Advice please for low carb diet

Daphne3004

I have had type 2 diabetes since 2006 and it has been controlled by medication. Although I was never obese, I carried extra weight for some years. My Hb1ac has been gradually rising and the medication has been increased to cope. However despite activity and weight loss down to a healthy 65kg, it reached 57 in November. A chance remark by a health professional set me on a low carb diet and by trying to stay between 50g and 70g per day I managed to get my levels down to 47. My weight also dropped to 60kg. Now I’m trying to maintain or reduce my Hb1ac level with decreased medication, but I am still losing weight and starting to look the worse for it. I am 67 years old and my aim is to get to pre diabetes levels. Could someone suggest how to get sufficient calories to maintain weight while still keeping carbs low? Sorryfor the long message

M

Member496333

Hi. You could try adding some low carbohydrate nuts such as pecan, brazil or macadamia. Extremely energy dense and should have minimal impact on glucose.

Daphne3004

Hi. You could try adding some low carbohydrate nuts such as pecan, brazil or macadamia. Extremely energy dense and should have minimal impact on glucose.

Thanks Jim, I sometimes prowl the we kitchen late at night, eating teaspoons of peanut butter. I’ll try what you suggest

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a skinny type 2 and need to keep my weight up I eat low carb and higher fat .Full fat yoghurt with double cream and berries ,butter on my vegetables ,cheese ,avocados, nuts as a snack or with salad
Carol

Daphne3004

I am a skinny type 2 and need to keep my weight up I eat low carb and higher fat .Full fat yoghurt with double cream and berries ,butter on my vegetables ,cheese ,avocados, nuts as a snack or with salad
Carol

Thanks Carol, I’ll add butter and more cheese!

M

Member496333

You can also add more protein, of course, but some people find that this comes with compromises to their glucose regulation, particularly in the mornings.

Daphne3004

You can also add more protein, of course, but some people find that this comes with compromises to their glucose regulation, particularly in the mornings.

Ah I wasn’t aware of that as a problem Jim! I am reluctant to add too many fats or proteins because of risks to cholesterol, but without carbs, even slow release, it doesn’t leave a lot. Certainly I’m eating more meat and more cheese than I have for a long time.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have issues keeping the weight off if I eat dairy, especially cream, nuts and very dark (85%+) chocolate so any of those should help with you maintaining or adding weight without negativity affecting your blood sugars.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd also suggest adding more water. The scrawny look can come from a lack of hydration in the skin.

Reactions: Andydragon
M

Member496333

Ah I wasn’t aware of that as a problem Jim!

It may not necessarily be a problem. Seems to be very individual as to who's affected and who isn't. Just something to be aware of and consider investigating if you're ever suspicious. Protein is obviously not even in the same league as carbohydrate in terms of glucose impact but it's not always the free lunch that some may think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daphne3004

I have had type 2 diabetes since 2006 and it has been controlled by medication. Although I was never obese, I carried extra weight for some years. My Hb1ac has been gradually rising and the medication has been increased to cope. However despite activity and weight loss down to a healthy 65kg, it reached 57 in November. A chance remark by a health professional set me on a low carb diet and by trying to stay between 50g and 70g per day I managed to get my levels down to 47. My weight also dropped to 60kg. Now I’m trying to maintain or reduce my Hb1ac level with decreased medication, but I am still losing weight and starting to look the worse for it. I am 67 years old and my aim is to get to pre diabetes levels. Could someone suggest how to get sufficient calories to maintain weight while still keeping carbs low? Sorryfor the long message

Thank you all for your suggestions!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wanted to say well done on working on putting your diabetes in a downwards direction also particularly impressive as you have been diagnosed so long and you were managing with medication shows what an impact what we eat can have on us all as individuals. I lost a lot of weight initially but interestingly once on relatively normal blood glucose levels I stabilised and now nearly 5 years into maintenance of both bgs and weight - like @Goonergal can easily up it by eating too many nuts, cheese or 90% chocolate! So just add in some low carb extras that do not put up your bgs. Well done you are headed firmly in the right direction and do remember too as @MrsA2 says to stay well hydrated.

