Newly Diagnosed getting over the shock

Blade72

I was diagnosed last week after a urine test with type 2, totally shocked even though I'm 3 Stone over weight with a BMI 35.

I'm still taking it all in I had a blood test yesterday and get the results on 23 so unsure of the extent of my illness. My finger prick test read 15 however i had probably the first time in a year had a energy drink day before, I wasn't expecting 24 hours later to be having the test.

I've always loved my carbs chips, pies , potatoes but never sweet stuff.

I've had the first few days finding myself getting upset walking round a supermarket thinking I can't eat that again.

I feel better last few days I've downloaded my fitness Pal and carbs counting.

My wife's been amazing so supportive , shes turned the kitchen into a food lab, she made me keto bread roll with 6g carb , keto toad in the whole with chicken sausage using arrow route flour, cauliflower mash etc, all low carb .

I'm still having a couple of glasses of wine on a night at the weekend.

Exercise wise I'm walking more.

I'm determined to stick to low carbs but hope I can have treats but my aim is to lose weight , a lot will come down to my blood results.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That wife is a definite keeper!

Together you'll crack this new way of eating, and find enjoyable things to eat and drink.

Reactions: R2D2TAY

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes she's brilliant, I had a bacon sandwich this morning on her low carb 6g roll I felt incredibly guilty but it's a treat untill I get my full results, people seem a real good bunch here and supportive.

Thankyou

No need for guilt over bacon, fill your boots! :)

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I found the health benefits of losing weight and eating a healthy diet soon out way the short term fix of stuffing my face , I feel better now than I have ever been and wish I had started earlier .

Reactions: EllieM and Outlier

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a gem your wife is. You will get plenty of support here, and the best way you can support both yourself and your wife's efforts to help is to stick with the low-carb eating regime and continue your good results.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on taking the new way of eating head on, and with brilliant support from your wife!

Reactions: EllieM

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on taking steps to tackle it head on, and can't stress how much it helps to have someone supportive at home.

Whatever the numbers you get on the 23rd, you've made a great start and things can only get better from here!

Reactions: EllieM

Blade72

Hi, Wine is Ok for us and so are spirits. Go for 85% Dark Chocolate if you want choccy
Thankyou I'm weighing my chocolate I had 35g of 90% Dark , cauliflower mash is ok I can't tell the difference between that and normal, my 6g of Carb bread rolls are ok to. The wife made a keto garlic naan on Saturday with coconut flour and cauliflower Pilau rice , it was ok nothing to get excited about though

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Thankyou I'm weighing my chocolate I had 35g of 90% Dark , cauliflower mash is ok I can't tell the difference between that and normal, my 6g of Carb bread rolls are ok to. The wife made a keto garlic naan on Saturday with coconut flour and cauliflower Pilau rice , it was ok nothing to get excited about though

Got to disagree with you on this @Blade72 if my wife made a garlic keto naan with cauliflower pilau rice that tasted Ok,
I would be very, very excited

Blade72

Got to disagree with you on this @Blade72 if my wife made a garlic keto naan with cauliflower pilau rice that tasted Ok,
I would be very, very excited
Ha I know what you mean , she made me an amazing chicken burger tonight, using heck chicken mince , and with a crispy coating from using pork scratchings blitzed as the bread crumbs, topped of with crispy bacon , lettuce in one of her 3g of carbs bread buns

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds excellent - buy that woman a bunch of flowers!

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish my wife was that supportive, you're very lucky.
i'm convinced mine is trying to do me in, she keeps bringing home things like Mince pies ( i'm the only one in the house that would touch them, and struggle to resist), sausage rolls, M & S cheese tasters basically wotsits. Anything i should not eat.
I have to cook my own meals. She seems to think i'm eating weirdly so it's up to me to sort it.

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
I find low carbing really hard so your doing really well. I dont have a sweet tooth but I crave carbs like bread and pastry and crisps . Ive looked on line for keto snacks but they are so expensive that I haven’t bought any. Ive given all my pasta away apart from rice so I’m not tempted but have reduced the amount of rice I eat by 50%.
All I need now is low carb fish and chips :)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.
Your wife sounds amazing and that will definitely help.

I am a carb addict and couldn't even go into a supermarket for a long while after diagnosis. I'm fine now- actually better than fine due to the advice, help and support I received here. My husband is also amazing and that has been very helpful.

If you don't already have a meter I highly recommend that you get one.

I can tell you life will get better- I promise.

Welcome and good luck on the journey.

Russell G

I was diagnosed last week after a urine test with type 2, totally shocked even though I'm 3 Stone over weight with a BMI 35.

I'm still taking it all in I had a blood test yesterday and get the results on 23 so unsure of the extent of my illness. My finger prick test read 15 however i had probably the first time in a year had a energy drink day before, I wasn't expecting 24 hours later to be having the test.

I've always loved my carbs chips, pies , potatoes but never sweet stuff.

I've had the first few days finding myself getting upset walking round a supermarket thinking I can't eat that again.

I feel better last few days I've downloaded my fitness Pal and carbs counting.

My wife's been amazing so supportive , shes turned the kitchen into a food lab, she made me keto bread roll with 6g carb , keto toad in the whole with chicken sausage using arrow route flour, cauliflower mash etc, all low carb .

I'm still having a couple of glasses of wine on a night at the weekend.

Exercise wise I'm walking more.

I'm determined to stick to low carbs but hope I can have treats but my aim is to lose weight , a lot will come down to my blood results.
Hello, me to just been diagnosed on Friday 16th. Trying to get to grips with it all. More worried about ketone as that was I yesterday I had two ketone warning and one this morning. My count was 25.9 on Friday but now at 14 -16 Saturday. But been losing weight since the new year.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello @Russell G welcome to the forum
What type of diabetes have you been diagnosed with, what medication did they prescribe and have you been trying to lose weight or was it a surprise ?
Sorry for all the questions but we're a nosey bunch

Russell G

Hello @Russell G welcome to the forum
What type of diabetes have you been diagnosed with, what medication did they prescribe and have you been trying to lose weight or was it a surprise ?
Sorry for all the questions but we're a nosey bunch
Was a huge surprise, and type 2 ( until blood test comes back) been put on gliclazade to start with. Yes I have been losing weight since the new year. And it was always my plan in the new year, didn’t feel unwell at all but dry mouth change in going to the toilet that made me go and get checked. I am being extremely cautious now. Even after one day.

Last edited: