Searchable online database of 3,200 foods

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
The Food Databanks online database is an easily accessed and quickly searchable online resource.

It is based on data extracted from PHE's McCance & Widdowsons's Composition of Foods Integrated Dataset (aka CoFID)which is about as comprehensive as can be found for data about the composition of foods.

There is a link to the COFID data, but the data is in Excel format and of little use unless you have Excel or similar. I downloaded the Excel data, edited it to suit my own interests and then copied it into my own fully searchable database.

https://quadram.ac.uk/UKfoodcomposition/

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The Food Databanks online database is an easily accessed and quickly searchable online resource.
It needs you to sign up, which I'm not keen on.
Can you tell us a bit more on what it's about?
I can get nutritional information and ingredients for almost all foods with a quick Google search, what kind of information and what kind of foods is this about?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a link to the COFID data, but the data is in Excel format and of little use unless you have Excel or similar.
The open source office software Libre Office will open excel files on windoze.

There are also Android apps that will open it as well as Google Sheets up there on cloud nine.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It needs you to sign up, which I'm not keen on.
Can you tell us a bit more on what it's about?
I can get nutritional information and ingredients for almost all foods with a quick Google search, what kind of information and what kind of foods is this about?
I'm always a bit hesitant about signing up too, but this site seems to be very safe. I signed up a few months ago and have had no problems with spam etc.
Here's a screen shot of a search I've just done for 'bread' it's showing only a fraction of the list that was produced. As far as regards 'what kinds of food?' it covers all kinds of foods and you'll be hard pressed to find a more comprehensive list in one place anywhere.
I'm not suggesting that it's the best source for everyone's needs, but just posted it to make folk aware that it exists and that it might be of use or interest for some.
bread carbs.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, @miahara , your screenshot makes it much clearer what this is about, and I agree it might be useful.
I'll put my suspicious mod hat back in its box, it's obviously not needed here. ;)

Reactions: EllieM