Blood Glucose 4-5 hours postprandial

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @finsit, when I first started it look longer than 2 hours for blood sugar to come down. I was in the 6/7s before food and it’d be 8/9 for a few hours before returning to the 6s. I was still lowering carbs at about 60g a day at that point.

Then as I got used to what I needed to do and came to terms with, I decreased carbs more and more. The weight loss continued. A few months later I’m in the 5s before food, my insulin resistance must have improved and combined with only consuming carbs in above ground veg, means it barely blips an increase anymore.

Thought it might be helpful to hear from someone not that far into the journey and that if your body reacts the same as mine and keep it up, the bloods will eventually follow! I now only appear insulin resistant in the mornings after dawn phenomenon and hoping with more weight loss to reduce this too. (Disclaimer- not everybody reacts in the same way, it depends on the original cause of insulin resistance I think).

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you!
I have just enrolled myself in a degree level diploma for nutrition therapy so i am interested to see how people react to diets. So what is your average BG and a1c now based on CGM (when you used to wear it) or recent labs? I understand from Dr. Bernstein that BG affect on all mortality is again a U shaped and the best is around 83 mg/dl, below this or above this both are not good if prolonged. I am mostly in 5s and after food in 6s for couple of hours. I have added more carbs after the initial very strict 20-30 gms/day till i got my fasting insulin at 3 which means i didnt have insulin resistance anymore.

From my personal experience and a study i read in the past that once you have normal blood glucose and no hyperinsulinemia, the fats around liver are melted, your beta cells start producing insulin more efficiently. I guess this might be the case with you and me and several others. I can have 20-30 gms in one meal now and can not reach 7 as opposed to 3 months ago where half of this amount will take me to 7.

EDIT: im talking of low GI carbs here including dates and underground vegetables. A small amount of rice will still send me over 8.

Dandelade

I have just enrolled myself in a degree level diploma for nutrition therapy so i am interested to see how people react to diets. So what is your average BG and a1c now based on CGM (when you used to wear it) or recent labs? I understand from Dr. Bernstein that BG affect on all mortality is again a U shaped and the best is around 83 mg/dl, below this or above this both are not good if prolonged. I am mostly in 5s and after food in 6s for couple of hours. I have added more carbs after the initial very strict 20-30 gms/day till i got my fasting insulin at 3 which means i didnt have insulin resistance anymore.

From my personal experience and a study i read in the past that once you have normal blood glucose and no hyperinsulinemia, the fats around liver are melted, your beta cells start producing insulin more efficiently. I guess this might be the case with you and me and several others. I can have 20-30 gms in one meal now and can not reach 7 as opposed to 3 months ago where half of this amount will take me to 7.

EDIT: im talking of low GI carbs here including dates and underground vegetables. A small amount of rice will still send me over 8.
That is interesting - would love to hear what you learn related to diet and blood sugar. The cgm predicted 5.5 and my last hba1c was 44 but will have caught the 4 weeks of the eatwell plate before I started.

I’ve been too timid to start testing how many carbs I can handle in one meal until I lose another stone and a half and the morning insulin resistance is gone. I don’t quite trust myself yet but ok with the nothing but veg carb rule! The cgm gave me the confidence to stop testing and I’m just keeping on doing my thing now, intending on testing with another libre every half a stone though.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is interesting - would love to hear what you learn related to diet and blood sugar. The cgm predicted 5.5 and my last hba1c was 44 but will have caught the 4 weeks of the eatwell plate before I started.

I’ve been too timid to start testing how many carbs I can handle in one meal until I lose another stone and a half and the morning insulin resistance is gone. I don’t quite trust myself yet but ok with the nothing but veg carb rule! The cgm gave me the confidence to stop testing and I’m just keeping on doing my thing now, intending on testing with another libre every half a stone though.
Great. I have already applied for a free trial and will see how it goes when i start using it. Need to do lot of experiments :) Based on the CGM data you shared, your a1c should have been much lower than the one you mentioned? Or i have not interpreted the graph well. You said you are mainly in 3s and 4s? That should put you under a1c of 30 ?

Dandelade

Great. I have already applied for a free trial and will see how it goes when i start using it. Need to do lot of experiments :) Based on the CGM data you shared, your a1c should have been much lower than the one you mentioned? Or i have not interpreted the graph well. You said you are mainly in 3s and 4s? That should put you under a1c of 30 ?
Maybe you mixed me up with another reply? I’m in the 5s mainly now. The hba1c was annoyingly 8 weeks after my first hba1c so if it measures the last 12 weeks will have caught the first month where it wasn’t controlled as well. Fingers crossed anyway, I’m 3 months in and going from the cgm!

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe you mixed me up with another reply? I’m in the 5s mainly now. The hba1c was annoyingly 8 weeks after my first hba1c so if it measures the last 12 weeks will have caught the first month where it wasn’t controlled as well. Fingers crossed anyway, I’m 3 months in and going from the cgm!
Sorry i mixed you with @LaoDan because your reply came just after my reply to his post. I will wait for his reply anyway.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Sorry i mixed you with @LaoDan because your reply came just after my reply to his post. I will wait for his reply anyway.
My last a1c was 5.1% , I think that’s around 32. But yeah, I’m trying to knock off another 10kg, so I’m in a calorie deficit, low carb and exercising like crazy. So I wouldn’t be surprised if my a1c is lower now. Probably not sustainable, but I’d be happy if I can maintain in non diabetic range

Reactions: finsit