"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Emergency call from No 2 son. The dogs have found a place where the wind damaged the fence and the 2 young ones got out and were running around the village! The older one - a lab, can't be bothered. That's dangerous for them. This is a crofting village and loose dogs are not appreciated, especially big ones. He's the only one in the house and his car is still in the hospital car park in Stornoway. He was asking if Neil could go and catch the dogs, but Neil is out. So I said I would go and find them in the car. Looked out - no car. Neil must have gone for a walk a long way away and taken the car to get there.

A further phone call - someone phoned No 2 son and said he'd caught the St Bernard and saw the newfie heading down the village road. So No 2 son (aka Alistair) had to go out and catch the newfie and walk him down the road on a lead. He phoned to let me know as he was walking home with the dog and sounded absolutely awful, shaky, weak voice and breathless. The 2 dogs will be kept in until Braidie gets home from school when he can take them out for exercise. Even Braidie has a job holding them but I daresay he'll manage it. Actually Banksie (the newfie) walks to heel a lot better than he used to and doesn't pull too much, but the St Bernard was previously owned by a man in a wheelchair and was never out of the house and never taught anything, so she's a bit of a handful. They were hoping that pregnancy might calm her down a bit, but it turned out that she wasn't pregnant after all.

All's well that ends well.

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness @Annb that was quite an adventure for you all as well as the dogs. Thank goodness it all ended well and they are safe now.
Thank you and @Pipp for your nice comments about Dennis on the other thread. I’m really missing him and I’ve started stalking dog walkers ( something I did after my last dog died) If I see a dog Walker when I’m out, I will sort of sidle up to them and find an excuse to befriend them and pet the dog! Luckily most dog owners I’ve met have been very friendly and more than happy to chat about their dogs. I think it’s time I went home though

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m really missing him and I’ve started stalking dog walkers ( something I did after my last dog died) If I see a dog Walker when I’m out, I will sort of sidle up to them and find an excuse to befriend them and pet the dog! Luckily most dog owners I’ve met have been very friendly and more
That's so funny, and so true.
We live next to a public footpath and I make make point of getting to know all the local dogs... can't remember who any of the owners are, but know each dog!

Reactions: DJC3 and Pipp

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If I see a dog Walker when I’m out, I will sort of sidle up to them and find an excuse to befriend them and pet the dog!
Last week after swimming I went for groceries. Spotted the cutest puppy when exiting the supermarket so I hurried to put the cart in its place and made a beeline to the puppy, worried about the owner having moved on before I could get to the puppy and thinking about what to say to make sure I'd get to pet it.
Puppy was still there, and my eyes lit up when seeing the owner was one of the other swimmers I see twice a week, it's a lot easier to demand cuddling a puppy without being rude if you know the owner, right?

Lots of petting and cuddling and lovely little spikey teeth followed!
The puppy was only 8 weeks old, and they only got him two days earlier. Lots of talking about their old dog and how she was to teach the new dog everything she knew too. And more cuddling and licking and petting. :happy:

So yesterday at the pool I asked the owner how her dog was getting along.
She didn't have a dog and she proceeded to tell me how much she hates dog poo and how she doesn't let her grandkids play in the park because of dog poo.

So the dog owner must have been a perfect stranger, and I talking to them like I had every right to ask all those questions! :sorry::bag:
Still, no regrets, I got way more puppy love than if I hadn't thought I knew this woman!

Reactions: DJC3

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Goodness @Annb that was quite an adventure for you all as well as the dogs. Thank goodness it all ended well and they are safe now.
Thank you and @Pipp for your nice comments about Dennis on the other thread. I’m really missing him and I’ve started stalking dog walkers ( something I did after my last dog died) If I see a dog Walker when I’m out, I will sort of sidle up to them and find an excuse to befriend them and pet the dog! Luckily most dog owners I’ve met have been very friendly and more than happy to chat about their dogs. I think it’s time I went home though
Where is Dennis? Worried now.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our online order came just before, all present and correct, no out of stock or substitutions delivered this time.

I will be ordering on a Tues again to get a win. :D

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
3 am. All's quiet. I didn't bother going to bed and slept for my usual length of time in the kitchen chair. Just took some Co-codamol - legs have been bad for the last few days and I've developed a new hip pain, so maybe the chair wasn't a good idea after all.

Trying to decide what to do about food for the 3 days on the mainland. As much of a problem for Neil as for me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where is Dennis? Worried now.

Haha don’t worry, he’s at home with my daughter. Paul and I went up to London last week for my 6 month scan, only intending to stay a few days. However daughter phoned in the meantime to say she’d got Covid ( well a pos LF test anyway) so we couldn’t come home as she was isolating!
We’ve had to book a holiday cottage for a week which has been wonderful. She’s still fine and luckily has still managed to take Dennis for a run in the fields behind our house. She’s sending me regular photos and videos of him but it’s not the same.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last week after swimming I went for groceries. Spotted the cutest puppy when exiting the supermarket so I hurried to put the cart in its place and made a beeline to the puppy, worried about the owner having moved on before I could get to the puppy and thinking about what to say to make sure I'd get to pet it.
Puppy was still there, and my eyes lit up when seeing the owner was one of the other swimmers I see twice a week, it's a lot easier to demand cuddling a puppy without being rude if you know the owner, right?

