coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi everyone!
As we start to approach cooler weather and darker evenings my thoughts turn to comforting yet healthy and warming meals.
I have always cooked Cottage pies for my daughter and I, using Sweet potato as a topping as fortunately my daughter dislikes everyday potato, but is this going to be high carb?
Also has anyone got tried and tested recipes for wholesome Autumn/Winter meals that we can try please?
I've only recently had my Carb Lightbulb moment so I'm new to this despite being diabetic for five years. Thank you all :)

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of my current staples is homemade chicken and leek soup.

Chop some carrot, celery and leeks and sweat them in a pan with olive oil and a knob of butter. When soft, throw in a generous amount of trimmed and chopped chicken thighs and leave to cook for a few minutes. Top up with chicken stock, season with salt and pepper, simmer gently until ready.

I often add fresh ginger and lemongrass to make it asian-stylee, or alternatively Schwartz do little jars of Lemon and Thyme Chicken Seasoning and a shake of that adds something extra.

I don't know how your daughter is with veg, but I usually bulk it up with chopped cauli and broccoli too. Anything in the fridge can be thrown in, courgettes, peppers etc.

I love homemade soups and this one is low carb, tasty and super healthy.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Coby
I used a mix of mashed cauliflower & broccoli as the roof. Also, I make sty pie with pork mince & coop pie with chicken or turkey, just to make it a bit different. Yet to try those with the cauli & broc roof though.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Last edited:

Lakeslover

I tried a cottage pie with a mix of mashed swede and butternut squash (mashed with plenty of butter, and cheese on top) last week and it was very tasty. Lower carbs, but still carbs in it of course.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
One of my current staples is homemade chicken and leek soup.

Chop some carrot, celery and leeks and sweat them in a pan with olive oil and a knob of butter. When soft, throw in a generous amount of trimmed and chopped chicken thighs and leave to cook for a few minutes. Top up with chicken stock, season with salt and pepper, simmer gently until ready.

I often add fresh ginger and lemongrass to make it asian-stylee, or alternatively Schwartz do little jars of Lemon and Thyme Chicken Seasoning and a shake of that adds something extra.

I don't know how your daughter is with veg, but I usually bulk it up with chopped cauli and broccoli too. Anything in the fridge can be thrown in, courgettes, peppers etc.

I love homemade soups and this one is low carb, tasty and super healthy.
Thank you. I will add this to my list of 'To Try Items' :) x

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I tried a cottage pie with a mix of mashed swede and butternut squash (mashed with plenty of butter, and cheese on top) last week and it was very tasty. Lower carbs, but still carbs in it of course.
Now this is right up my street! It sounds absolutely delicious. Thank you x

Lakeslover

I’m going to get a swede and butternut squash this week and some cauliflower, cook it all up, mash, season and freeze in portions. That way it’s easy just to defrost and heat in the oven to go with winter meals or top any pie filling.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I’m going to get a swede and butternut squash this week and some cauliflower, cook it all up, mash, season and freeze in portions. That way it’s easy just to defrost and heat in the oven to go with winter meals or top any pie filling.
What an excellent idea!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We use mashed jap pumpkin on both shepherds and cottage pies.
Do you know, I have never tried Pumpkin either! LOL :D
I think I need to get out more!
I DO eat Pumpkin seeds though ... LOTS of them :)