Is Dexcom a viable alternative to Libre?

Derrick B

Hello, I am new to this forum and would be grateful for comments about Dexcom. My wife sent me a link to their advert. It seems to be a possible alternative to Freestyle Libre, which I have been using for years. However, if I read the adverts correct it seems to be more expensive. I am a self-funded Type 1.5 as I do not meet the criteria for NHS funding. Therefore, cost is important to me. The Libre costs £100/month for the sensors. The Dexcom ad has a subscription option at £159/month for the sensors. The ad also claims to be the only such system! Anyway, may I ask any Dexcom users if they had used Libre and whether they thought it was better?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many people find Dexcom better than Libre - there is no need to scan it and it is considered more accurate. It is also included in Closed loop solutions with various pumps

Dexcom had a free trial earlier this year so I tried it. Their app is supported on far fewer phones than LibreLink and is very basic (you need a different app to view any historic trends, for ecample). For me, Libre calibrated daily with xDrip was more accurate than Dexcom.
(I use xDrip with Libre 2 so that I do not need to scan.) And neither Libre nor Dexcom are compatible with my pump. I also found it more bulky with more non recyclable plastic in the appkicator. So I decided to save my money and stick with Libre.

I guess the question is why are you looking for an alternative. What are you unhappy about wrt Libre?

Derrick B

Many people find Dexcom better than Libre - there is no need to scan it and it is considered more accurate. It is also included in Closed loop solutions with various pumps

Dexcom had a free trial earlier this year so I tried it. Their app is supported on far fewer phones than LibreLink and is very basic (you need a different app to view any historic trends, for ecample). For me, Libre calibrated daily with xDrip was more accurate than Dexcom.
(I use xDrip with Libre 2 so that I do not need to scan.) And neither Libre nor Dexcom are compatible with my pump. I also found it more bulky with more non recyclable plastic in the appkicator. So I decided to save my money and stick with Libre.

I guess the question is why are you looking for an alternative. What are you unhappy about wrt Libre?
Thanks for that. I am not particularly unhappy with Libre. I have to say that their support is good. On the occasions I have had a faulty sensor they have replaced it without a quibble. Given what you have said, I probably will not swap.

Reactions: In Response

iallaway

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi I have been trying the libre 2 and dexcom G6 for the last couple of weeks and not sure which one is the best. When the alar goes off on libre 2 it says 5.0 but the G6 is 7.0. When I have tested my BS the reading on my meter is about 0.2-0.5 higher than the libre 2. I do like the idea of the G6 no scanning. Should I callibrate the G6. Many thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have been trying the libre 2 and dexcom G6 for the last couple of weeks and not sure which one is the best. When the alar goes off on libre 2 it says 5.0 but the G6 is 7.0. When I have tested my BS the reading on my meter is about 0.2-0.5 higher than the libre 2. I do like the idea of the G6 no scanning. Should I callibrate the G6. Many thanks
I only used the Dexcom for the 20 days of the trial. I chose to calibrate because it gives me more confidence with the readings.
I use an unofficial method with the Libre 2 called xDrip which means I don’t have to scan and I can calibrate it.

DariuszKa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I am new to this forum and would be grateful for comments about Dexcom. My wife sent me a link to their advert. It seems to be a possible alternative to Freestyle Libre, which I have been using for years. However, if I read the adverts correct it seems to be more expensive. I am a self-funded Type 1.5 as I do not meet the criteria for NHS funding. Therefore, cost is important to me. The Libre costs £100/month for the sensors. The Dexcom ad has a subscription option at £159/month for the sensors. The ad also claims to be the only such system! Anyway, may I ask any Dexcom users if they had used Libre and whether they thought it was better?
I a experienced Libre user (more than 4years) I can't recommend this system because quality control of sensors seems to be absolutely hopeless. Typically 1 out of 3 is defective. Differences between Libre readings and glukometr are huge. In many cases this is 50mg/dl or more typically lower than after blood checking. In case of Libra 1 those huge differences between Libra and real blood sugar levels were possible to override by using third party software such as Glimp. In case of Libra 2 this is not possible because and most of alternatives are not compatible with this version. Because Libre Link (Abot brand app) don't have kalibration option in many cases this system can't be evaluated as a reliable CGM. This is a reason why I started to be interested in alternatives to Libra such as Dexcom. I hope that quality of this system is better than garbage that is Libra.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In case of Libra 1 those huge differences between Libra and real blood sugar levels were possible to override by using third party software such as Glimp. In case of Libra 2 this is not possible because and most of alternatives are not compatible with this version.
I happily used xDrip+ with Libre 2 which enabled me to do the calibration.
I had used xDrip+ with MiaoMiao and LIbre 1 and was happy to get rid of the MiaMiao. Previously, I used Glimp but preferred xDrip+ so never tried it with Libre 2.
There are now other options such as Diabox and Shuggah.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use another alternative to both the Libre and Dexcom. I am also self funded, and they are far cheaper than both of them when bought on subscription. Best to buy the starter kit to check for suitability and to get the transmitter which lasts for about 4 years.

Added advantage is the VAT can be removed from the prices at checkout.