Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
where does the liver get glucose
when you are completely fasting?
why would the blood sugar still be too high?
im doing adf and its still what i think
is too high?
6.5 (117) bedtime
after 24 hours plus fasting
its more than 24 hours due to coming off omad
and the timing being more just this first
complete fasting day
will it go lower?

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
r?

Think of the liver as a really eager, helpful, chemicals factory making and removing things as it thinks best. When I was training (not a medic but medicine adjacent) the number quoted in our lecture was '300 separate chemical processes', but that was 30 years ago so I'd guess a lot more have been found since then.

The specific answer to 'where does the liver get glucose?' seems to be:
"During short-term fasting periods, the liver produces and releases glucose mainly through glycogenolysis. During prolonged fasting, glycogen is depleted, and hepatocytes synthesize glucose through gluconeogenesis using lactate, pyruvate, glycerol, and amino acids"

From this paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4050641/
Section 1.2 Gluconeogenesis

I'm finding all of this biochemistry stuff fascinating, as well as really frustrating in my own, personal, science project (aka my body)

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you cut of the glucose tap by not consuming carbs the liver uses your fat stores to create glucose/energy for the muscles.
This is also called weight loss.

A finely tuned non-diabetic body would release small amounts of insulin to deal with the additional glucose being created by this process.
You need to keep on your path & your body will recover it's insulin sensitivity but it's a long process, it will most likely take months.
My morning readings were all in the low 6s post remission, then after 4 to 5 months they dropped a whole mmol/L just overnight, like a switch was clicked.
This was repeated a few months later where I landed in the low 4s where I have stayed ever since.
Watch out for the faux hypos on the way down.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
why would the blood sugar still be too high?
im doing adf and its still what i think
is too high?
6.5 (117) bedtime
after 24 hours plus fasting
its more than 24 hours due to coming off omad
and the timing being more just this first
complete fasting day
will it go lower?
The liver turns your stored fat from muscles , the liver itself or wherever it is stored, into glucose. If it couldn't your brain would be in trouble by which I mean this a natural process that has gone awry in type 1s and type 2s because of insulin issues in both cases.
As type 2 you will have fat in your liver which will be used up when you are not eating carbs frequently. The liver fat causes insulin resistance which stops glucose entering your cells as easily as it should, but as your liver deflates that resistance will lessen and your glucose levels should improve.
How long it takes may depend on how long you've been diabetic and how much resistance you have.
It isn't an overnight cure but it seems most people get results from IF or simply cutting carbs. As well as blood glucose levels why not take a waist measurement to see if that liver fat is coming off and/or blood pressure readings. The other measure is qualificative - how do you feel? are you hungry? how are the cravings?

Reactions: cdpm

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
So why do type 2 have to still test blood sugars once in remission or reversed? And if you get a spike does it matter if your hbc1a is back in normal range

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So why do type 2 have to still test blood sugars once in remission or reversed? And if you get a spike does it matter if your hbc1a is back in normal range

I test a couple of times a day to keep my eye on things plus I like collecting data for my own personal experiment.

FBG and usually post dinner sometimes mid afternoon too.

Spikes are usually indicative of eating something that wasn't all that great for me so Id rather know than not.

Reactions: cdpm and Jayne1983

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
When I was diagnosed it took me completely by surprise, I had no symptoms, or I should say I had no symptoms that I associated with T2. Thanks to this forum and a keto diet my levels have been in the non diabetic range for almost 7 years. Do I still test ? Of course I do, I won't let it sneak up on me again.

Reactions: cdpm and Pasha

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
When I was diagnosed it took me completely by surprise, I had no symptoms, or I should say I had no symptoms that I associated with T2. Thanks to this forum and a keto diet my levels have been in the non diabetic range for almost 7 years. Do I still test ? Of course I do, I won't let it sneak up on me again.
What I wanted to know if u have a spike does it do damage while your in remission. Do u test every morning and how often after 2 hours do u test does diabetes only come back with weight gain I’ve lost 3 and a half stone I’m trying to get my last 7to 9 lbs off I won’t let my diabetes come back it scared the **** out of me I had gestational diabetes with all 4 kids I had had symptoms so I thought it was like gestational diabetes so I asked for a hbc1a in March and it was 54 now 35 I think my next one is March

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
What I wanted to know if u have a spike does it do damage while your in remission. Do u test every morning and how often after 2 hours do u test
That's a difficult question, one that I think even dr's would like to know the answer to. I have seen 7.8 mmo/l mentioned as being the level above which damage occurs. I would think though that a spike above that wouldn't cause much of a problem as long as it was short lived and a very infrequent event.
Soon after I started testing I realised that my fasting reading was the highest of the day and no matter what I did my liver was going to do what it has evolved to do. If I couldn't influence the levels I could see no point in stabbing my fingers to see what they were. All of my testing was based around my meals and still is although I don't do as many tests now, usually I test my evening meal which is quite often the only meal I have.
You asked " does diabetes only come back with weight gain "
well does diabetes ever really go away ? I'm pretty sure I would have heard if they had found a cure. Does weight gain cause T2 or does T2 cause weight gain ? A friend I have known for over 50 years has been morbidly obese for most of his adult life. He suffers from heart disease and non alcoholic fatty liver disease but not diabetes. And then we've got the 10% of T2's who are not overweight. So it's not just about weight, genetics maybe ? Who knows, there are as many theories about what causes T2 as there are different ideas on how to manage it .
You have obviously found a way that works for you with your excellent HbA1c and weight loss. Seems to me that you are doing everything you can to have a healthy and long life, just keep on keeping on

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When you cut of the glucose tap by not consuming carbs the liver uses your fat stores to create glucose/energy for the muscles.
This is also called weight loss.

A finely tuned non-diabetic body would release small amounts of insulin to deal with the additional glucose being created by this process.
You need to keep on your path & your body will recover it's insulin sensitivity but it's a long process, it will most likely take months.
My morning readings were all in the low 6s post remission, then after 4 to 5 months they dropped a whole mmol/L just overnight, like a switch was clicked.
This was repeated a few months later where I landed in the low 4s where I have stayed ever since.
Watch out for the faux hypos on the way down.

what are faux hypos?
does it show on your metre or
just in feelings?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The liver turns your stored fat from muscles , the liver itself or wherever it is stored, into glucose. If it couldn't your brain would be in trouble by which I mean this a natural process that has gone awry in type 1s and type 2s because of insulin issues in both cases.
As type 2 you will have fat in your liver which will be used up when you are not eating carbs frequently. The liver fat causes insulin resistance which stops glucose entering your cells as easily as it should, but as your liver deflates that resistance will lessen and your glucose levels should improve.
How long it takes may depend on how long you've been diabetic and how much resistance you have.
It isn't an overnight cure but it seems most people get results from IF or simply cutting carbs. As well as blood glucose levels why not take a waist measurement to see if that liver fat is coming off and/or blood pressure readings. The other measure is qualificative - how do you feel? are you hungry? how are the cravings?

so far not much hunger
im very surprised with that
i expected alot more
i dont seem to be craving things either

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

im not really sure
except that i have drs asking me for the numbers

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
still doing this adf
i do a true adf tho
not the modified one
(modified being the 500 calorie thing)

havent tested yet
kind of afraid to
because if it hasnt come down
im afraid of being discouraged
maybe in a few days i will do a test

im not restricting carbs as much as i used to
as i need fibre and 1 can of beans helps alot
but i focus on things like eggs and the forms
of protein that im able to tolerate
no fruits or grains
veggies as i can afford
i have teeth issues to work in there too

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as i need fibre and 1 can of beans helps alot
I find seeds help me. I have 2-3 tablespoons a day of either flax/linseed or chia seed (milled/groundfor prefernce). Much lower carbs than beans

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I find seeds help me. I have 2-3 tablespoons a day of either flax/linseed or chia seed (milled/groundfor prefernce). Much lower carbs than beans

thanks
i will certainly look into this

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
still plugging away
an issue came up

i was eating omad then decided to try adf
but using my insulin on eating days
its 2 injections a day requiring a meal
with each

so now on my 4th day
my 2nd eating day

the issue?
my tummy
its full so bloated
feels awful

is this due to eating more than
i was before i began?
im eating twice now
as i take my 2 injections
6 to 8 hours apart (as instructed)
plus
i felt that doing omad and adf
might be 2 stressful

i dont want my tummy to stop me
does anyone else have this or a similar
issue?

Cass21

still plugging away
an issue came up

i was eating omad then decided to try adf
but using my insulin on eating days
its 2 injections a day requiring a meal
with each

so now on my 4th day
my 2nd eating day

the issue?
my tummy
its full so bloated
feels awful

is this due to eating more than
i was before i began?
im eating twice now
as i take my 2 injections
6 to 8 hours apart (as instructed)
plus
i felt that doing omad and adf
might be 2 stressful

i dont want my tummy to stop me
does anyone else have this or a similar
issue?
I think the bloating might be that you break your fast with too much food and/or too many carbs. Try one portion of lean protein and yhen a few hours later eat your main meal. I find having a green smoothie stops the bloat and other unpleasantness

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I kept on readng and see I had found out what it meant a month or so ago - 'alternate day fasting'. Maybe this time I will remember.

If I help other readers by unzipping unusual/rare acronyms, I am pleased for the service. :)

LouisLane

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Think of the liver as a really eager, helpful, chemicals factory making and removing things as it thinks best. When I was training (not a medic but medicine adjacent) the number quoted in our lecture was '300 separate chemical processes', but that was 30 years ago so I'd guess a lot more have been found since then.

The specific answer to 'where does the liver get glucose?' seems to be:
"During short-term fasting periods, the liver produces and releases glucose mainly through glycogenolysis. During prolonged fasting, glycogen is depleted, and hepatocytes synthesize glucose through gluconeogenesis using lactate, pyruvate, glycerol, and amino acids"

From this paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4050641/
Section 1.2 Gluconeogenesis

I'm finding all of this biochemistry stuff fascinating, as well as really frustrating in my own, personal, science project (aka my body)
That explains it then