Libre fitted tomorrow

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
Can anyone give me some tips or knowhow or things they wish they knew?
I do a lot of cycling and walking is there a patch you can protect it
What about shower

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are probably 100s of threads about the Libre - patches and straps to cover it (some use Tegaderm, some use a 3D printed strap from eBay, many of us need nothing) and what are the limitations. It works fine in the shower. The Search function at the top right of the page will help you find these.
I recommend you read up on the limitations because you will be very disappointed if you expect it to be 100% accurate all the time, right from the time you apply the sensor.

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
There are probably 100s of threads about the Libre - patches and straps to cover it (some use Tegaderm, some use a 3D printed strap from eBay, many of us need nothing) and what are the limitations. It works fine in the shower. The Search function at the top right of the page will help you find these.
I recommend you read up on the limitations because you will be very disappointed if you expect it to be 100% accurate all the time, right from the time you apply the sensor.
I read there not 100% as they read your blood 15 minutes prior only what I read I will still finger pick for driving

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read there not 100% as they read your blood 15 minutes prior only what I read I will still finger pick for driving
As has been mentioned in previous threads, Libre 2 algorithm attempts to make up for this 15 minute lag by extrapolating the current trend. These threads explain the limitation with regards to first day after insertion, when high, low and when the trend is changing.
Libre are fine for driving. You do not need to finger prick for driving but you must carry your finger prick with you in case your Libre fails.

Reactions: Smiler99

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:)
Can anyone give me some tips or knowhow or things they wish they knew?
I do a lot of cycling and walking is there a patch you can protect it
What about shower

Hi,

Durability wise. For me they stick. Work rest & play. My work days can be pretty active.
On the days I wear a watch. I do have an arm band cover holding s Bluetooth bridge wich acts as a cover for the sensor.
But that's just the device I use to interpret the sensor's algorithm on an independent reader device from the phone.?
Hypos; the interstitial fluid some how takes longer to recover from sub 3.5 BGs than a meter reading or even how I feel.
So you may see a delay in how the sensor responds? (Up to 40 minutes.?) so back the lows up with your meter, especially if driving.
Showers & bathing; what can I say.. They stick. Just be carfull regarding your bathing routine that you don't catch it?

Welcome to the 21st century with the sensors. :) Lol, trust me. Far more civilised than the pee test tubes I used as a kid. ;)

I'm sure more questions will pop up as you go along.. :cool: Don't be afraid to ask.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are female, be careful when putting on and taking off bras, especially sports ones. The straps can catch

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was a little dubious at first. I purchased some premade tape / sticker covers and also a watch strap as I exercise heavily in the gym / class's alongside the sweating and showering. I bought one of the 3D cut covers and then use a strap of muscle band waterproof tape. Cheap roll off ebay around my bicep. Lasts 10-14 days easily.

I love it. When i was diagnosed at 18 yrs - 14yrs ago - I said to the nurses and doctors why cant something like this be invented! They said technology is always advancing. What will be in another 14yrs...

Reactions: KK123 and McHelen

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine stick like glue so no problem but I do use the alcoholic wipe and shave in that area. Fine in the shower. I don't need to cover the sensor

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find placement is key. Back of the arm works best for me(doesn’t get knocked on doorways)
Have got a 3d cutout (like an elasticated watch strap) I wear for the gym and some waterproof plaster covers for swimming.
they stick so well I have trouble getting my nails under it to take it off again
It’s enlightening how much information you can get from it, good luck with it