"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m interested in your fermentation projects @shelley262 I hope both work well. I only ‘cook’ The IP yoghurt for 8.5 hrs as I find it gets a bit too tart for my taste the longer it’s on, but from what you’ve said I guess it could be the different bacteria fermenting at different rates. I just use a dollop of Yeo valley as a starter. I also strain through muslin to remove the lactose containing whey and make it like Greek yoghurt. (I freeze the whey in ice cube trays and give one to Dennis now and then - he loves them, I bet Cooper would too)
I’m trying to follow Tim Spector’s recommendation about eating 30 different plants a week to improve gut microbiome diversity. It sounded daunting to begin with but as herbs&spices, coffee, tea and dark chocolate are included, it’s turning out to be easier than I thought and it’s making me be more adventurous. If I’m not careful I stick to the same known meals for ease.
Interesting re the Tim Specor 30 different plants as you say its relief to find out herbs and spices included as I use so many of them.
Dr William Davis is slightly different as he says part of the issue is that certain bacteria we need are no longer in the gut and need to be deliberatley re introduced specific ones like the Lactobacillus Reuteri is never in any commerical yoghurt or food as it is killed off by heat and needs human body temperature. It seems that all of us - as a human - did have it naturally at birth/via breast milk but these days often even the mums dont have it to pass it on as it is wiped out by anitbiotics, modern diet and sugars and an inbalance of bad bacteria take over and kill off the other stuff. If you are intersted take a look at the You Tube talk with the Fat Emperor
William Davis MD on "SuperGut" - how to Optimize your Health and Resilience! - YouTube
That intrigued me so I bought his new book
super gut Dr William Davis
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Gut-Four-Week-Reprogram-Microbiome/dp/1399701819/ref=sr_1_1?crid=376P5YWDYF83X&keywords=super+gut+william+davis&qid=1644312043&s=books&sprefix=super+gut,stripbooks,61&sr=1-1
It is a challenge to take it all in as lots of information but Im working on it. If you do decide to go ahead on the repopulation of gut bacteria give me a shout and I can let you know where to source the right live bacteria - as the book is American so I had to do some UK research to find them. I am trialing my batch of Reuteri at the moment and will see if it works before recommend as some gut bacteria you buy are not always at their best! Once you have got going though you can use the batch of yoghurt to keep the mix of bacteria you want going in future yoghurts. Trouble with using current commercial yoghurts is that they dont h ave a wide range of bacteria He does have a reciepe using a kefir as that has a broader range of live bacteria but again I gahter you use an initial one and then you can make your own!! I now have an image of my fridge being full of different types of yoghurt and kefir!!!

EDIT @DJC3 just read about your tooth issues on the other thread and wanted to send some hugs to you - I have a lot of empathy for you, so many tooth issues. My implant is really settling down and to be honest I don't feel it at all its like having a proper tooth BUT the price and the proceedure is so eyewatering.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb have you discovered yet what is going on regarding your operation (or "not" operation)?
My SIL, who as you know has been cancelled many times time, finally got in for 7.30am this morning. Fingers crossed they actually do the operation today. It's been a long haul for her and such a shame that she'll have to go through it all over again at some point due to it becoming more complicated.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb have you discovered yet what is going on regarding your operation (or "not" operation)?
My SIL, who as you know has been cancelled many times time, finally got in for 7.30am this morning. Fingers crossed they actually do the operation today. It's been a long haul for her and such a shame that she'll have to go through it all over again at some point due to it becoming more complicated.

I have my fingers crossed for you SIL's procedure to go ahead today as well. Surely they won't cancel again.

I managed to speak to a GP today. Raigmore hasn't told them what's going on either and the results of the pre-op go directly to Raigmore. However, blood test results did go onto my record so she can get at least an idea of what might be the issue.

