Blood sugar 25 after eating pizza 6 hours ago

kms85

I don’t wish to sound curt, but the first thing to do is to stop eating pizza, potato and Shreddies. You are consuming vast quantities of carbohydrate and your metabolism simply can’t cope. If cutting out these foods has little or no effect after a few weeks then you may also have insulin deficiency problems but right now you need to stop eating glucose or things will only get much, much worse. The numbers you are quoting are very damaging to your health. Again, sorry to be terse but sometimes tough love is needed.

I didn't think it was the drink but that's all I had after my tea yesterday

M

Member496333

You have to realise that type 2 doesn’t reset itself between meals. Even if you didn’t eat for 48h, in all likelihood your metabolic fires would still be raging. Sometimes blood glucose goes up. There could be a number of additional factors besides what you are eating, but right now you need to just stop consuming so much carbohydrate and see what happens. Within a few days you should see your numbers beginning to go down. If they don’t then that’s another matter but first things first.

Lakeslover

I'm starting to think it's not all pizza. I had a can of Jack Daniels and Coke last night. Had another tonight to rule it out and now I'm on 17.7 without finishing it

if that’s normal Coke rather than diet it’s full of sugar and will send your levels up again.

kms85

if that’s normal Coke rather than diet it’s full of sugar and will send your levels up again.

It's normal coke. I suppose what's bothering me is I stopped doing tests so often so when I was checking it was always after my tea before I was getting a shower so it was always around the 8-9 mark.
Just seems to be bad now after this weekend. I'm knocking shreddies, pizza and the drinks off for the next couple of weeks and will see what the outcome is

AGC_68

It's normal coke. I suppose what's bothering me is I stopped doing tests so often so when I was checking it was always after my tea before I was getting a shower so it was always around the 8-9 mark.
Just seems to be bad now after this weekend. I'm knocking shreddies, pizza and the drinks off for the next couple of weeks and will see what the outcome is
@kms85
First of all if BG levels are getting as high as the levels you are reporting you definitely need to seek medical advice to be safe. Call 111 or call your GP and explain what kind of levels you are getting on the phone to the receptionist and see what they say.

When did you get diagnosed with T2? How have your HbA1C test results been going since then? What has been happening at your meetings with the DSN and/or GP? If you're not on meds then I assume that means you're looking to control you condition with diet and lifestyle? Where did you get you advice on your diet and lifestyle to control and improve this condition? What do you eat every day (what are your goals, are you logging it?)? How much activity do you get (goals? logs?)? How has your HbA1C been changing over time? How has your weight or body composition been changing? What is your actual plan to improve your situation? Reducing calories/eating low carb/engaging in more activity? Or are you just continuing as if you have no T2 to consider?

Longer term. Even if you need to go on meds to control you current very high BG levels, ask yourself: Do you have the desire/will power to try and better manage/possibly reverse your T2 with changes to diet and lifestyle? If so start on the journey, read this link and start implementing changes:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/reversing-diabetes.html
Start logging what you eat and do and the effects on your BG levels.
Use an app like MyFitneessPal or others like it. See how much, carb, fat and protein you are taking in. The changes take time.
If your GP outs you on meds, tell them if you go low carb and lifestyle .. they can help monitor changes and adapt medication accordingly so that you stay safe.

If you don't feel that you can dot he diet and lifestyle thing, and not everyone can, then you're going to need meds. Your choice. Only you know what you really want or whether you have the motivation. You have to take on control as much as possible.

Sorry if the above sounds harsh, but as others have said, but it is what is, saying otherwise isn't going to change the facts.

The very best of luck to you.

kms85

It was all going well until I injured my knee a year ago and am waiting for a 2nd operation so I haven't been able to exercise cos I can't walk very far at the moment without feeling unsteady

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What you eat will have far more impact on BGs than exercise. As @AGC_68 says logging your food on something like myfitnesspal.com will help monitor how many carbs you are having.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You can't outrun a bad diet. I can't exercise but keep my blood sugars for the most part in the normal range by keeping to a low carb diet the more carbs you eat the higher your blood sugar levels will go.

You may eventually require blood sugar reducing meds or Insulin.

I hope you have the means to test for ketones because high blood sugars plus high ketones could lead to another spell of DKA.

