Foot on the floor drop

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My blood sugar's started dropping by around 2.7 whenever I get up, even if that's at different times. It's not exercise related, and I was just curious to see if anyone else noticed their blood sugar drops when they get up?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My blood sugar's started dropping by around 2.7 whenever I get up, even if that's at different times. It's not exercise related, and I was just curious to see if anyone else noticed their blood sugar drops when they get up?

That's strange, I'd only ever heard of blood sugar going up for foot on the floor....

You're on a pump? What are your pump settings doing when all this happens and over how long a period does the drop occur? Does it happen if you have an afternoon nap or lie down?

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd not heard of it before either. There's an immediate drop when I'm getting washed and dressed, and it continues going down for up to 30 minutes. I don't have a lie down in the afternoon, so can't compare it then.

I'm on a pump, but it's not one that gives more or less insulin automatically if your blood sugar's going up or down. Not quite sure if that's what you mean, sorry if I've misunderstood.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you exercising?
I find my foot on the floor only happens when I have done no exercise the day before
Therefore, I have a basal pattern/profile on my pump for no exercise which increases basal around the time I get up and another for post exercise days which has no foot on the floor basal increase.
If your basal pattern on your pump assumes a foot on the floor increase but it does not happen or is less pronounced than your morning basal rate assumes, your blood sugar levels will rise.

It sounds to me as if you need to change your basal pattern (or create a new one) with a different morning profile.
I suspect your levels fall because your pump is programmed to give you more basal than you need at that time of day

I often have to change and tweak my basal pattern and am very glad I have the tools available to do so

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm on a pump, but it's not one that gives more or less insulin automatically if your blood sugar's going up or down. Not quite sure if that's what you mean, sorry if I've misunderstood.

I don't use a pump, but have been offered one on the grounds that you can set it to automatically change basal rates at certain fixed times? I was wondering if you had it set to increase basal rates to counter dawn phenomena? IN any case, can't you set it to automatically reduce the rate round about when you get up. Or if you get up at varying times, could you just reduce its rate when you wake?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't exercise, due to other health conditions.

I have to change and tweak my basal rates too, and like you am very glad I've got a pump.

The thing that puzzles me about the drop in blood sugar is that it happens regardless of the time I get up. It's easy to change my pump settings for the days I get up at the same time, but if I get up enexpectedly early or late, there's no simple answer. If I get up straight after waking, any changes to pump settings, or even turning the pump off for a short time, doesn't stop the sudden drop, but makes me high later on.

Thanks for your replies, I was just curious really to see if anyone else had experienced it.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't exercise, due to other health conditions.

I have to change and tweak my basal rates too, and like you am very glad I've got a pump.

The thing that puzzles me about the drop in blood sugar is that it happens regardless of the time I get up. It's easy to change my pump settings for the days I get up at the same time, but if I get up enexpectedly early or late, there's no simple answer. If I get up straight after waking, any changes to pump settings, or even turning the pump off for a short time, doesn't stop the sudden drop, but makes me high later on.

Thanks for your replies, I was just curious really to see if anyone else had experienced it.
I have got a pump too and the only thing I can suggest is that you may be having a drowsy low grade hypo and it is only when you awaken that you notice? Not sure if you have a cgm to confirm this? I've got Dexcom and mine slopes down if I have exercised the day before or not eaten much for prior meal.
It is a bit weird because for years I had Dawn rise but since low carb not so much! Or maybe it is just getting older...

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your suggestion, I use Libre 2 and xdrip, so can see what levels have been doing whilst I've been asleep.