Sick as a chip ☹️

Linsbxx

Hi guys x please can you help? I am finding the advice in this group incredible x I was diagnosed with Type 2 in July. My HBA1C was 100. I am currently on 1000mg of Metformin in the morning and 1000mg at night. Is this a lot? X I recently had my bloods taken again as I have a constant feeling of nausea and tiredness. The results came back that my HBA1C is now 91 and they have found alkaline so now need more tests . Should I be worried? I have been following a Keto diet and joined a gym. I am 5 ft 3 and weigh 80kg so am not massively overweight but still a bit on the round side x I am just finding the whole thing a bit daunting and would massively appreciate any advice you guys can give x
Thanks for reading
Xxxxx

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
**** forgot to mention my results on my glucose monitor daily testing range between 9 and 16 on average xxxx

Without knowing your exact situation, 2000 Mg is the max dosage of Metformin normally. As a type 2 by following a low carb lifestyle you will help your body cope with less sugar thus improve your insulin resistance. Normally as your sugars control on low carb you will find your weight will drop Quick maths you circa 30 BMI now even if the BMI scale is wrong by 10% as we know one size does not fit all you will benefit with your insulin resistance with weight loss. Having high blood sugar especially double digits can make you feel pretty sluggish and not great. All the best and good luck on your journey as you will find lots of ideas on low carb lifestyle and plenty people on the forum with wonderful food ideas .

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi guys x please can you help? I am finding the advice in this group incredible x I was diagnosed with Type 2 in July. My HBA1C was 100. I am currently on 1000mg of Metformin in the morning and 1000mg at night. Is this a lot? X I recently had my bloods taken again as I have a constant feeling of nausea and tiredness. The results came back that my HBA1C is now 91 and they have found alkaline so now need more tests . Should I be worried? I have been following a Keto diet and joined a gym. I am 5 ft 3 and weigh 80kg so am not massively overweight but still a bit on the round side x I am just finding the whole thing a bit daunting and would massively appreciate any advice you guys can give x
Thanks for reading
Xxxxx
You could scroll up to the top of the page until you see search (top right).
Type in 'nutritional thingy' and this should lead you to @JoKalsbeek 's blog. Very useful info there. Good luck!

Last edited:

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Thanks for reading
Xxxxx

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Metformin made me sick as a dog. I’m on 500 but I only take one a day - meant to b 2 - as I still cannot tolerate 2. I can just about manage one without puking. My bloods are in the 6 to 11 still; my last a1c 50. Good luck. Speak to your nurse - I find her better than the GP. X. I’m 5 3 and weigh 11 stone 12. I’m 53.

Linsbxx

Awwww bless you SuNuman x it’s so difficult feeling so sick all of the time x my nurse has left so now feel a bit like I’m being passed around at the minute x I have a phone appointment with the nurse next week so hopefully she will be able to answer some of my hundreds of question thanks for the advice xxxxx

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Thank you for posting that link. I have a question, though. The bolded sentence under #6 that says "Fats are as good as a glucose flatline."
I have no idea what that means. Are fats bad like a flatline on a hospital monitor? I can't make any sense of that.

I would say she means that fats will not cause any rise in glucose levels, so if you were to plot a graph of your levels after eating fats it would result in a flat line.

Reactions: LaoDan and EllieM

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on SR or ER metformin these are gentler on the stomach than the normal metformin I am afraid that you have to have patience ( sorry) Just keep on with lower carbs and higher fat ,drinking water helps also and exercise Keep up the good work
Carol

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Linsbxx sorry to hear you’re feeling sick all the time. Did this start at the same time you started taking metformin or at the time you started keto? Or did you start metformin and keto at the same time?
@carty has already mentioned the slow release metformin - that’s something I’d definitely discuss with your DN it seems to cause much less digestive upset than the other.
My other thought was that if you dived headfirst into keto you might not yet be used to all the fat, especially if your diet is heavy on the dairy ( too much cream and cheese can make me feel a bit yuk). If this is the case it might be worth trying to get your fats from different sources - avocados, olives, olive oil, coconut, nuts ( not too many - easy to overeat). It’s just a thought but please ignore if you are already doing this.
I find peppermint tea can help with nausea too.

Reactions: ultradad and EllieM

Linsbxx

Are you on SR or ER metformin these are gentler on the stomach than the normal metformin I am afraid that you have to have patience ( sorry) Just keep on with lower carbs and higher fat ,drinking water helps also and exercise Keep up the good work
Carol

Thanks for your advice Carol x I’m just on normal Metformin x the nurse told me to try and hold out another couple of weeks so fingers crossed things start to ease soon xxxx

Linsbxx

Hi @Linsbxx sorry to hear you’re feeling sick all the time. Did this start at the same time you started taking metformin or at the time you started keto? Or did you start metformin and keto at the same time?
@carty has already mentioned the slow release metformin - that’s something I’d definitely discuss with your DN it seems to cause much less digestive upset than the other.
My other thought was that if you dived headfirst into keto you might not yet be used to all the fat, especially if your diet is heavy on the dairy ( too much cream and cheese can make me feel a bit yuk). If this is the case it might be worth trying to get your fats from different sources - avocados, olives, olive oil, coconut, nuts ( not too many - easy to overeat). It’s just a thought but please ignore if you are already doing this.
I find peppermint tea can help with nausea too.

Hiya x I started Metformin first in July and keto just a couple of weeks ago x was hoping cutting the carbs would make me feel better ‍♀️ x I’ll give it another couple of weeks and hopefully things will calm down x just a bit fed up at the minute ☹️xxxxx

Reactions: DJC3

Linsbxx

Can you tell us what you eat in a typical day?

Hey

I normally have

Breakfast - keto coconut flour waffle or weetabix and strawberries and blueberries with natural yogurt

Lunch - chicken breast cherry tomatoes
Blueberries and walnuts and Pecans

Dinner - meat or fish with salad or vegetables

Xxxxx

Reactions: DJC3

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey

I normally have

Breakfast - keto coconut flour waffle or weetabix and strawberries and blueberries with natural yogurt

Lunch - chicken breast cherry tomatoes
Blueberries and walnuts and Pecans

Dinner - meat or fish with salad or vegetables

Xxxxx
Weetabix is a problem. Add up the carbs in your beries. Use greek style yoghurt only. Veg should be above ground.

Test before you eat and 2 hours after your first bite. If the rise is more than 2 you have eaten something you can't tolerate.