1 month in, and left to my own devices!

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lavender or Tea tree oil is very useful too. I qualified as an aromatherapist back in the day, and I always have Lavender and Tea tree oil in the house. if you take this route, buy the good stuff not cheapo.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lavender or Tea tree oil is very useful too
@Outlier I saw a recommendation for Vic ointment and am currently using it. Vic has the advantage of being cheap as chips. Maybe in this context I should say, "Cheap as pork scratchings" or "Cheap as cauliflower rice"? I do rather like the nostalgic smell.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vick is brilliant for so many conditions. It's another of my medicine cabinet staples. I'm currently using it on my chilblains.

Reactions: Mrs HJG

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Outlier Am interested in this as I have chilblains. Do you use vic when the skin is broken, and how long does it take to help?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like diabetes, it takes different times for different people, depending on age, immune system, how bad someone has let them get, how well they are protecting their feet/hands day by day (thick woolly socks on one end, ditto gloves on the other). For me, a temporary stop in taking hot baths, and twice-daily application of ointment, does the trick in about 4 days, but we are all different. As for can you use it on broken skin - I don't know. I never let mine get to that stage. If I did I would, but that's not to say it's a good or bad idea.

Reactions: Mrs HJG

Sarahlouxoxo

Oh @Sarahlouxoxo I feel your pain! I think the 'professionals' who deal with diabetics all day every day forget that to us it is all completely new and scary and we know nothing. Thank goodness for places like this - although it is still hard to know what is 'relevant to me', and trying not to go down too many rabbit holes of doom.
I found a little fungal toenail (sorry, tmi), as I left my nail varnish on too long, and quickly got convinced I would end up with having my foot amputated - 2 weeks of over the counter treatment and it's almost gone, like a normal person!

I understand that completely, this past week anything new and I’m freaking out thinking it’s something horrendous I’m going to have to deal with, I’m starting to realise that I will still be able to lead a normal life just with a few extra duties but yeah this place is amazing! There’s so much support and info, I haven’t even had to call my diabetic clinic for advice