1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

OGTT in 3 year old

Discussion in 'Parents' started by svendenhowser, Feb 7, 2022.

1. svendenhowser

svendenhowser · Member

Hi everyone! My daughter has had mildly abnormal blood sugars for over 6 months, initially they thought she was early type 1, but now that she’s not deteriorating at all, totally asymptomatic and negative for antibodies they are thinking she might have MODY. To have genetic testing done she needs to have an OGTT and drink that awful drink. Anyone have any tips on getting a 3 year old to drink it? Obviously can’t bribe with food! I’ve thought of toys but I’m not sure they’ll enough of a motivator. Why can’t they make them eat a bunch of jellybeans!?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Widgets

Widgets Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Have you checked with someone who knows what she'll be given? People who deal with people in the 2 - 4 year old range in medical settings know very well that things need to be modified for them. Anyone with a grain of common sense will know that getting a 3 year old to comply with something like that is a fool's game if the child doesn't want to co-operate.

(Former NHS professional here, well versed in 'getting the little one to play the game I want to play')

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. svendenhowser

svendenhowser · Member

Yes, I’ve been told by the endocrinologist it will be the usual glucose drink, but I haven’t been in contact with the hospital directly to see if there are other options. He said it would be a day procedure in hospital rather than at a local private lab (like I would have in say pregnancy), possibly because of her age?

4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Holding the nose while drinking helped me with a charcoal emetic.

Would a dash of lemon juice or lime help? peppermint essence? So long as it is not csrb heavy it should not interfere with the OGTT.

5. Widgets

Widgets Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I've only just seen this answer.

I hope you've managed to either get things done, or get some sense out of someone, at this point.

Having it as a day procedure sounds at least like they're aware there might be issues (3 year old in a strange setting, of course there will be 'issues'!)

Wishing you good thoughts and simple days

6. Harys1990

Harys1990 Other · Member

In general, people who have had gestational diabetes are at higher risk of developing diabetes later in life.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook