How old are you and how long have you had diabetes for ?

Kels*

Was curious to see how long people have had diabetes for more so type 1 , am 26 and have had type once for 11 years . Does it get easier the older you get , any complications even with good control? Just curious to see peoples take on living with the condition !

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed with type1 when I was two, and given I'm now mid forties (trying not to remember exactly) I've now had it for 44 years (ish).
I'm actually finding it easier now, but only since the CGM's appeared - before then oh dear gods, lets not go there - mine has always been volatile (during my A-level years my HbA1c was 86-92, oops).

I am however very lucky that I've not really got much in the way of problems, I have background retinopathy which they are happy to keep checking and occasionally get maculopathy - but it has cleared up by itself both times.
I am also now a completely pessimistic cynical old fart :)

The newer tech has definitely made it much easier than it used to be, but then when I was a kid home blood glucose meters didn't even exist, but even though its is 'easier'; it can still be a complete PITA at times

Reactions: Kels*

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i have had type 1 for 49 years ..was diagnosed when i was 14 ....i think that all the available technology does help but no matter what we still have to be our pancreas 24/7 ...being diagnosed back in the old days has meant i do have some complications but overall i am doing pretty good all things considered....

Reactions: Kels* and Hopeful34

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
41 years from the age of nearly 18 , total rubbish control and I mean really rubbish for over 30 years , yep got a few complications main one I guess is below knee amputation ! But it doesn’t get me down, life and control is great . As with anyone whose had diabetes over 35 years technology and more importantly attitude towards diabetes has changed and is changing constantly , I am running towards reaching the big 50 years ( albeit a little slower than before lol)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Age 50 and 40 years in
Complications bingo sheet:
1) Partial sight loss due to pregnancy roller coaster
3 diabetic pregnancies all of which resulted in 3 healthy kids (1 of whom is awful right now but that isn't diabetes).
It has gotten easier not least because being 50 is easier than being 25 IMO! I have a closed loop system which when it works, is great. Hopefully all that will only get better.
It has made me cynical about the medical profession and simultaneously grateful for the NHS funding of my c sections, eye surgery and ongoing kit costs.
I am independent as much of diabetes involves solving your own problems. Sometimes I am working full time as a pancreas and at others it is all very much background noise. I doubt this will change and that's okay.

Reactions: himtoo and Kels*

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 80 Typ 2 since 1995 on low carb. 1500 mg of Metf.

Last edited:

Stu93

Was curious to see how long people have had diabetes for more so type 1 , am 26 and have had type once for 11 years . Does it get easier the older you get , any complications even with good control? Just curious to see peoples take on living with the condition !
I have just turned 65 years of age, and was diagnosed on 5th April 2021 - on admission to Hospital with a heart attack (a pain in between my shoulder blades and shortness of breath when trying to work physically). My HbA1c on admission was 63...its now 37 and im in remission, off the metformin and controlling my diabetes via diet and exercise alone...

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am 68 and have been a diabetic for 52 years nearly 53 years now, does it get easier yes with all the new pumps and cgm,s which help with highs and lows, I have other autoimmune problems including psoriasis arthritis which I took Humira injections which then caused lymphoma cancer but life is still good, I say never give up and seeing my grandchildren makes be very happy

Kels*

I am 68 and have been a diabetic for 52 years nearly 53 years now, does it get easier yes with all the new pumps and cgm,s which help with highs and lows, I have other autoimmune problems including psoriasis arthritis which I took Humira injections which then caused lymphoma cancer but life is still good, I say never give up and seeing my grandchildren makes be very happy

Hi Peter ! Hope you are well. Your response touched me slightly just want to say you seem like a very strong individual. I know how hard living with diabetes can be never mind being diagnosed with lymphoma cancer ! Your grandchildren must love you very much! Stay strong and all the best . Thank you again for your response :)

Reactions: Antje77

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi I am 72 years young I have prednisolone induced diabetes after taking preds for about 20 years since diagnosed with myasthenia gravis I first realised I was diabetic in about 2013 was diagnosed in 2015 after two years arguing with a doctor who refused to accept that I was in the diabetic range even.when my A1c was at 64 so I don't know exactly how long I have had diabetes though when diagnosed I had back ground retinopathy gone now also neuropathy and ckd and now recently have been able to add cataracts to the list.

I am diet controlled with a low dose of metformin and am mostly in remission with for the most part normal blood sugars.

LindaManville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi there! I'm 64 and was diagnosed in 2015
So 6 years now..Diabetes is heavily in my
Family tree so I thought I'd probably get it.
I'm type 2 and still learning new things all
The time. So far no complications

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 80years young. Been Type1 56years. With all the new technology now it is a lot easier to control and understand what is going wrong. Been on pump 6 years. My eyesight is very poor but that is my own fault. Poor control in the past.

Rudders1962

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, my name is Stuart and am 59 years old and have been Type 1 diabetic since January 1963 at 8 months old, sp 59 years in a couple of months time January 2022. All is good and yes it is easier now than in years past. Not too many problems at all.

Reactions: himtoo

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
First person shooter games such as COD.
Type 2 diabetes for about 3 years. Age 52. Was prone to non-diabetic hypos without my blood sugar levels actually going low from age 20. Blood sugar levels would go up to 10 and then drop rapidly. Still working on control. Covid has meant I haven't had the regular check ups and medication adjustments I should have had and my diabetes seems to be difficult to get under control- not helped by me juggling diabetes and fibre sensitive IBS at the same time.

Sarahlouxoxo

Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed on New Year’s Day this year after going into intensive care with a DK! Great way to start the new year! 34 years old and so far this sucks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Diagnosed with Type 1 at 13 1 week before my 14th Birthday, I'm 33 now. My control was rubbish for about 10 years when I turned 18 but no complications thankfully. My HbA1c has been low 40's for quite a few years now, it's definitely got easier with new technology coming out all the time.

Shaun_p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 diabetic, I was diagnosed when I was 14, I'm 34 in July so that will be 20 years this year. I use libre 2 which has helped identify a few problems, but not very easily solved. It revealed that I'm ultra sensitive in the morning and not sensitive at all in the evening so giving the 'right' insulin us very difficult.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 66 now, and was diagnosed in June 2008 (thus 13 and a half years). I have diabetes in my family (Mother, grand-mother, brother and several cousins). My diabetes control was really bad until about 4 years ago, when I virtually eliminated carbohydrates from my eating regime.