Contact sport and free style libre

Jon79

Hi all. Is there anyone using a freestyle libre sensor and also doing contact sports? Want to restart martial arts but want a way of protecting the sensor?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could try
- put a strap/plaster over the sensor
- placing the sensor somewhere on your body less likely to be hit.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Is there anyone using a freestyle libre sensor and also doing contact sports? Want to restart martial arts but want a way of protecting the sensor?
Hi,
& a warm welcome to the forum.

I don't do contact sports. But inside the arm (opposite side to where univerasally recommended.) works fo me..
Worth a try? You would know your personal activity better than anyone...
Work & play for me .. More likely getting hit by a headstock from a guitar than a door jam..

Edit; I know @Mbaker is into martial arts stuff & seem to remember he uses a sensor. He may have more relevant advice..

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi,
& a warm welcome to the forum.

I don't do contact sports. But inside the arm (opposite side to where univerasally recommended.) works fo me..
Worth a try? You would know your personal activity better than anyone...
Work & play for me .. More likely getting hit by a headstock from a guitar than a door jam..

Edit; I know @Mbaker is into martial arts stuff & seem to remember he uses a sensor. He may have more relevant advice..
@Jon79 It could be too big a challenge in a contact martial art. I do Karate, everyday - alone, so a Libre when I test is great for this. Spoke to my wife who used to be in the Brtish Judo squad, but I knew what her answer would be before asking, no chance if your art is Judo or JuJutsu. If it is Karate, Taekwondo or Kick Boxing,during kumite (sparring) the Libre will get swiped off at some point i'm sure.

I wish I could be more positive. Still on the bright side martial arts are great.

bmtest

Hi Anything is possible on martial arts. Try it and see what happens.

Before going to class watch "one arm boxer" starting Jimmy wang Yu for tips.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Henry Slade (T1, professional Rugby Union player, plays for England) says that he 'tapes over' his Dexcom, and he also appears to have bandage type material on top of it as well.

Maybe a DIY experiment of tape, bandage and perhaps even some foam type material to absorb any strikes / shocks?

If his Dexcom G6 (bigger, more awkward shape / ridges compared to the small and smooth Libre ) can survive in a Rugby match i'm sure it is possible for other contact sports.