On the go….

Finncity

I am going on a trip this week and wondered what everyone else takes as food for the journey, my flight is at 6.00am so wont have time for breakfast.

My plan was an apple and some nuts but maybe you guys have some great ideas, has to be very portable.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheese instead of apple. Maybe olives. Depending where you are going, eat before you land.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends how long the flight is for me. I often do a little packed lunch, cheese, maybe some low carb crackers, slices of meat, that sort of thing. Be careful about the nuts though and check the airline allows them.

Finncity

Its a short flight only norway to Uk via amsterdam.

I will go with the cheese option just in case, will be yummy anyway. Good idea! Thanks

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I will go with the cheese option just in case, will be yummy anyway. Good idea! Thanks
I like to take Peperami as an emergency snack as they don't need refrigeration. Food on flights could be a problem now the UK is not in the EU but I guess if you have eaten it before you arrive it's ok.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not flown for a couple of years, but I have caught the first long distance train out of Bundaberg to Brisbane which left at 05:30 am for the four and half hour trip.

I used to cook some bacon and egg up the night before, and then heat it up in the microwave in the morning and make a sandwich to eat with my cup of coffee. Then off to the rail station by 5:00 to book in, no food available on the station.

Breakfast orders are served after an hour if you wanted a feed and something to drink, you ordered this when they check your tickets on the train. There is also a refreshment bar where you can get snacks and drinks.

Reactions: Goonergal

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If there's something you should be able to find during a layover in Amsterdam, it's excellent cheeses, so you might not even have to bring your own. ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not flown for a couple of years, but I have caught the first long distance train out of Bundaberg to Brisbane which left at 05:30 am for the four and half hour trip.

I used to cook some bacon and egg up the night before, and then heat it up in the microwave in the morning and make a sandwich to eat with my cup of coffee. Then off to the rail station by 5:00 to book in, no food available on the station.

Breakfast orders are served after an hour if you wanted a feed and something to drink, you ordered this when they check your tickets on the train. There is also a refreshment bar where you can get snacks and drinks.
I am not sure that helps someone going by air from Norway to the UK.

Tannith

BANNED
I am going on a trip this week and wondered what everyone else takes as food for the journey, my flight is at 6.00am so wont have time for breakfast.

My plan was an apple and some nuts but maybe you guys have some great ideas, has to be very portable.
I've heard you aren't allowed to open packets of nuts on some airlines, in case there are people on board with nut allergies.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure that helps someone going by air from Norway to the UK.
I thought it was clear enough to see how you can get breakfast in before you got on a shortish haul flight.

The last I flew from here Bundaberg to a regional area in West Australia, which consisted of a 50 minute flight to Brisbane 6 hour flight from Brisbane to Perth, and the 60 minute flight to the destination.

I managed to have breakfast before I left in a similar fashion to my train trips. so it's doable.