shelf, honest)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just finished "Sackett" by Louis L'Amour (and followed that with a Sam Elliott movie). Now looking for my next good read. Hmmm ... never heard of Peter James or Roy Grace before ... wonder if they're available for Kindle ...

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just finished "Sackett" by Louis L'Amour (and followed that with a Sam Elliott movie). Now looking for my next good read. Hmmm ... never heard of Peter James or Roy Grace before ... wonder if they're available for Kindle ...

Peter James is the author, the first book is called Dead Simple. Happy reading

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Currently reading “Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain surgery” by Henry Marsh, pompous yet humble writer- quite funny really

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been a bit slack with reading. Took me a while to read Alchemist - not because the book was bad or boring but my attention span has been very hit and miss (I blame the bipolar)

I am reading a book called The Missing Sister by Lucinda Riley. It's the latest in a series about 7 adopted sisters. As it's a library book I'm really swiftly reading it so as it can go back before I go on holiday.

Next in line is another Gervaise Phinn called Head over Heels in the Dales. Its book number 3 in the school inspector series

After that it will be the e-reader as i dont want to start a book to have to leave it or a week

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished two books. One surprised me no end.
Victor Hugo Les Misérables. Took me 5 weeks and was delightful and a bit of a page turner at the end.... didn't really pay attention when it was on TV.
No Two: The silence of the Girls. Pat Barker. Truely excellent. Trojan war from the perspective of a Queen then slave.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Victor Hugo Les Misérables. Took me 5 weeks and was delightful and a bit of a page turner at the end.... didn't really pay attention when it was on TV.
No Two: The silence of the Girls. Pat Barker. Truely excellent. Trojan war from the perspective of a Queen then slave.

Oooo I’ve got the silence of the girls on my “to read” list…looking forward to it

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished “Do no harm”

started “Wolf Hall”….already obsessed, my goodness this books going to be good!

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I loved reading Les Mis. I have had an obsession for many a year to go see it as a stage show and respective hubby number 1 didnt twig and respective hubby number 2 has bought me three different versions, one being the BBC tv show and 2 versions of the stage show. I'll get there eventually.

In my reading list I also have War and Peace and Anna Karenina. I need to watch the tv show of War and Peace again to familiarise myself with the characters as the Russian names can be a bit difficult.

As a Valentine's present one year hubby bought me Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. That was a great book too if you like the epics