Dvla Section 88 (UK)

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya
Just to make this short and simple the DVLA are very slow at the moment processing my 3 year restricted licence. My license has run out and so I am now running or was running on section 88. My doctor said he is unsure that I am fit to drive on the basis I have night time hypos even though on the government website that isn't applicable to driving license. So now I'm stuck waiting and not driving what else can I do. Should I ask for another doctor as clearly this is very unfair. I have never in my ten years had a severe hypo I must add and have full hypo awareness. Thank you.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is that your local doctor, or a hospital consultant?
If its just your local doctor and are happy with everything else then ask for a referral to a hospital consultant, as a Type1 you are entitled to it, if you're not happy with your doctors for other stuff as well probably worth seeing if you can find another doctor.
It may just be he doesn't know so is erring on the side of caution (to your disadvantage)

A consultant should know the actual rules and mine certainly didn't have an issue for driving when I was still having night-time hypos with no awareness for those (quite a lot - they didn't wake me up) - as long as I had awareness when awake they were fine

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Night time hypos should have nothing to do with it , about 35 years ago I was refused my 3 year licence because I had told my doctor that I had a couple of night time hypos and was told to re-apply in 12 months , I disputed this and after 6 months I was given a new 3 year licence and have not had a problem since , I think your Dr should read the rules as it does actually say nocturnal hypos are not a reason to not issue a licence as I think you should not actually be driving whilst asleep :) .

Reactions: JCBBFC27

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that your local doctor, or a hospital consultant?
If its just your local doctor and are happy with everything else then ask for a referral to a hospital consultant, as a Type1 you are entitled to it, if you're not happy with your doctors for other stuff as well probably worth seeing if you can find another doctor.
It may just be he doesn't know so is erring on the side of caution (to your disadvantage)

A consultant should know the actual rules and mine certainly didn't have an issue for driving when I was still having night-time hypos with no awareness for those (quite a lot - they didn't wake me up) - as long as I had awareness when awake they were fine
It's my actual Diabetes consultant which is confusing. The official government website sais itself night time hypos are irrelevant https://www.gov.uk/guidance/diabetes-mellitus-assessing-fitness-to-drive#insulin-treated-diabetes. Very worrying situation to be in as I need to drive for work. And as @jaywak has said you don't drive when you're asleep . Well I hope no one tries that.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's my actual Diabetes consultant which is confusing. The official government website sais itself night time hypos are irrelevant https://www.gov.uk/guidance/diabetes-mellitus-assessing-fitness-to-drive#insulin-treated-diabetes. Very worrying situation to be in as I need to drive for work. And as @jaywak has said you don't drive when you're asleep . Well I hope no one tries that.
If its your consultant ask for a different one, one that actually knows the rules otherwise you may find yourself without a license until your night time hypos stop

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
You have my sympathy I went thru something similar 2 years ago as I’m on a restricted 3 yr licence but not in respect of diabetes . Mine was originally on MH grounds but that was 15 years ago and they still won’t give me my full licence back as I now have ataxia. A couple of years ago the DVLA made up all sorts of excuses not renew it. They said I had epilepsy, blackouts dizziness. The epilepsy and blackouts ive never had but but dizziness on standing yes. They accepted that i didnt have the first two but that dizziness would be a problem but as I said I’m not in the habit of standing up when driving it was not a problem. I too had to get a section 88 from the doctor but it took 7 months before they finally renewed it for another 3 years.
Don’t give in , if you don’t drive at night it shouldn’t be a problem but keep on at your consultant.
Ive just gone on insulin and didn’t realise I had to inform the DVLA my dn has not said any thing about this. Fortunatly 8 don’t suffer hypos but am the opposite with a high BG . I looked up on the DVLA website and it states hypos are only a problem if you need someone to help you

https://assets.publishing.service.g...e-to-insulin-treated-diabetes-and-driving.pdf

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your messages. Slight update. The DVLA which to be fair after the long wait were rather helpful said as he's clearly not following the guidelines which are set by themselves and the government I should request a new Diabetes Doctor. I have a call with again with the doctor tomorrow so I will keep you all updated with that. Hopefully all goes well.

Reactions: Rokaab

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Next update. For now the doctor sais he will agree a section 88 as long as I don't drive at night for now. Getting somewhere but it still isn't in line with the guidelines. Going to contact the DVLA tomorrow and see what they say about it.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Next update. For now the doctor sais he will agree a section 88 as long as I don't drive at night for now. Getting somewhere but it still isn't in line with the guidelines. Going to contact the DVLA tomorrow and see what they say about it.

Again he is silly there as you only have hypos at night because you are asleep... so he should say don't drive while sleeping...!

I would say you Dr is a fool and doesn't understand the rules.... when you are awake and driving you have a requirement to test your bg and only drive if safe todo so... so your GP is putting unnecessary restrictions on you... either get better clarification from DVLA or find another GP with an understanding or the rules and an understanding that nocturnal hypos only happen whilst asleep, and unless you drive a tesla you need to be awake to drive

Reactions: EllieM

Danmiluk

Your doctor is wrong on this. What ypu must dp is to test by evey 2hrs when driving and must be above 5 and only have to give up your licience if you require help from someone to recover from a hypo. If you do have a hypo you must get above 5 and wait 45mins and check again but you can't be in the driver seat or have the keys in the ignition or the cops can do you for being unfit to drive and being on charge of a motor vehicle.

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your doctor is wrong on this. What ypu must dp is to test by evey 2hrs when driving and must be above 5............If you do have a hypo you must get above 5 and wait 45mins and check again but you can't be in the driver seat or have the keys in the ignition or the cops can do you for being unfit to drive and being on charge of a motor vehicle.
Unfortunately some of the above is incorrect.
Yes you must test every 2 hours but if the reading is 5 or less you are advised to just eat a snack.
If the reading is less than 4 then you should not drive till 45 minutes after your next test of 5 or above.
If at any time (whatever the reading) that you feel hypoglycaemic then you should not drive till 45 minutes after your next test of 5 or above and you feel well.
.....have to give up your licence if you require help from someone to recover from a hypo.
You have to inform DVLA if you have an episode of Sever Hypo whilst driving. It is more than 1 episode of a Severe Hypo in the last 12 months if they are not whilst driving.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...e-to-insulin-treated-diabetes-and-driving.pdf

:)