Blood sugar 25 after eating pizza 6 hours ago

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a T2D this is a rare event that if it occurs, needs urgent medical assistance. A level of 25 (assuming mmol/l not mg/dl i.e it is a UK pizza.) is capable of causing this. Please check the symptoms in this link to make sure
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...MIpa2CxNPG9QIVV4BQBh3O8QePEAAYASAAEgIg-vD_BwE
Apart from that, high sugar levels will make you thirsty and perhaps feeling a bit off. I have had higher levels, and felt normal, but it is not recommended. Pizza is known to have long term effects due to the fat content, and the high carb load in the base. 6 hours is pushing it and it should have gone down a bit after 4 hours, so that is why I ask you to be aware of DKA. You may have an infection that can affecrt insulin and blood sugar levles.

What medication or lifestyle methods do you normally use to control your sugar levels? Most T2 meds need to be taken before or with the meal, and cannot be used like insulin to correct a bad meal choice after the meal has caused a spike. They do not do much in the way of bolus.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Help, is this normal. My mouth feels very dry
If in doubt, call 111 for advice, that's what they're there for!

What numbers do you usually see, and what type of diabetes do you have?
Are you on medication?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who agrees that if in doubt get some medical advice. It's a lot better to be told that it's fine rather tha be even worse because you didn't ask.

Diabetes is a learning curve- I don't think we ever know everything as our bodies are complex.So please get some medical advice and let us know how you go.

kms85

I'm not on medication, and I'm sure this doesn't normally happened. When I checked at 6.30 it was down at 14 so it must be the pizza. I'm type 2 and is isn't usually this high

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @kms85
Excellent news that your levels are on the way down but your experience has taught you a couple of valuable lessons. Ist that pizza is a really poor choice for T2's and 2nd that your meter is essential for learning what food s we can eat and what is best avoided. If you test immediately before you eat and again around 2hr later you will know what that meal has done to your glucose levels.

M

Member496333

Flour dough pizza is the perfect storm of carbohydrate and fat. It’s up there with doughnuts on the list of things to body-swerve for a type 2.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not on medication, and I'm sure this doesn't normally happened. When I checked at 6.30 it was down at 14 so it must be the pizza. I'm type 2 and is isn't usually this high
Pizza has a distinctly ‘interesting’ impact on blood sugars. Combinations of fats and carbs seem the perfect way to boost blood sugars. I have similar spikes with pizza and similar, like pastry and fish and chips but nowhere near the level you had, however there is a question also as to what it was before you had the pizza?

those levels are high, and so are the 12.6 and 14. A good amount, in my opinion. What are your normal levels?

kms85

I'm usually quite low. I had a small bowl of cereal at about 12 so now it's gone up again like it always seems to when I have cereal. I'm not feeling bad or anything. I usually have great control of my sugar. I was diagnosed in 2013 when I did have ketoacidosis and my sugar was above 40. I have pizza usually on a Saturday but I don't check my sugar just happened to do it yesterday

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm usually quite low. I had a small bowl of cereal at about 12 so now it's gone up again like it always seems to when I have cereal. I'm not feeling bad or anything. I usually have great control of my sugar. I was diagnosed in 2013 when I did have ketoacidosis and my sugar was above 40. I have pizza usually on a Saturday but I don't check my sugar just happened to do it yesterday
What sort of cereal?
Generally high carb so that could also be expected to cause a rise. Unfortunately I have found there ate no things as good carbs. whether a potato, cereal, chocolate or fruit… it all works in similar ways, the only difference i find is how long the spike is maintained, and thats where as i said, fatty carby foods are a longer and more sustained impact

kms85

What sort of cereal?
Generally high carb so that could also be expected to cause a rise. Unfortunately I have found there ate no things as good carbs. whether a potato, cereal, chocolate or fruit… it all works in similar ways, the only difference i find is how long the spike is maintained, and thats where as i said, fatty carby foods are a longer and more sustained impact

Shreddies

kms85

At about 5 it went down to 8 however after my tea (chicken and veg) it is now 12.5 3 hours later. I think I'm just getting anxious about it so it's making me stressed and worried. I'll speak to my doctor tomorrow

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I do not want to seem harsh, but Pizza and Shreddies will not put you on a path to good outcomes. Have you considered trying to reverse the scenario with diabetes and perhaps be in the normal ranges for before and after eating.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At about 5 it went down to 8 however after my tea (chicken and veg) it is now 12.5 3 hours later. I think I'm just getting anxious about it so it's making me stressed and worried. I'll speak to my doctor tomorrow
That sounds like a solid plan. Stress won’t help and can make levels worse too. That rise with chicken and veg sounds a bit high but depends on what was had. Did you have any starchy veg like potatoes, parsnips etc?

getting control is good. You have had sone warning signs with the levels so it’s a good opportunity just to have a look and see if you have some changes you can make and get a general check over to make sure it’s all on track

Reactions: EllieM

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shreddies are about 78% carbs from memory.
They are so carby that I used use them for my at home OGTT.

Pizza can be kryptonite to most diabetics, I've seen CGMs of non-diabetics that pulsed for hours after eating pizza.

So you were diagnosed back in 2013, has anyone given you dietary advice in that time.
How's your A1c & what meds have you been taking ?
Sounds like you could do with some help.

kms85

I'm starting to think it's not all pizza. I had a can of Jack Daniels and Coke last night. Had another tonight to rule it out and now I'm on 17.7 without finishing it

kms85

That sounds like a solid plan. Stress won’t help and can make levels worse too. That rise with chicken and veg sounds a bit high but depends on what was had. Did you have any starchy veg like potatoes, parsnips etc?

getting control is good. You have had sone warning signs with the levels so it’s a good opportunity just to have a look and see if you have some changes you can make and get a general check over to make sure it’s all on track
I had some potato slices with it

M

Member496333

Woke up this morning on 12.2. I'm not sure what to do as this is really stressing me out now

I don’t wish to sound curt, but the first thing to do is to stop eating pizza, potato and Shreddies. You are consuming vast quantities of carbohydrate and your metabolism simply can’t cope. If cutting out these foods has little or no effect after a few weeks then you may also have insulin deficiency problems but right now you need to stop eating glucose or things will only get much, much worse. The numbers you are quoting are very damaging to your health. Again, sorry to be terse but sometimes tough love is needed.

Reactions: finzi1966