1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is Dexcom a viable alternative to Libre?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Derrick B, Dec 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Derrick B

Derrick B · Newbie

Hello, I am new to this forum and would be grateful for comments about Dexcom. My wife sent me a link to their advert. It seems to be a possible alternative to Freestyle Libre, which I have been using for years. However, if I read the adverts correct it seems to be more expensive. I am a self-funded Type 1.5 as I do not meet the criteria for NHS funding. Therefore, cost is important to me. The Libre costs £100/month for the sensors. The Dexcom ad has a subscription option at £159/month for the sensors. The ad also claims to be the only such system! Anyway, may I ask any Dexcom users if they had used Libre and whether they thought it was better?

2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Many people find Dexcom better than Libre - there is no need to scan it and it is considered more accurate. It is also included in Closed loop solutions with various pumps

Dexcom had a free trial earlier this year so I tried it. Their app is supported on far fewer phones than LibreLink and is very basic (you need a different app to view any historic trends, for ecample). For me, Libre calibrated daily with xDrip was more accurate than Dexcom.
    (I use xDrip with Libre 2 so that I do not need to scan.) And neither Libre nor Dexcom are compatible with my pump. I also found it more bulky with more non recyclable plastic in the appkicator. So I decided to save my money and stick with Libre.

I guess the question is why are you looking for an alternative. What are you unhappy about wrt Libre?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Derrick B

Derrick B · Newbie

Thanks for that. I am not particularly unhappy with Libre. I have to say that their support is good. On the occasions I have had a faulty sensor they have replaced it without a quibble. Given what you have said, I probably will not swap.

• Like Like x 1
  4. iallaway

iallaway Reactive hypoglycemia · Member

Hi I have been trying the libre 2 and dexcom G6 for the last couple of weeks and not sure which one is the best. When the alar goes off on libre 2 it says 5.0 but the G6 is 7.0. When I have tested my BS the reading on my meter is about 0.2-0.5 higher than the libre 2. I do like the idea of the G6 no scanning. Should I callibrate the G6. Many thanks

5. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I only used the Dexcom for the 20 days of the trial. I chose to calibrate because it gives me more confidence with the readings.
    I use an unofficial method with the Libre 2 called xDrip which means I don’t have to scan and I can calibrate it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook