Unexplained rise

Masson1984

Hi folks,

I have just started the Libre2 scanner device. This morning I got up and immediately scanned my device, this said my sugar was 7.9 with a side way arrow (meaning it isn't going to change to much in the short time)

Half an hour later and after 2 units of insulin and zero food I checked again it was 12 with an upward arrow (meaning a sharp rise)

Does anyone have an idea why this might have occurred?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi welcome, Dawn phenomenon? Have a search it’s quite normal (for me anyway)

I believe it’s our livers dumping glucose to help us start the day, our livers don’t know we are diabetic, but I’m no expert

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Scan again 2 hours after the first bite, see what it says.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,

I have just started the Libre2 scanner device. This morning I got up and immediately scanned my device, this said my sugar was 7.9 with a side way arrow (meaning it isn't going to change to much in the short time)

Half an hour later and after 2 units of insulin and zero food I checked again it was 12 with an upward arrow (meaning a sharp rise)

Hi there, I don't know what type you are or whether my hypothesis works for both but you say you were at 7.9 and then decided to take a correction 2 units? Why was that when you were in the 7s? On a course I attended, they said that if you 'over correct' by which they meant took units of insulin to bring you down below a level that was 'fine' for you at that time, then your body thinks it's going low too fast and releases a surge of glucose from the liver in panic. So it ends up having the opposite effect. What are your glucose level targets if you don't mind me asking, the problem with first using a Libre et al, is that you can easily become obsessed with the immediate numbers and start to correct as soon as you see a number higher than you'd like, you can end up going low & high for ever that way.

When I started my Libre I checked about 60 times a day and it was extremely hard to see a reading of 10 say in between or just after a meal, and to leave it for another hour. When I did though it had always come down by itself meaning had I rushed to take more insulin I would have hypo'd...then had to take carbs...then gone high...then corrected...well you get my drift.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hi folks,

First of all, sometimes the new sensors take a while to settle in , and during that time the readings can be quite wild, up and down. So if this is happening, it might be best to do a finger prick test?
I am not sure why half and hour later you took 2 units of insulin when you were not eating anything. Are you talking about long acting insulin or short acting insulin?
Another variable might be as someone else has said, the Dawn Phenomenon which would have happened anyway...

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
First of all, sometimes the new sensors take a while to settle in , and during that time the readings can be quite wild, up and down. So if this is happening, it might be best to do a finger prick test?
I am not sure why half and hour later you took 2 units of insulin when you were not eating anything. Are you talking about long acting insulin or short acting insulin?
Another variable might be as someone else has said, the Dawn Phenomenon which would have happened anyway...
This raises an interesting question. If a non diabetic, let alone a diabetic is taking medication before eating, and swills it down with diet fizz in the belief that this will not cause digestive acids, could the action of the liver dumping glucose cause the stomach to release acid and therefore make the drug less effective?