Unfortunately (but unsurprisingly) my HBa1c is up from 50 to 78. My Levothyroxine tablets are not sufficient, so the dose has to go up from 75mcgm to 100mcgm. I am marginally anaemic and haemoglobin is low. All of these, plus lack of sleep, she thinks are causing my breathlessness. She wants me to take Co-codamol before bed to see if that will help me to sleep (not keen on that, but I'll give it a try), increase intake of red meat (especially liver), fats and red and green veg. Keep taking milk in my tea. Stop taking Simvastatin. And wait for Raigmore to get in touch.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my fingers crossed for you SIL's procedure to go ahead today as well. Surely they won't cancel again.

I managed to speak to a GP today. Raigmore hasn't told them what's going on either and the results of the pre-op go directly to Raigmore. However, blood test results did go onto my record so she can get at least an idea of what might be the issue.

Unfortunately (but unsurprisingly) my HBa1c is up from 50 to 78. My Levothyroxine tablets are not sufficient, so the dose has to go up from 75mcgm to 100mcgm. I am marginally anaemic and haemoglobin is low. All of these, plus lack of sleep, she thinks are causing my breathlessness. She wants me to take Co-codamol before bed to see if that will help me to sleep (not keen on that, but I'll give it a try), increase intake of red meat (especially liver), fats and red and green veg. Keep taking milk in my tea. Stop taking Simvastatin. And wait for Raigmore to get in touch.

Of course, it may be the Western Isles hospital that is being dilatory and, in my mind, Raigmore getting the blame.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - she's still there so surely it's going ahead or has gone ahead! We've set up a WhatsApp group as you have to nominate one person to call in. Would you believe you are not permitted to ask if the operation is finished? There are also set times before which you are not allowed to phone at all. The Ward she was going into the rule is no calls before 6pm. You would have thought that would lead to a rush of calls?
At least she doesn't have your issues with travel. I hope you didn't like your ferry costs.
She was certainly getting fed up with multiple pre ops and, of course, lately, PCR tests.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - she's still there so surely it's going ahead or has gone ahead! We've set up a WhatsApp group as you have to nominate one person to call in. Would you believe you are not permitted to ask if the operation is finished? There are also set times before which you are not allowed to phone at all. The Ward she was going into the rule is no calls before 6pm. You would have thought that would lead to a rush of calls?
At least she doesn't have your issues with travel. I hope you didn't like your ferry costs.
She was certainly getting fed up with multiple pre ops and, of course, lately, PCR tests.

One good thing about travel to Raigmore is that the Health Board covers the cost. I called them to cancel the ferry, so they didn't have to take the loss either.

That rule about not phoning before 6 pm sounds a bit odd. If it's to save staff time answering the phone, surely getting all calls to come in after 6 pm means someone will be tied up for ages at that time. Maybe 6 pm is the beginning of their quiet time so they can afford to do it that way. Stressful for families though.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One good thing about travel to Raigmore is that the Health Board covers the cost. I called them to cancel the ferry, so they didn't have to take the loss either.

That rule about not phoning before 6 pm sounds a bit odd. If it's to save staff time answering the phone, surely getting all calls to come in after 6 pm means someone will be tied up for ages at that time. Maybe 6 pm is the beginning of their quiet time so they can afford to do it that way. Stressful for families though.
Glad to say finally!! the operation happened. She didn't get into the ward until 5pm (no bed) but she's in and settled now. Feeling a bit nauseous so she really doesn't want food. Rather croaky and groggy (not surprisingly) and sore (again not surprisingly). I suggested getting a drink of water, pain relief and sleep! She's not a good morning person so, with a looming 6 30am awakening she'd better grab sleep now. At least it went to plan even if she does gave to return for a second op.

Reactions: shelley262

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It can sometime be an ingredient in hoof oil ... where did I dredge that bit of memory up from, its over 40 years since I last had anything to do with horses?

I will continue to have a few cloves in my tea sometimes

Eugenol is clove oil, so you might find it under that name.

If you draw a blank in the supermarket, the pharmacy could be a decent bet.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m interested in your fermentation projects @shelley262 I hope both work well. I only ‘cook’ The IP yoghurt for 8.5 hrs as I find it gets a bit too tart for my taste the longer it’s on, but from what you’ve said I guess it could be the different bacteria fermenting at different rates. I just use a dollop of Yeo valley as a starter. I also strain through muslin to remove the lactose containing whey and make it like Greek yoghurt. (I freeze the whey in ice cube trays and give one to Dennis now and then - he loves them, I bet Cooper would too)
I’m trying to follow Tim Spector’s recommendation about eating 30 different plants a week to improve gut microbiome diversity. It sounded daunting to begin with but as herbs&spices, coffee, tea and dark chocolate are included, it’s turning out to be easier than I thought and it’s making me be more adventurous. If I’m not careful I stick to the same known meals for ease.

8.5hours? Pah! I started at 12 and now at 16. I don't find it tart at all.

I use a combo of semi-skimmed and full milk (1ltr of each), a dollop of Yeo or the most recent batch, plus a couple of spoonfuls of whole milk powder and mix well. Turn on and go do something else - usually including sleeping - for the predetermined time. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8.5hours? Pah! I started at 12 and now at 16. I don't find it tart at all.

I use a combo of semi-skimmed and full milk (1ltr of each), a dollop of Yeo or the most recent batch, plus a couple of spoonfuls of whole milk powder and mix well. Turn on and go do something else - usually including sleeping - for the predetermined time. :)

Do you notice any difference in taste of thickness leaving it so long ? ( tbh I’m not sure I could wait 16hr even if half of it is sleeping!)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you notice any difference in taste of thickness leaving it so long ? ( tbh I’m not sure I could wait 16hr even if half of it is sleeping!)

I would say not taste difference, but I think it's thicker.

To be honest, I usually start it off late afternoon/early evening, so 4pm - 8am isn't a great task.

I use a glass lid from a saute pan that fits perfectly, but put a (clean, obvs) tea towel under it to prevent condensation dripping back onto the yoghurt. It's amazing how much moisture it tends to absorb.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting re the Tim Specor 30 different plants as you say its relief to find out herbs and spices included as I use so many of them.
Dr William Davis is slightly different as he says part of the issue is that certain bacteria we need are no longer in the gut and need to be deliberatley re introduced specific ones like the Lactobacillus Reuteri is never in any commerical yoghurt or food as it is killed off by heat and needs human body temperature. It seems that all of us - as a human - did have it naturally at birth/via breast milk but these days often even the mums dont have it to pass it on as it is wiped out by anitbiotics, modern diet and sugars and an inbalance of bad bacteria take over and kill off the other stuff. If you are intersted take a look at the You Tube talk with the Fat Emperor
William Davis MD on "SuperGut" - how to Optimize your Health and Resilience! - YouTube
That intrigued me so I bought his new book
super gut Dr William Davis
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Gut-Four-Week-Reprogram-Microbiome/dp/1399701819/ref=sr_1_1?crid=376P5YWDYF83X&keywords=super+gut+william+davis&qid=1644312043&s=books&sprefix=super+gut,stripbooks,61&sr=1-1
It is a challenge to take it all in as lots of information but Im working on it. If you do decide to go ahead on the repopulation of gut bacteria give me a shout and I can let you know where to source the right live bacteria - as the book is American so I had to do some UK research to find them. I am trialing my batch of Reuteri at the moment and will see if it works before recommend as some gut bacteria you buy are not always at their best! Once you have got going though you can use the batch of yoghurt to keep the mix of bacteria you want going in future yoghurts. Trouble with using current commercial yoghurts is that they dont h ave a wide range of bacteria He does have a reciepe using a kefir as that has a broader range of live bacteria but again I gahter you use an initial one and then you can make your own!! I now have an image of my fridge being full of different types of yoghurt and kefir!!!

EDIT @DJC3 just read about your tooth issues on the other thread and wanted to send some hugs to you - I have a lot of empathy for you, so many tooth issues. My implant is really settling down and to be honest I don't feel it at all its like having a proper tooth BUT the price and the proceedure is so eyewatering.