Lots of petting and cuddling and lovely little spikey teeth followed!
The puppy was only 8 weeks old, and they only got him two days earlier. Lots of talking about their old dog and how she was to teach the new dog everything she knew too. And more cuddling and licking and petting. :happy:

So yesterday at the pool I asked the owner how her dog was getting along.
She didn't have a dog and she proceeded to tell me how much she hates dog poo and how she doesn't let her grandkids play in the park because of dog poo.

So the dog owner must have been a perfect stranger, and I talking to them like I had every right to ask all those questions! :sorry::bag:
Still, no regrets, I got way more puppy love than if I hadn't thought I knew this woman!

That’s hilarious. I think people with puppies expect to be mobbed though! Puppies crash through all social barriers.
I saw an 8week old puppy being cuddled by a grumpy looking old chap when we stopped at the motorway services on Friday. I rushed over (obviously) to say hello and he wasn’t grumpy at all. He was proud as punch of his little pup he had just collected from the breeder and was taking him home.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's so funny, and so true.
We live next to a public footpath and I make make point of getting to know all the local dogs... can't remember who any of the owners are, but know each dog!

Same here! I know all the dogs and their names but haven’t got a clue about their owners. I’ve often had to think on my feet when chatting politely to an owner and petting their dog, and the owner will say ‘yes I told you that last week’ or something similar.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks like this is all of us!

upload_2022-2-3_13-52-2.png

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This has not been a fruitfull day.

First, there was no confirmation letter in the post from Raigmore. I'd already booked the travel since time was short. So I phoned and eventually got hold of the surgeon's secretary who told me "No, you're not on the list for 10th. I believe he wants to consult your GP." It looks as though something cropped up in the pre-op assessment to stop me having the general anaesthetic he wanted to use. He did say that, if he couldn't use a general anaesthetic, he wouldn't do the surgery, but just keep an eye on it. So I guess that is what is happening. The secretary said he was on the phone but she would ask for more information and get back to me. She didn't! (Get back to me, that is.) I've waited, avoiding making other phone calls so that I didn't miss her call. It's 5.30 pm now, so I daresay she's gone home so no point waiting any longer. Frustrating!

I thought I'd have another go at getting Copy Me That onto my laptop. But after another half hour struggle I've given up again. I'm registered with them with both of my e-mail addresses now, and they do e-mail me, but I just can't get into it. Also frustrating!

And it's cold and there's a blizzard outside. The news about increasing electricity charges is concerning. I already keep the thermostat turned down in the house so as not to waste oil - that keeps oil costs down to about £1200 a year. Electricity costs me £1400 a year. Can't quite believe that it will be doubled, although some reporters are saying so. Will probably have to stop using the little convector heater in the kitchen if that is the case (she says, sitting at this desk with a big fleece hoodie on and heater turned off).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just noticed that the Copy Me That logo has appeared on my menu bar so I clicked on it to see what would happen. Actually, nothing. There was a message saying it would save the link but no recipe was selected. Fair enough. but now I don't know how to go about using it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just noticed that the Copy Me That logo has appeared on my menu bar so I clicked on it to see what would happen. Actually, nothing. There was a message saying it would save the link but no recipe was selected. Fair enough. but now I don't know how to go about using it.

What happens if you click this link? Does it take you to the website? https://www.copymethat.com/recipes/

If you click the logo in the menu bar you should have a recipe on the screen, otherwise there's no recipe to copy.
After clicking it, it should say "We've copied you that" and offer a link to view the recipe.

Have a try with this post on your screen:

ingredients:
- onions
- curry powder
- garlic (optional)
- tablespoon of flour
- stock cube
- knob of butter
- green herbs, fresh or dried, black pepper
- grated cheese

steps:
- Chop and fry onions (enough to fill about 1/3 of your pot) in butter until they become a bit soft.
- Add garlic.
- Add flour and curry powder and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add enough water to make a sturdy soup.
- Add stock cube, herbs and black pepper.
- Leave to simmer for at least 20 minutes, will taste even better the next day.

- Serve with a generous amount of grated cheese.

You now not only have a clear recipe to test your Copy me That, but also the recipe for my father's world famous onion soup!
It's very filling, very tasty, very cheap, reasonably low carb and perfect for not having done groceries, as onions and cheese are likely still around in your house.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What happens if you click this link? Does it take you to the website? https://www.copymethat.com/recipes/

If you click the logo in the menu bar you should have a recipe on the screen, otherwise there's no recipe to copy.
After clicking it, it should say "We've copied you that" and offer a link to view the recipe.

Have a try with this post on your screen:

ingredients:
- onions
- curry powder
- garlic (optional)
- tablespoon of flour
- stock cube
- knob of butter
- green herbs, fresh or dried, black pepper
- grated cheese

steps:
- Chop and fry onions (enough to fill about 1/3 of your pot) in butter until they become a bit soft.
- Add garlic.
- Add flour and curry powder and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add enough water to make a sturdy soup.
- Add stock cube, herbs and black pepper.
- Leave to simmer for at least 20 minutes, will taste even better the next day.

