Does anyone worry that some meds may hasten the requirement for insulin ?

Drfarxan

how old was your father when he started on insulin, and how long had he been diabetic at that point? Was he a type 2, a type 1, or LADA or MODY?
Type 2 since i was referring to type 2 diabetes, it was on 2013 and before that he did not have retinopathy. His kidney function were not that bad for his age in his 60s it was around 60. His only complication was gradual neuropathy loss of fillings in his toes. Thats after 25 years of living with type 2 dibetes. He exercised alot.

Drfarxan

PS: alot of doctors adviced him not to use insulin by the way. But his endocrinologist at the end started him on insulin after his blood sugar went up more often. Cause that is what endocrinologist and other doctors knew how to solve the issue.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2 since i was referring to type 2 diabetes, it was on 2013 and before that he did not have retinopathy. His kidney function were not that bad for his age in his 60s it was around 60. His only complication was gradual neuropathy loss of fillings in his toes. Thats after 25 years of living with type 2 dibetes. He exercised alot.
right. Let me understand: he was a type 2 for 25 years before going on insulin for the last 5 years - is that right? What were his blood sugar levels/HbA1c like over the 25 years before insulin? Was he on diabetic meds over the 25 years?

It is quite possible that the damage was slowly continuing during those 25 years before insulin, and then he reached a critical point (indicated by the loss of feeling in his toes) and the insulin kept him going for another 5 years. Without the insulin he could have got very ill faster.

I am thinking that you may be under the impression that it was the insulin which harmed him, when it could be the other way around - the insulin gave him more time.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
alot of doctors adviced him not to use insulin
why didnt the doctors want him to use insulin - did they think he could make more dietary changes, for example, to help his blood sugar levels? and were those doctors endocrinologists?

as we know, no amount of exercise can have the same affect on blood sugar levels as reducing all carbs can.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all know that meds for diabetes can only do so much. If carbs are not reduced, for whatever reason, to a levels the body can cope with, all the meds, including insulin, may not help avoid complications.

Also, for some people, their bodies need meds eventually, due to issues with their liver, pancreas, other health conditions and medication etc regardless of their low carb intake. Its the way it is. We are all different.

Drfarxan

right. Let me understand: he was a type 2 for 25 years before going on insulin for the last 5 years - is that right? What were his blood sugar levels/HbA1c like over the 25 years before insulin? Was he on diabetic meds over the 25 years?

It is quite possible that the damage was slowly continuing during those 25 years before insulin, and then he reached a critical point (indicated by the loss of feeling in his toes) and the insulin kept him going for another 5 years. Without the insulin he could have got very ill faster.

I am thinking that you may be under the impression that it was the insulin which harmed him, when it could be the other way around - the insulin gave him more time.
Like i said the idea of insulin doing damage came to me after i started following the lchf circles. One of the first video i watched to help me find a way to manage my diabetes was dr fung's "a new paradigm of insulin resistance". In his seminar he mentioned how insulin forces sugar into tissue which leads to tissue damage(eyes,kidneys,neurons e.t.c). Now your opinion of dr fung or these lchf doctors might be diff but from that and reading further about it it made sense to me and its not me who only says so.
Again like i said in the last 5 years after he started insulin the rate of complications showing up increased noticeably.. And i comfirmed it with my aunt his sister(she is 72) who is also type 2. Around the time i was diagnosed she was prescribed insulin. I advised her to go LC not very low carb got her to stop using seed oils and her blood sugar was managed by her mads only she stoped using insulin.Her blood work was normal for her age and condition without insulin. She walks alot that also helps her
Insulin is a must in other conditions sure,but to be frank and honest i don't think it helped my father in the last 5 years he started using it. It was getting worse quickly when he started using it. For a person with "insulin resistance" it should not be regular medcation if people can avoid it.

Last edited:

Drfarxan

why didnt the doctors want him to use insulin - did they think he could make more dietary changes, for example, to help his blood sugar levels? and were those doctors endocrinologists?

as we know, no amount of exercise can have the same affect on blood sugar levels as reducing all carbs can.
i don't know why i don't remember him telling me what they said only that they held off starting him on insulin. And i don't remember his bg around that time. They gave him the same old advice that is exercise and diet, but which diet? i don't know but he use eat organic real none processed food since. Yes some of them were endocrinologist he went to them for diff opinions

Last edited: