Help choosing a pump!

Charlieann94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

New to this forum so hope you're all doing well.

I recently have been approved for a pump and I have a meeting next week to go through all the paperwork etc.

They've given me two options and I was hoping some of you may wish to share your experiences.

Omnipod dash or Medtronic 780G.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Charlie

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We all have different requirements when it comes to pumps. Some people like them big and easy to read, some people like them small and discrete, some people want them easy to disconnect which means tubey other don't like the idea of tubes becaus ethey fear they may catch them on something. Some people need specific cannula which limit their pump choses and some people can take any, some people need more insulin so need to make sure they have a larger cartridge in their pump, some people want to start with closed look, some people want the option to add it at a later date, some people aren't interested in closed looping, ...

I do not have experience of either of the pumps you mention (although they are the more common ones so you should get some response soon). However, I have experience of a tubey and a non-tubey pump.
I never caught my tube and found it easy to tuck away. But, I needed to get my tubey pump out to bolus so couldn't hide it. As a result, I felt that my diabetes was always on display. My tubeless pump is smaller and much more discrete (similar to OmniPod but smaller). I love that I control it with a phone app so never have to expose it. However, with a tubeless pump, I am limited to a single canula and a larger area of the pump is attached to my body so I find it gets itchy.

In short - I recommend thinking about what is important to you. As I said these are both common pumps so they are reasonably reliable.

Reactions: Charlieann94

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

New to this forum so hope you're all doing well.

I recently have been approved for a pump and I have a meeting next week to go through all the paperwork etc.

They've given me two options and I was hoping some of you may wish to share your experiences.

Omnipod dash or Medtronic 780G.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Charlie
I was exactly in your position a few months ago, so I realise how frustrating my response may be, but the bottom line is...

It's hard for anyone to tell you. As InResponse has mentioned there are lots of different reasons why one may be more suitable than the other most of which come down to lifestyle concerns.

I have an Omnipod Dash primarily because I have two young children and I didn't want anything they might grab. In that regard, it's been a success though I have had Pods rather painfully kicked a number of times.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've tried the Omnipod but not the dash, I do prefer tubed pumps. Your decision will be on either tubed or fixed to you like the Omnipod Dash (I'd think you could get some to try). For the Medtronic 780G, ask if your getting the version with the included CGM system (guardian 4 I think), if so then this would be a good choice with its self-adjusting basal and autocorrection dosing.

GingerRobbo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I have been approved the funding just need to work out what pump I like. Can I ask how has any one got on with a patch pump and contact sport like football? I love the idea of a patch pump but I have enough trouble with sensors staying on after I have played.

Charlieann94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I have been approved the funding just need to work out what pump I like. Can I ask how has any one got on with a patch pump and contact sport like football? I love the idea of a patch pump but I have enough trouble with sensors staying on after I have played.
Hey! Why don't you order the free Omnipod sample and give it a go? I decided to go for the tubed pump as I think it will be easier to hide.

holmroad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.
Unnecessary obesity.
Hi I am 79 and finding that my diabetic clinician consultant is not keen on me having a pump instead of four daily injections - I've been T1D since 1971 and on base bolus regimen - Novorapid 6-7units three times daily
and Tresiba 9units once at night.
Can anyone else comment please as I'm receiving a telephone appointment with him tomorrow afternoon (UK) and need some ammunition!
Regards, Jim

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I am 79 and finding that my diabetic clinician consultant is not keen on me having a pump instead of four daily injections - I've been T1D since 1971 and on base bolus regimen - Novorapid 6-7units three times daily
Can anyone else comment please as I'm receiving a telephone appointment with him tomorrow afternoon (UK) and need some ammunition!
Regards, Jim

Hi Jim - I was also a 1971'er although 16 yrs your junior. I was offered a pump because I could not manage my dawn glucose issues even with multi long lasting injections and short acting for meals and corrections. I met an older lady when I picked up my most recent pump who was being given same one as me because she was struggling to avoid hypo's. Another arguments could be "quality of life", so having to inject in public etc plus better control ? sorry can't be of more help.

Charlieann94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Regards, Jim
Hi Jim, sorry I've just seen this. How did you get on?