AGC_68

It was all going well until I injured my knee a year ago and am waiting for a 2nd operation so I haven't been able to exercise cos I can't walk very far at the moment without feeling unsteady
Change your diet accordingly, fewer carbs. if you're overweight be in a calorie deficit for a while so that you lose weight (it'll help the knee too).
Find other ways to train that don't involve the knee the same way. Do what you can for your goal.

But for you. Step 1, make that medical call about you BG levels.

AGC_68

You can do this. Take the first step.
Start logging and posting what you eat and do on here, and your FBG in the morning .. there are a couple of threads here where people that do that. Writing it down sharing it, seeing what it does to your BGs will help. Other people who have been through the same will support. Start doing it .. take that step and then move forwards, one more step .. and then another. Keep going.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, weird you had DKA with a BG of 40 and you’ve managed to keep numbers good, on diet alone, eating pizza and shreddies, but hey whatever works, pizza is a no no for me, the rollercoaster goes on for 24 hours, just say no :) best of luck.

finzi1966

Are you kidding us? I really don’t want to sound unkind, but I’m almost wondering if you’re winding us up? You eat PIZZA? Then SHREDDIES? And then you wonder why your blood sugar is sky high? And then it turns out that your “chicken and veg” meal actually included potato. And then to top it all, you tell us you drank a full-sugar Coke?

You are risking your health, your kidneys, your eyesight, your limbs - *please* reconsider your diet, this is so sad. It’s almost like you’ve read every single piece of advice here and decided to do the exact opposite.

In the end it’s your body. If you want to self-destruct because you want to eat pizza and drink Coke with 33g of sugar in it, and eat potatoes and, god help you, Shreddies, then there really isn’t anything anyone can do to stop you - you’re an adult, you make your own choices. But I can’t help thinking that if you’re coming on here and asking for advice, then at least on some subconscious level, you *must* care. Please try to harness that desire to make things better, or at least not any worse. You CAN stop eating these poisonous things - lots of people have. Even if you just cut down somewhat, to start with - you really couldn’t get a lot worse than what you’re doing now.

Your bad knee is irrelevant for now. Exercise is good, on the whole, but for someone with the disastrous diet and blood sugars that you have, to be honest your knee and lack of exercise is the least of your problems.

As to why it has *suddenly* got so bad - we can’t diagnose medical things here. But in T2D the pancreas can pack up, after years of abuse, and stop producing insulin altogether. No diet controlled T2 should be seeing blood sugars of 25, under ANY circumstances. I am very concerned for you medically.

Do take care {{{hugs}}}

kms85

Are you kidding us? I really don’t want to sound unkind, but I’m almost wondering if you’re winding us up? You eat PIZZA? Then SHREDDIES? And then you wonder why your blood sugar is sky high? And then it turns out that your “chicken and veg” meal actually included potato. And then to top it all, you tell us you drank a full-sugar Coke?

You are risking your health, your kidneys, your eyesight, your limbs - *please* reconsider your diet, this is so sad. It’s almost like you’ve read every single piece of advice here and decided to do the exact opposite.

In the end it’s your body. If you want to self-destruct because you want to eat pizza and drink Coke with 33g of sugar in it, and eat potatoes and, god help you, Shreddies, then there really isn’t anything anyone can do to stop you - you’re an adult, you make your own choices. But I can’t help thinking that if you’re coming on here and asking for advice, then at least on some subconscious level, you *must* care. Please try to harness that desire to make things better, or at least not any worse. You CAN stop eating these poisonous things - lots of people have. Even if you just cut down somewhat, to start with - you really couldn’t get a lot worse than what you’re doing now.

Your bad knee is irrelevant for now. Exercise is good, on the whole, but for someone with the disastrous diet and blood sugars that you have, to be honest your knee and lack of exercise is the least of your problems.

As to why it has *suddenly* got so bad - we can’t diagnose medical things here. But in T2D the pancreas can pack up, after years of abuse, and stop producing insulin altogether. No diet controlled T2 should be seeing blood sugars of 25, under ANY circumstances. I am very concerned for you medically.

Do take care {{{hugs}}}

I am trying now more so than I was. I know I was
losing my focus but because it wasn't affecting me so much to notice I didn't seem to worry. I just wanted some advice as to why things might have changed with my sugar levels but maybe I came across as not caring but I do. I'm terrified after Saturday night. I have my diabetic blood test booked for next week.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying now more so than I was. I know I was
losing my focus but because it wasn't affecting me so much to notice I didn't seem to worry. I just wanted some advice as to why things might have changed with my sugar levels but maybe I came across as not caring but I do. I'm terrified after Saturday night. I have my diabetic blood test booked for next week.
It can be a lot to learn. Having to reverse in your head a lot of what you thought was okay. I went through all this, healthy whole grain, fruit is okay etc. but for us T2 it doesn’t work that way for whatever reason our bodies and carbs don’t mix well

it’s easy to internally dismiss the changes and just assume one bad reading is a one off. But you have made the decision now to go to the doctor, to ask help here. There are potentials to improve, find out what your hba1c is and look at your carb intake. Ask us here, look at the labels, and weigh things if you need. It will be eye opening how many carbs are everywhere.

Keep to the meter checking if you can, before and 2 hours after meals.

good luck!

Last edited:

finzi1966

I feel bad now, I didn’t mean to be harsh - I can see you’re anxious. One thing you must make clear to your medical team is exactly how bad these readings have been - your HbA1C may or may not be particularly instructive, because if things have only been going terribly wrong for the last couple of weeks, your HbA1C won’t truly reflect this- its an average of your blood glucose over the past 3 months. Like I said before, *nobody* with diet-controlled T2D should be getting a blood glucose of 25 EVER. Don’t let anybody be falsely reassured by a not-too-bad HbA1C.

It may be that you will need to go on medication now or perhaps permanently. Please don’t be upset if this happens, it’s nothing to feel bad about. The absolute priority is getting your blood sugar back down to normal, or as normal as you can manage. Even the 8s and 9s that you were talking about are not really OK. At that level, damage is being done to your organs.

Read some of the threads in the Success Stories and Testimonials sections - lots of people with figures as bad as yours have succeeded in getting their numbers back in the normal range simply by eating the right things. There is SO much scope for things to improve for you - you aren’t on any medication yet, so that may well be something that could make a big difference. And your diet is terrible, which means that you’ve got huge scope to make things better.

I’m on several meds, and eat less than 30g carbohydrates per day. If I get a blood sugar of 8 (which to be fair only happens occasionally) its really upsetting for me, *because* there is literally almost nothing that I can do to make things better. You have so many things you can do to get your blood sugars where they should be (5/6/7mmol). You just have to do them. But I do think that medication may need to be involved, at least initially.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mr. Zig is completely diet controlled. The last time he/we had pizza (YEARS ago) it made him so ill it was absolutely frightening, the morning after, a full 15 hours later he was stumbling around and disorientated and nearly got knocked down as he slipped into the road. In our house apart from a few exceptions white food is a total no-no. Pizza and chips used to be a staple in the past Cauliflower is one of the few foods Stress also puts his levels up

Reactions: JohnEGreen

kms85

I'm not eating anywhere near as much as I was and I'm still coming down from Saturday night. I haven't been anywhere near 25 anymore but I'm hovering around 10-11 hours after eating. I've been having a really long think and planning what changes I'm making which is lots.

I feel so stupid that you all seemed to think I was self destructing myself when the truth was I just really wanted to reach out to someone who understands as my family aren't diabetics and think I'm just panicking about nothing. I'm really scared about what's going to happen to me in the future.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hovering around 10 - 11 sounds like a massive improvement to me!
Keep up the good work!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if you felt "jumped upon". Those numbers were scarily high and we were worried.
There is a lot to learn and it takes time to unlearn a lot of what we've all been told was healthy eating, eg fruit.
We were all the same at the start of our diagnoses. Keep asking questions, everyone on here is supportive

finzi1966

That’s a really big improvement! I know it probably isn’t the numbers you’d like, that’s true, but you’re not on any medication so there’s plenty of scope for things to get better.

One thing: you say you’re not eating “anywhere near as much as you were”: I’m worried that you’re thinking you have to under-eat in order to get some control of your sugars. I don’t think any of us were saying you were eating *too much* (I mean, I don’t know, because we haven’t seen how much you eat!). We were saying you were eating *too many carbs*. Cut the carbs down to, say, <50g per day, and you can eat as much as you want of everything else :)

So (because I think maybe nobody has really explained, elsewhere in the thread)

No bread (of any colour)
No rice
No pasta
No potatoes
No pizza
No chips
No cakes
No sweets or chocolate
No fizzy drinks (unless sugar-free)

With caution: carrots, peas, beans, berries

As much As you want of:
Chicken