- Serve with a generous amount of grated cheese.

You now not only have a clear recipe to test your Copy me That, but also the recipe for my father's world famous onion soup!
It's very filling, very tasty, very cheap, reasonably low carb and perfect for not having done groceries, as onions and cheese are likely still around in your house.

Thanks for trying Antje, but it must just be me and technology. I'm more confused than ever. But then, I have 2 mobile phones (not i-phones), neither of which I can make work. One problem is I can't hear what instructions are being given, I can't see any text on the screen and in any case, I can't understand even when instructions are big enough to read. Having the same problem with linking to the Health Centre website for test result etc and with the My Diabetes My Way site. I have the required bits and pieces of "hardware" but just can't make them work.

In this Neil's no help he despises anything that gives away information on the internet (security risk) so just won't involve himself (it's another one of his asperger things).

At least I now have a copy of your Dad's recipe. Thanks for that.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my usual phone call from the nice lady at the pharmacy I get my stuff from telling me how I own for scripts, and OTC stuff so I could pay over the phone.

She said she had given me one box of five covid RAT kits, as I had said on the order form I did not how many I was allowed on the free PBS. I have one more box of five to go in this three month period.

RS80ceo.jpg

There are lot of signs like this one at pharmacies here at present.

Before I get into trouble RAT stands for Rapid Antigen Test,

4378e669ecd356b01ebfd0164ea5ee35ba51d443-16x9-x0y789w2048h1152.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb , I noticed this post of you on another thread.
Perhaps I should have added that I take lots and lots of insulin to gain even the control that I have, which isn't good. I take: 52u Tresiba as a basal dose and 60u Humalog before any meal, whether including carbs or not. I can't take any more insulin, even though it only seems to work after a fashion. If I don't eat at all my BG usually jumps to between 16 and 20. When that happens I use my 60u Humalog as a correction dose, which will usually bring it back down to around 10-12.
To me, this looks like your basal dose is too low and you're compensating with your Humalog. This might be worth talking to your consultant/diabetic nurse/whoever-does-the-diabetes-thing-with-you about.
Going up without eating (not counting dawn phenomenon or Foot on the floor) usually means the basal dose is too low. The amount of bolus you need compared with your bolus, even on low carb meals suggests the same.

I know we can't compare doses, but taking only 52 units of Tresiba while needing 60 units of Humalog multiple times a day doesn't seem right, especially because you are by no means eating massive amounts of carbs.
Do you ever go low when not having taken your humalog in the past 4 or 5 hours?

It isn't very usual to take more than twice the amount of bolus insulin than basal, although if that is what works, it works. However, you seem to be going high in absence of your bolus insulin, and the basal is meant to keep you level in the absence of food.
I really think you should have a talk about adjusting your basal, based on your post. It might make things much more stable and less random.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb , I noticed this post of you on another thread.

To me, this looks like your basal dose is too low and you're compensating with your Humalog. This might be worth talking to your consultant/diabetic nurse/whoever-does-the-diabetes-thing-with-you about.
Going up without eating (not counting dawn phenomenon or Foot on the floor) usually means the basal dose is too low. The amount of bolus you need compared with your bolus, even on low carb meals suggests the same.

I know we can't compare doses, but taking only 52 units of Tresiba while needing 60 units of Humalog multiple times a day doesn't seem right, especially because you are by no means eating massive amounts of carbs.
Do you ever go low when not having taken your humalog in the past 4 or 5 hours?

It isn't very usual to take more than twice the amount of bolus insulin than basal, although if that is what works, it works. However, you seem to be going high in absence of your bolus insulin, and the basal is meant to keep you level in the absence of food.
I really think you should have a talk about adjusting your basal, based on your post. It might make things much more stable and less random.

I totally agree with you on that. The Tresiba (basal) is a relatively new insulin to me (about 2 months) and the diabetes nurse asked me to start off at 50u and at a recent phone consultation told me to put it up to 52, but no more. I'm pretty sure it needs to go higher but I was put onto this one because I was taking huge doses of Lantus Solostar. It wasn't any better controlled then.

No, I don't go low when not taking Humalog - without the Humalog it's high. Today, I had Humalog before brunch and then no food or drink for about 6 hours. Then BG dropped to 3.9 by 7.30 pm. Had a piece of liquorice to stop the drop before eating again. Then had usual dose of Humalog and my bubble and squeak. BG just now 7.1.

To be honest, I still don't understand this diabetes thing. The theory is fine but the practice is something else altogether. I mean - despite apparently being awash with insulin, both my own and injected, my B G goes very high for hours without food and then plummets. Insulin keeps it a bit more stable than that - usually in the low teens (high teens if I have something carby). Is this due to what they call "metabolic disorder"? I've heard that bandied around without anyone saying that that definitely is what I have.

Is a puzzlement!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your long answer, @Annb .
I'm puzzled by the instruction to not go higher than 52 units, it just doesn't make sense, especially in light of your mealtime doses.
I'll do a longer reply tomorrow, I'm pretty sure your management can still be improved a lot.