correct insulin with Libre 2

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

when we correct our insulin dose when we need more insulin.

is it still 2 hours after meal? or as soon as I notice the bg takes off (goes high)?
thank you

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When we take correction doses, we need to be aware of insulin onboard.
If you are taking a bolus, you will have insulin on board (bolus which has not become active yet) for 4 or more hours after injecting and this need to be considered whether you correct 2 hours after injecting or 1 hour.
If you inject a correction without taking insulin on board into consideration, you are at risk of overdosing and going hypo. Just because your levels start climbing does not mean you need to inject more.

If you are not comfortable with calculating insulin on board, I recommend discussing this with your DSN as this can vary per person.

Are you also aware that Libre can be inaccurate when your levels are high? For this reason, it is always recommended to finger prick test before correcting.
For example, this afternoon, my Libre reported an unexpected 10.1. When I checked with a finger prick, the result was 7.3.

Reactions: Yaya10_10

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

is it still 2 hours after meal? or as soon as I notice the bg takes off (goes high)?
thank you
In addition to what In Response said, you might want to consider 'nudging' your Blood Sugar with short bursts of excercise. Just doing some Squats to raise your heart rate can be enough to stop a Blood Sugar spike in its tracks.

Reactions: Yaya10_10

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In addition to what In Response said, you might want to consider 'nudging' your Blood Sugar with short bursts of excercise. Just doing some Squats to raise your heart rate can be enough to stop a Blood Sugar spike in its tracks.
I find a few squats or a short burst of exercise will raise my levels and, if my levels are raised, I struggle to exercise so any attempt will push them up due to the stress.
The advice I was given was to be wary of exercise if your levels are over 9.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi,

thank you
The safest time to correct is 4 to 5 hours after your insulin dose for your meal with your next meal. If you eat normally you will spike your blood sugars as injected insulin does not match the food you are eating and follows a fixed curve (unlike a normal person). If your blood sugar returns to pre-meal levels 4 to 5 hours after eating your dose was correct and you do not need a correction.

Reactions: EllieM

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I tend to avoid correction doses as my fast acting seems to last for 5 hours so will often hypo if I correct, so I accept the high level and adjust my dose next time I eat that particular thing, but that’s just me, good luck.

Reactions: EllieM

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When we take correction doses, we need to be aware of insulin onboard.
If you are taking a bolus, you will have insulin on board (bolus which has not become active yet) for 4 or more hours after injecting and this need to be considered whether you correct 2 hours after injecting or 1 hour.
If you inject a correction without taking insulin on board into consideration, you are at risk of overdosing and going hypo. Just because your levels start climbing does not mean you need to inject more.

If you are not comfortable with calculating insulin on board, I recommend discussing this with your DSN as this can vary per person.

Are you also aware that Libre can be inaccurate when your levels are high? For this reason, it is always recommended to finger prick test before correcting.
For example, this afternoon, my Libre reported an unexpected 10.1. When I checked with a finger prick, the result was 7.3.
Thank you so much.

Yes when I inject to correct my bg I then make things worse go hupo then treat it to go high and over the place.

New thing for the inaccuracy of libre.
My libre gave me 10 this afternoon when I used finger prick it was 163.

Thanks for your advice

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah. I found out this is the safest way.
Quick exercise to lower the level.

Thanks for your reply

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find a few squats or a short burst of exercise will raise my levels and, if my levels are raised, I struggle to exercise so any attempt will push them up due to the stress.
The advice I was given was to be wary of exercise if your levels are over 9.
I very read something like do not excrecise when your bg is high this affects the ketone.

But actually I do it often

Thanks again

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The safest time to correct is 4 to 5 hours after your insulin dose for your meal with your next meal. If you eat normally you will spike your blood sugars as injected insulin does not match the food you are eating and follows a fixed curve (unlike a normal person). If your blood sugar returns to pre-meal levels 4 to 5 hours after eating your dose was correct and you do not need a correction.

Yeah but this is a long time to return to premeal level.
Tbh I stress when bg is high :(

Thanks for your advice

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I tend to avoid correction doses as my fast acting seems to last for 5 hours so will often hypo if I correct, so I accept the high level and adjust my dose next time I eat that particular thing, but that’s just me, good luck.
Yes I have the same issue.

Going low after correction and overtreat low resulting too much bg.

Thanks for your reply.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Yeah but this is a long time to return to premeal level.
Tbh I stress when bg is high :(

Thanks for your advice
I eat low carb to avoid spikes. But that's not recommended by my diabetes team who want everyone to eat normally and spike.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have the same issue.

Going low after correction and overtreat low resulting too much bg.

Thanks for your reply.
Have you considered using less Insulin when you correct, or setting the Blood Sugar threshold for correcting higher?

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat low carb to avoid spikes. But that's not recommended by my diabetes team who want everyone to eat normally and spike.
yes, you know when I eat 45 grams of carb in the morning I manage my insulin intake.

however increasing the carb always results in a higher or lower bg.

thanks for the advice

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you considered using less Insulin when you correct, or setting the Blood Sugar threshold for correcting higher?
yes, one of my problem is the changing ratio.

Sometime when I use similar ratio the bg either go higher or lower.

Thanks for the advice

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi,

thank you

Most rapid insulins don't start to work for about 50 minutes and can last for several hours... so you need to be aware of what insulin you have taken and how long ago... as if you took the insulin an hour ago you may still have enough to bring you back down to a normal level

However sometimes I've taken 3 units for food.. going sky high and know that 3 units isn't enough even for the correction so will calculate a correction

You really need to be aware of how your body reacts and learn from what happens when you 'try' different things.. but I would say most hypos I've had are due to over correction

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most rapid insulins don't start to work for about 50 minutes and can last for several hours... so you need to be aware of what insulin you have taken and how long ago... as if you took the insulin an hour ago you may still have enough to bring you back down to a normal level

However sometimes I've taken 3 units for food.. going sky high and know that 3 units isn't enough even for the correction so will calculate a correction

You really need to be aware of how your body reacts and learn from what happens when you 'try' different things.. but I would say most hypos I've had are due to over correction
Thanks bro.

So the best way and safest way I presume is to do a quick exercise to bring the level of the bg.

Thanks again