Thanks for the tooth empathy. Dentist tomorrow so another massive bill. He must rub his hands with glee when he sees me!
Thanks also for the Fat Emperor link. I’ll definitely watch, I like Ivor Cummings.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tooth empathy. Dentist tomorrow so another massive bill. He must rub his hands with glee when he sees me!
Thanks also for the Fat Emperor link. I’ll definitely watch, I like Ivor Cummings.
Let me know what you think. I ended up watching/listening twice to really start to understand the complex bits but was motivated to try it out hence got his book to help me to put it into practice. I plan making fermented roasted peppers on Thursday from his book using some of whey from tomorrow’s yoghurt which I will strain. Peppers are 72 hours and will put to ferment at a low temperature into a hot water yoghurt maker that I spotted new and for sale for three pounds in a charity shop today - so can put on one side for the three days and nights. You then add white wine vinegar and put in fridge to use up over a 4 week period. Plan are also afoot for cream cheese! I’m probably falling down another rabbit hole but enjoying my fall and stops you thinking of other intractable stuff!

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
She wants me to take Co-codamol before bed to see if that will help me to sleep (not keen on that, but I'll give it a try),

Well, I tried it last night. Got to sleep about 1.30 but woke up again at 2.10. Stiff, sore and breathless. So, here we are, 3 am and I'm sitting at my desk, checking to see if anyone is up and about here. Of course not - I'm the only one daft enough for that.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let me know what you think. I ended up watching/listening twice to really start to understand the complex bits but was motivated to try it out hence got his book to help me to put it into practice. I plan making fermented roasted peppers on Thursday from his book using some of whey from tomorrow’s yoghurt which I will strain. Peppers are 72 hours and will put to ferment at a low temperature into a hot water yoghurt maker that I spotted new and for sale for three pounds in a charity shop today - so can put on one side for the three days and nights. You then add white wine vinegar and put in fridge to use up over a 4 week period. Plan are also afoot for cream cheese! I’m probably falling down another rabbit hole but enjoying my fall and stops you thinking of other intractable stuff!

I listened to half of it last night, I’ll continue tonight- definitely food for thought and I’m glad there’s so much work being done on it now. I know exactly what you mean about going down a rabbit hole but I think there are worse rabbit holes. And you’re right, it does distract the mind from other issues which are hard to switch off from, especially with your caring responsibilities which are all encompassing. I’m watching this space!

Edit to add- great charity shop find!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eugenol is clove oil, so you might find it under that name.

If you draw a blank in the supermarket, the pharmacy could be a decent bet.

Oh yes, my mum used to have oil of cloves in our first aid kit, it was used for toothache. I can’t remember if it was effective, I didn’t like overpowering taste but it is known to be antiseptic so I guess that’s why it was used.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just back from town and an appointment with a solicitor. I am looking for a way to protect the roofs over the heads of my family should I have to go into a care home at some stage. The thing is, I own both houses. One is a croft and house, the other is a feu and house. In my will I have left the croft and house to Neil and the feu and house to Alistair. But if I should have to go into a care home, both the properties would be forfeit and that rather destroys the idea of protecting my boys. So, I thought, if I transfer the ownership to both boys now, and hope for 7 years to pass before I need any care from the local authority, that should protect them. I didn't think it really mattered about the croft because the regulations surrounding crofts are different and they can't be used as collateral in financial transactions.

The local authority is welcome to all my combined pensions, which possibly wouldn't cover all the costs but a fair amount, but I hoped to retain the houses for the family. However, the solicitor tells me that local authorities make their own rules and this local authority can and does pursue claims for as far back as they want - there is no 7 year rule. They also can, and do, claim even croft land with or without houses. He has known this local authority claim property which was transferred 20 years before. Even selling the property at a favourable value to a family member can be overturned.

