Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What aspect of diabetes?

I’ve tried it to help with sleep (didn’t work), but I’ve never seen any evidence that it reduces blood sugars, either directly or indirectly.

The best natural remedy for your mother would be to eat a low carbohydrate diet comprised of real foods - meat, eggs, fish, some dairy and green veg.

If she’s currently on blood glucose lowering medication she should proceed with caution to avoid the risk of hypos. Metformin alone would be fine for following the above advice.

Edited to correct typos.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone tried CBD oil for diabetes type 2? I am trying to find a natural remedy for my mum. Thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

There are some bold claims with regards to BG stabilisation for diabetics.
But positive testimonies regarding users to just treat pain..

As a T1 who has "experimented" in the past regarding the former claim on BG.
I concluded that nothing beats old fashioned focus on my insulin dosage & diet.

Reactions: EllieM and jjraak
M

Member496333

Where local laws allow, CBD & THC most certainly have some therapeutical benefits when combined in moderation. Particularly mood, sleep and pain relief. Personally I'm not convinced that CBD in isolation does much beyond placebo. I highly doubt it will put a marked dent in diabetes of any type. Arguably it may lower stress levels resulting in lower glucose secretion from the liver, but I think it's unlikely. The 'good stuff' is also very expensive and you don't really know for sure what you're putting into your body. I'm not a fan but I'm willing to accept that it may benefit some people in other ways.

Hotpepper20000

I use CBD regularly. The good stuff is very expensive and you need much more then you think. (In my experience). It is legal here in Canada and very tightly controlled and regulated.
It does nothing to lower my BG.
I have a couple of bulging disks and I use it it help me relax at night time.
I can’t use it during the day because it does make me very tired.
I really don’t see how it could be used for lowing BG. Low carb/ Keto is much more effective.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use CBD regularly. The good stuff is very expensive and you need much more then you think. (In my experience). It is legal here in Canada and very tightly controlled and regulated.
It does nothing to lower my BG.
I have a couple of bulging disks and I use it it help me relax at night time.
I can’t use it during the day because it does make me very tired.
I really don’t see how it could be used for lowing BG. Low carb/ Keto is much more effective.
Pain and stress can increase blood sugar levels so perhaps reduction in pain, by any means, might have an effect?

I don’t know if any scientific studies have been carried out but I keep an open mind.

I, though, am always wary about any supplement or medication. All can have unintended consequences but also can be life changing but as I said, I’m more evidence based

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
CBD is a hyped molecule that has little medicinal effect on its own.

If it’s legal you could better look at cannabis oil that is high in myrcene.
That will make you sleep like a baby and helps against pain, which will indirectly lower BG.

The very best would be if you metabolically engineer cannabis yourself, which is much easier than it sounds,
one day this will be taught in kindergarten.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pain and stress can increase blood sugar levels so perhaps reduction in pain, by any means, might have an effect?

I don’t know if any scientific studies have been carried out but I keep an open mind.

I, though, am always wary about any supplement or medication. All can have unintended consequences but also can be life changing but as I said, I’m more evidence based
Yeah, I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's highly likely any benefit is "tangential".

SallyF90

I would like help with sleeping with regard to CBD. Diabetes makes my blood pressure high and I find it difficult to sleep. I also have anxiety which doesn't help. I have been told by a friend that she uses high strength CBD oil that helps.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I would like help with sleeping with regard to CBD. Diabetes makes my blood pressure high and I find it difficult to sleep. I also have anxiety which doesn't help. I have been told by a friend that she uses high strength CBD oil that helps.

Welcome to the forums @SallyF90.
Not sure about the relationship between high blood pressure, diabetes and sleep, but whatever the reason lots of people have trouble sleeping. (Personally I just read till I can't keep my eyes open any longer but I know plenty of people who struggle, eg my T2 dad. ) It's a hard thing to cope with and you have my sympathy but now I'm confused, are you asking for yourself or your mum? Are you both diabetic and what medications are you on?

Stress unfortunately doesn't help your blood sugar levels, your ability to sleep or your blood pressure, so I imagine that anything that reduces stress could help, but I would advise you to be careful about considering possible interactions with other drugs.