Cauliflower Mash

Garethdeb

Hi folks,
In an effort to find alternatives for mash spud I tried cauliflower mash the other day. Blended with butter and pepper it was ok but a much wetter texture than mash spud.
Any recommendations on how I could thicken it?
Cheers all

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks,
In an effort to find alternatives for mash spud I tried cauliflower mash the other day. Blended with butter and pepper it was ok but a much wetter texture than mash spud.
Cheers all
How did you cook the cauliflower? If it was boiled, you needto make sure it is not overcooked, and drain it, and let it dry before mashing it. Also, if you ‘mash’ it with a blender don’t let it run too long. I find an old fashioned spud masher works best. Sometimes add finely grated parmesan.

edit: forgot to say “Welcome”, as you are new. Hope you will find the support and advice you need.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Garethdeb , no advice on how to ticken it, as I never tried.

You could try with a little cornstach. Although it is very high carb, you only need very little of it and it might do the trick. Or perhaps you could add an egg and slowly heat while stirring until it has thickened?
(OK, I guess I did give advice, but none from experience!)

If I make cauliflower puree, I leave the cooked and drained cauliflower for a little while without the lid, so it will lose more of it's water, and I definitely don't add wet things to it. I also make sure to blend very finely (I use a stick blender). This works for me, but is of no help if you already made the puree.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, if you ‘mash’ it with a blender don’t let it run too long. I find an old fashioned spud masher works best.
Oh, looks like we gave completely opposite advice! :D
I find running the blender very long suddenly changes the puree to a creamy texture, much like mashed potatoes.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not as low carb as cauli but about half that of potatoes (and about as cheap), how about mashed swede?

Reactions: jjraak

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drain it well then put it floret down on some kitchen paper for about 30 seconds, mash with masher I do this because I prefer a coarser texture. Stir in some butter and cream cheese season how you like and serve, I do freeze it sometimes and this can make it wetter and I’ve found it’s less wet after freezing if you do it in a sandwich bag, pat it flat making sure all the air is out then freeze.

Shaun_p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I blend up broccoli, sprouts asparagus, spinach and avacado, best way is let it dry abit and pulse it with a hand blender, leave it for a a few minutes then I sprinkle some flaxseed in to thicken it up a little and stir it with a fork.
Hope that helps.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,
Cheers all

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

You could look at the nutritional value of celeriac as a "mixer?"

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, looks like we gave completely opposite advice! :D
I find running the blender very long suddenly changes the puree to a creamy texture, much like mashed potatoes.
Well , I am a bit of a Luddite, so stick to the equipment my granny would use in the kitchen, but find if the cauliflower is wet it does go to mush.
Also, I hate cleaning the blender after use. A potato ricer works well, too.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...&biw=1121&bih=1438&dpr=2#imgrc=3foh3DvW1ywR3M

Reactions: Antje77

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,
Cheers all

You might consider using a cheese cloth to squeeze some liquid out of the cooked cauliflower, like when one is making cheese. I have not tried it, but it seems a plausible solution as to what I saw on youtube.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well , I am a bit of a Luddite, so stick to the equipment my granny would use in the kitchen
I inherited the stick blender from my granny, never used one before her passing!
And I love how you only have to run the stick under the tap after use, no fiddling with cleaning different parts. :)

Reactions: lovinglife

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try steaming or microwaving the cauliflower first rather than boiling it so no water can hide in those sneaky crevices

Or roast it in the oven. Break into florets, toss them in olive oil or melted butter, then in the oven at least 20 minutes or until florets are soft. Then blitz.
Can add spices at the tossing stage, makes a nice change to the finished mash, or you can just eat it roasted.

Enjoy

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I steam cauli, leave to stand for a few minutes in goes some butter & pepper then pulse with a stick blender. I now prefer it to mash topping. Never thought to add some cream cheese, will try @Jo_the_boat's suggestion.

finzi1966

Hi Gareth! Top tips from me would be to steam or roast it first rather than boil it. Once it’s cooked let it steam-dry (won’t be necessary if you’ve roasted), then add garlic powder, cream cheese or double cream, plenty of salt and pepper, and butter

Reactions: jjraak

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I usually boil it and then add some cream and cheese on the top after blending. In terms of thickening it, maybe Xanthan gum? (although I have not tried that).

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Loving the different ideas on one of my favourite dishes. I steam mine, use a stick blender briefly. Then mix in Parmesan with a spoon just before I put on the plate. Oh and lots of black pepper.

Reactions: Antje77

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm sure the OP will thank you all eventually!

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love cauliflower mash but. I really, really love broccoli mash.
Frozen works brilliantly. Just mash (I use stick blender) with butter, salt and pepper to taste.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, boil or steam, first! I find frozen broccoli boiled and drained works better for some reason. (I’m sure you realised but just in case ….)