Strange hot/warm sensation in foot

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Since yesterday I have been experiencing a strange sensation in my right foot. It seems to feel warm but not to touch, just the sensation of it. It comes in waves every now and then, almost like someone is pouring warm water over it.
It's not a burning sensation as its only a warm feeling, so not unpleasant, but its odd and for obvious T2 reasons it is concerning me.

Has anyone experienced this? Could it be neuropathy and if so what do i do? Should I contact GP or wait and see?

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to suffer that especially at night, often had to sleep with my feet out of the covers. I couldn't even stand to have the covers touching them. Since diagnosis and returning to a low carb diet that has all gone away (touchwood). I was diagnosed with
Peripheral Neuropathy at the time, though with things that have happened since i believe i was wrongly diagnosed and in fact had Peripheral Artery Disease. I would let your doctor know and see what they prefer to do.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had/have the same thing you describe.
It was not entirely unpleasant if I'm honest, kinda felt like putting on socks that had been warmed by the fire.
Mine coincided with getting my BG in order.

After reading various theories online I eventually came to the conclusion it was recovering/regrowing nerve endings.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also had the same sensation after my first stroke. Where for several months all down my left side felt like i was stood a couple of feet from a very hot radiator, quite pleasant and maybe fits in with the improving nerve scenario.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I used to have this in my thigh and thought it was where I had shingles years before. Since weight loss and low carb its not happened since. Use to also have similar in my feet, but gone now - just freezing cold tootsies!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to get the sensation that water was running down my calf, but only when I first started low carbing. It went away over time and I have not had it for months now

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Since yesterday I have been experiencing a strange sensation in my right foot. It seems to feel warm but not to touch, just the sensation of it. It comes in waves every now and then, almost like someone is pouring warm water over it.
It's not a burning sensation as its only a warm feeling, so not unpleasant, but its odd and for obvious T2 reasons it is concerning me.

Has anyone experienced this? Could it be neuropathy and if so what do i do? Should I contact GP or wait and see?
Yes. The very mild neuropathy I have now is either a mild tingle or this warm sensation - as you say, often not unpleasant. I used to have much worse "burning feet" symptoms before my BG came down, so even if it's permanent at current levels this isn't much of an issue for me.

I don't think there's much a GP would do. Refer you for a foot check perhaps, that would at best probably tell you what you know already. If it gets worse, then you should notify your DN.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry for not coming back to this sooner. Thanks for your replies. It's interesting that people have experienced similar but attributed it to neuropathy or recovering nerve endings/lowering bgs

Whatever it was, it seems to have gone away now. It certainly wasn't unpleasant but I'd prefer it not to return