It appears that the only way I can keep a roof over the heads of my sons is to do the decent thing, like DIL's grandmother, and pop my clogs before, or shortly after being taken to a care home. Or just not get so frail that, between them, the family can't take care of me.

Feeling a bit on the frail side today after another bad night and using non-existant energy to get to the solicitor's office. Still, it was a valuable and informative meeting and I did, at the same time, start the process of giving my Power of Attorney to the boys. So, something good has come of it.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from town and an appointment with a solicitor. I am looking for a way to protect the roofs over the heads of my family should I have to go into a care home at some stage. The thing is, I own both houses. One is a croft and house, the other is a feu and house. In my will I have left the croft and house to Neil and the feu and house to Alistair. But if I should have to go into a care home, both the properties would be forfeit and that rather destroys the idea of protecting my boys. So, I thought, if I transfer the ownership to both boys now, and hope for 7 years to pass before I need any care from the local authority, that should protect them. I didn't think it really mattered about the croft because the regulations surrounding crofts are different and they can't be used as collateral in financial transactions.

The local authority is welcome to all my combined pensions, which possibly wouldn't cover all the costs but a fair amount, but I hoped to retain the houses for the family. However, the solicitor tells me that local authorities make their own rules and this local authority can and does pursue claims for as far back as they want - there is no 7 year rule. They also can, and do, claim even croft land with or without houses. He has known this local authority claim property which was transferred 20 years before. Even selling the property at a favourable value to a family member can be overturned.

It appears that the only way I can keep a roof over the heads of my sons is to do the decent thing, like DIL's grandmother, and pop my clogs before, or shortly after being taken to a care home. Or just not get so frail that, between them, the family can't take care of me.

Feeling a bit on the frail side today after another bad night and using non-existant energy to get to the solicitor's office. Still, it was a valuable and informative meeting and I did, at the same time, start the process of giving my Power of Attorney to the boys. So, something good has come of it.
Thinking of you such a difficult situation family are so important and can imagine you feel that a weight would be off your shoulders if you could guarantee that your chaps would be looked after. A tough issue but pleased you have sought legal advice and we are all hoping you’ll stay as fit as possible for as long as possible,

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I listened to half of it last night, I’ll continue tonight- definitely food for thought and I’m glad there’s so much work being done on it now. I know exactly what you mean about going down a rabbit hole but I think there are worse rabbit holes. And you’re right, it does distract the mind from other issues which are hard to switch off from, especially with your caring responsibilities which are all encompassing. I’m watching this space!

Edit to add- great charity shop find!
Well my first batch of yoghurt worked - yay and just used some of the whey, as strained for Greek yoghurt, to start out the next batch which will be a super powered mixed probiotic one if works. Trying another commercial probiotic that Dr Davis recommended as has a range of the missing bacteria but also used some of the whey from the reuteri yoghurt from today hence super powered......
Tomorrow looking bit busy so my first veg ferment may be delayed till Friday! Hope you enjoy 2nd part of the fat emperor episode

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking of you such a difficult situation family are so important and can imagine you feel that a weight would be off your shoulders if you could guarantee that your chaps would be looked after. A tough issue but pleased you have sought legal advice and we are all hoping you’ll stay as fit as possible for as long as possible,

At least making a start on the Power of Attorney gives me a little satisfaction. When my husband began to be affected by his Parkinsonism, a doctor suggested that we should look into making a Power of Attorney, just in case it should ever be needed. At that stage, although relatively immobile, he was very much "compos mentis" but within a few, short weeks, he was not and the management of his health and welfare fell to myself and Neil. This is why, despite only suffering some short term memory loss, I don't want to leave it too late.

It will also mean that either of them can draw cash for me from the bank, or ATM without us having to mess about transferring funds from my account to one of theirs. Oh what a wonderful thing it is to grow old (better if it didn't have all the issues that go with it). I used to think I was immortal but I know differently now. At least my head does, but somewhere inside me I still feel like about 20 and expect to stay at that age forever.

Reactions: Antje77