Medtronic 640G vs Tandem T-Slim X2

Ojjy89_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Ok so I’m new here so bare with me if I’m not quite getting the hang of this.

I’ve been on insulin pumps for 8 years now, 4 years on Roche Accu-chek combo pump and then 4 years on the accu-Chek insight.

I’ve been advised I’m due for a change of pump. I have been advised I’m allowed to keep my existing pump if I wish but tbh there are already a few things I don’t like about it so think a change is in order.

I’ve been advised my other options are the Medtronic 640G or the Tandem T-Slim X2.

I currently use the freestyle Libre 2 sensors for CGM.

Can anyone give me any info you have on either good or bad things about each of these pumps to help me make my decision?

TIA

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess you've already worked out that the Libre does not work with either of these pumps, so a move go another sensor might be needed. Tandem have been working on connecting the next Libre version to the T-Slim but knowing how these things work it may be a year away, usually gets released in USA first then 6 ish months later to others. I'm using the T-Slim X2 with Dexcom and its CIQ setting (after being on same previous pumps as you), I'm not sure there are any real downsides to it. It can be updated remotely so when mobile phone remote gets released or Libre support its easy. You can enter BG results into the T-Slim manually too.

Reactions: Ojjy89_

Ojjy89_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I guess you've already worked out that the Libre does not work with either of these pumps, so a move go another sensor might be needed. Tandem have been working on connecting the next Libre version to the T-Slim but knowing how these things work it may be a year away, usually gets released in USA first then 6 ish months later to others. I'm using the T-Slim X2 with Dexcom and its CIQ setting (after being on same previous pumps as you), I'm not sure there are any real downsides to it. It can be updated remotely so when mobile phone remote gets released or Libre support its easy. You can enter BG results into the T-Slim manually too.

Yes I had gathered that they use different sensor systems but I suppose I need to speak to my DSN to find out whether I can change over. Thank you that’s really helpful I had been leaning towards the T-slim.

bonerp

Hi how are you finding TSlim and Dexcom? I understand it provides more of a realistic artificial pancreas and auto doses/suspends depending on highs or lows. Is this really accurate? I'm about to change my current medtronic to this set up but will have to fund dexcom as not available on script.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi how are you finding TSlim and Dexcom? I understand it provides more of a realistic artificial pancreas and auto doses/suspends depending on highs or lows. Is this really accurate? I'm about to change my current medtronic to this set up but will have to fund dexcom as not available on script.

I'm not able to compare to other pumps that suspend etc, but I find it works really well. If you have been "sugar surfing" on pens or other pumps it is quite hard at first to try and not instantly correct like you might have before and let the pump do its thing. I have mine linked to my phone, watch and iMac (as well as iPad). The sugarmate app is not working at present but when it comes back to life (December maybe) then Apple Car Play works too (there are ways to get round sugarmate not working but just can't be bothered with the extra work).

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very happy with my t:Slim & Dexcom.
It takes a while to get it set up correctly, it's definitely not plug & play. It's not perfect but so much better than a standard pump.
Particularly grateful for it overnight. Never get bored of waking up with a sensible reading (5 - 7) to start the day

Reactions: NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am using T slim and Dexcom which has been fine and the control i

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry I meant to say that the T iq works well for me but my phone app for Dexcom has led to transmitter problems and therefore I am now now using it on their advice (phone is a pretty standard Galaxy Note Ultra -Android)!
I recently had to go back to the combo of t slim and freestyle libre because I was awaiting a transmitter for the dexcom which worked fine but did illustrate how much better I am with the adjustments that the pump makes to my bgs.
Other downsides?
Dexcom don't support at the weekend and sensors need to be replaced every 10 days so factor that into your budget.
THe pump iself is small and sleek compared to my previous Roche ones. It is easy to set up and pretty intuitive so have got used to filling the cartridge from a vial etc. and it is straightforward.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm very happy with my t:Slim & Dexcom.
It takes a while to get it set up correctly, it's definitely not plug & play. It's not perfect but so much better than a standard pump.
Particularly grateful for it overnight. Never get bored of waking up with a sensible reading (5 - 7) to start the day
Me too! Has stopped me having to eat jam/biscuits etc. in the wee small hours and I like my boring flat lines of past 3 hours worth of bgs!

Reactions: DunePlodder
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just bought at tslim and am liking it.

however I was reading after starting it.

Search for t:sport mini

I’d wait for this not sure when it will be in the Uk.

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been using the 640G for 3yrs. I was using the Guardian 3 sensor, but it was a battle that I gave up, when I lost hypo awareness. I’m using Libre 2 instead now. I have heard that the newer Medtronic 780 pump is way superior at auto-suspending.