OGTT in 3 year old

svendenhowser

Hi everyone! My daughter has had mildly abnormal blood sugars for over 6 months, initially they thought she was early type 1, but now that she’s not deteriorating at all, totally asymptomatic and negative for antibodies they are thinking she might have MODY. To have genetic testing done she needs to have an OGTT and drink that awful drink. Anyone have any tips on getting a 3 year old to drink it? Obviously can’t bribe with food! I’ve thought of toys but I’m not sure they’ll enough of a motivator. Why can’t they make them eat a bunch of jellybeans!?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked with someone who knows what she'll be given? People who deal with people in the 2 - 4 year old range in medical settings know very well that things need to be modified for them. Anyone with a grain of common sense will know that getting a 3 year old to comply with something like that is a fool's game if the child doesn't want to co-operate.

(Former NHS professional here, well versed in 'getting the little one to play the game I want to play')

svendenhowser

Have you checked with someone who knows what she'll be given? People who deal with people in the 2 - 4 year old range in medical settings know very well that things need to be modified for them. Anyone with a grain of common sense will know that getting a 3 year old to comply with something like that is a fool's game if the child doesn't want to co-operate.

(Former NHS professional here, well versed in 'getting the little one to play the game I want to play')

Yes, I’ve been told by the endocrinologist it will be the usual glucose drink, but I haven’t been in contact with the hospital directly to see if there are other options. He said it would be a day procedure in hospital rather than at a local private lab (like I would have in say pregnancy), possibly because of her age?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Holding the nose while drinking helped me with a charcoal emetic.

Would a dash of lemon juice or lime help? peppermint essence? So long as it is not csrb heavy it should not interfere with the OGTT.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I’ve been told by the endocrinologist it will be the usual glucose drink, but I haven’t been in contact with the hospital directly to see if there are other options. He said it would be a day procedure in hospital rather than at a local private lab (like I would have in say pregnancy), possibly because of her age?

I've only just seen this answer.

I hope you've managed to either get things done, or get some sense out of someone, at this point.

Having it as a day procedure sounds at least like they're aware there might be issues (3 year old in a strange setting, of course there will be 'issues'!)

Wishing you good thoughts and simple days