Hello all

Doug The Head

Hello all,

I'm Paul and I've been recently diagnosed as being pre-diabetic which has come as a shock but on the other hand no surprise as I've not been looking after myself. Working long hours driving long distances not taking care of myself eating fatty sugary foods and not exercising as I should.

I thought I'd join here and see if I can share experiences and maybe get some tips or advice on how to manage my pre diabetes.

Currently my blood level is 47mmol and therefore a gnats whisker from developing type 2 so I'm doing everything I can to stop that happening. I was wondering if anyone out there was the same and if so what are you doing to prevent this. I was also thinking of measuring my blood sugars once a week just to see if if its getting any worse. Would that be a silly idea?

Anyway feel free to contact me for a chat or any advice!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd recommend testing far more than once a week so you can sort out what you ought to eat to keep your blood glucose in normal numbers.
Testing before starting to eat and then two hours later should show you what amount of carbs to aim for, and also any anomalies - I can't eat porridge without seeing a spike, but for others it is fine. I can also get more carbs out of peas and beans than the listed value - about 180 percent is my best guess, so I have a half portion when I do eat them.
It is the sugar and starches which are the carbohydrates - fat is fine if it from natural sources.

Reactions: EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum!
I was also thinking of measuring my blood sugars once a week just to see if if its getting any worse. Would that be a silly idea?
What about testing it before and about two hours after eating, not to see if it gets any worse but to use the information to adjust your foods where you see your body can't really handle that particular meal?

I think you might like to have a read of this: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/, and if you want more there's this, which is taylored to full blown diabetics, so if you choose to use the meter you might find you have more wiggling room carb wise :) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Tannith

BANNED
Hello all,

I'm Paul and I've been recently diagnosed as being pre-diabetic which has come as a shock but on the other hand no surprise as I've not been looking after myself. Working long hours driving long distances not taking care of myself eating fatty sugary foods and not exercising as I should.

I thought I'd join here and see if I can share experiences and maybe get some tips or advice on how to manage my pre diabetes.

Currently my blood level is 47mmol and therefore a gnats whisker from developing type 2 so I'm doing everything I can to stop that happening. I was wondering if anyone out there was the same and if so what are you doing to prevent this. I was also thinking of measuring my blood sugars once a week just to see if if its getting any worse. Would that be a silly idea?

Anyway feel free to contact me for a chat or any advice!
Your guide to reversing prediabetes with diet and treatments
https://www.singlecare.com/blog/reversing-prediabetes/

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: EllieM

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Good article however paras 2 and 3 need to be read and acted on with caution as oats, rice and whole grains are high carb so can increase sugar levels and many of us have proved that a high fat diet doesn’t necessarily increase your sugar levels.
I agree with the caution element. Worth a shot though. I find oats to be good for me despite being a high carb food. Not the quick oats but the traditional rolled type. Rice is a killer though.