Help for my hubby, any ideas guys?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry this might be a long post but please read if you can, I’m an expert in me and my own diabetes but not in anyone else’s, I know my forum friends can’t diagnose but there is a lot of very knowledgeable people on here, I wondered if anyone has any idea what might be going on for my hubby, Just to add he is seeing his GP on Friday for an unconnected reason but will mention the following to her.

He’s not diabetic and eats a low carb sometimes Keto diet but with the odd cake biscuit thrown in, last Hba1c was 38 on 19th Oct (had full bloods done for something else.) he takes no meds apart from Epilim for very well controlled epilepsy

Right. Last Monday, working from home in office all day, homemade soup for lunch, long 12 hr day with no breaks except to grab coffee, tea etc. this kind of day is completely normal for him and he’s done it for years. About 4pm came through shaking, white as a sheet feeling a bit sleepy - sat him down checked his pulse, perfectly fine - gave him a glass of orange juice and a biscuit. Checked his blood with my machine 3.3 - after 10 minutes absolutely fine just a bit tired.

Today, had Sunday lunch from local cafe - has it every Sunday, went out in garden to cut grass and pick up leaves. Didn’t see him but he’s just told me he had the same thing again about 2 hrs after his meal, had a cup of tea and a biscuit- now feels fine he says. I didn’t check his blood at the time as he didn’t tell me until afterwards but just checked it now about 30 minutes after the event 4.1 - could this be reactive hypoglycaemia or the beginning of T2 or any other ideas or is this something that can be completely normal in non diabetics

sorry it’s so long and thank you for reading if you got this far - just want some ideas as I’ve a feeling GP will just dismiss it as something and nothing

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry this might be a long post but please read if you can, I’m an expert in me and my own diabetes but not in anyone else’s, I know my forum friends can’t diagnose but there is a lot of very knowledgeable people on here, I wondered if anyone has any idea what might be going on for my hubby, Just to add he is seeing his GP on Friday for an unconnected reason but will mention the following to her.

He’s not diabetic and eats a low carb sometimes Keto diet but with the odd cake biscuit thrown in, last Hba1c was 38 on 19th Oct (had full bloods done for something else.) he takes no meds apart from Epilim for very well controlled epilepsy

Right. Last Monday, working from home in office all day, homemade soup for lunch, long 12 hr day with no breaks except to grab coffee, tea etc. this kind of day is completely normal for him and he’s done it for years. About 4pm came through shaking, white as a sheet feeling a bit sleepy - sat him down checked his pulse, perfectly fine - gave him a glass of orange juice and a biscuit. Checked his blood with my machine 3.3 - after 10 minutes absolutely fine just a bit tired.

Today, had Sunday lunch from local cafe - has it every Sunday, went out in garden to cut grass and pick up leaves. Didn’t see him but he’s just told me he had the same thing again about 2 hrs after his meal, had a cup of tea and a biscuit- now feels fine he says. I didn’t check his blood at the time as he didn’t tell me until afterwards but just checked it now about 30 minutes after the event 4.1 - could this be reactive hypoglycaemia or the beginning of T2 or any other ideas or is this something that can be completely normal in non diabetics

sorry it’s so long and thank you for reading if you got this far - just want some ideas as I’ve a feeling GP will just dismiss it as something and nothing
Might be time to as for an extended oral glucose tolerance test to rule RH in or out. You do have the numbers on a meter to back up a request to the GP, that might help...

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @JoKalsbeek - RH did cross my mind but I don’t know much about it all - I’ll mention it to him thanks :)