Reactions: Megnala

Daphne3004

I just wanted to say well done on working on putting your diabetes in a downwards direction also particularly impressive as you have been diagnosed so long and you were managing with medication shows what an impact what we eat can have on us all as individuals. I lost a lot of weight initially but interestingly once on relatively normal blood glucose levels I stabilised and now nearly 5 years into maintenance of both bgs and weight - like @Goonergal can easily up it by eating too many nuts, cheese or 90% chocolate! So just add in some low carb extras that do not put up your bgs. Well done you are headed firmly in the right direction and do remember too as @MrsA2 says to stay well hydrated.

Thank you, that’s such a lovely encouraging message. I think I just got to the point where I realised that I needed to take a bit of control back. I discussed my results with the diabetic nurse at my local surgery and she agreed that I could reduce some of my medication, so at the moment I’m working towards maintaining or reducing my Hb1ac with fewer tablets. I can certainly do up to April, but I’ll then have to find a long term low carb diet that’s sustainable- I miss potatoes! I’ve found the advice here both helpful and reassuring, so am really pleased I took the leap and signed up to the community.

M

Member496333

@Daphne3004 I used to make my own zero sugar chocolate from raw cocoa solids. Enough energy in that stuff to turn Rodney Trotter obese overnight. I simply melted cacao butter and cocoa powder together, poured it into moulds and let it set in the fridge. You can adjust the strength of the chocolate by adjusting the ratio of cocoa to butter. It will still be very strong chocolate but it will most assuredly help you gain weight if you so wish while having minimal glucose effect. You can also buy Montezuma Absolute Black 100%. Same kind of deal but more expensive and may taste like coal to some palates.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, that’s such a lovely encouraging message. I think I just got to the point where I realised that I needed to take a bit of control back. I discussed my results with the diabetic nurse at my local surgery and she agreed that I could reduce some of my medication, so at the moment I’m working towards maintaining or reducing my Hb1ac with fewer tablets. I can certainly do up to April, but I’ll then have to find a long term low carb diet that’s sustainable- I miss potatoes! I’ve found the advice here both helpful and reassuring, so am really pleased I took the leap and signed up to the community.
Well you asked right person about potatoes I was a potato addict! One of nicest replacements for mash is cauliflower mash I just had with meal tonight . I cooked it well then mashed with butter salt and pepper yum! You can also do celeriac or swede or turnip mash you just need to make sure they are well steamed or boiled until really soft as they are more fibrous but very nice too. Chips or roasties can be made with celeriac or swede I love celeriac chips and roast. Dauphinois potatoes can be made with slices of celeriac or swede or turnip just thinly slice its the cream and butter that makes that dish. I always have celeriac ready in my freezer as they are big and difficult to peel. I peel and then slice into shapes I want usually a mix of chips and roasties so I open freeze and then put into a freezer bag when frozen so can just take a few out to cook - I always cook from frozen in fat in oven and they work out well. I had both cauliflower mash and celeriac roasties today and never missed spuds. You just need to experiment and find alternatives that you like you may find you prefer the alternatives I do...

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well you asked right person about potatoes I was a potato addict! One of nicest replacements for mash is cauliflower mash I just had with meal tonight . I cooked it well then mashed with butter salt and pepper yum! You can also do celeriac or swede or turnip mash you just need to make sure they are well steamed or boiled until really soft as they are more fibrous but very nice too. Chips or roasties can be made with celeriac or swede I love celeriac chips and roast. Dauphinois potatoes can be made with slices of celeriac or swede or turnip just thinly slice its the cream and butter that makes that dish. I always have celeriac ready in my freezer as they are big and difficult to peel. I peel and then slice into shapes I want usually a mix of chips and roasties so I open freeze and then put into a freezer bag when frozen so can just take a few out to cook - I always cook from frozen in fat in oven and they work out well. I had both cauliflower mash and celeriac roasties today and never missed spuds. You just need to experiment and find alternatives that you like you may find you prefer the alternatives I do...
These all sound yum! I use a Nigella Lawson. ‘Recipe’ for broccoli mash, which I like even better than cauliflower mash. I use the quotation marks because the instructions are: Boil frozen broccoli until soft, drain, season well, add butter, blend with stick blender. (Can just mash but not as smooth). Fab! I also miss potatoes but I find the occasional two smallish new potatoes hits the spot and hardly affects my blood sugar levels.

Reactions: MaviesDavies2

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
These all sound yum! I use a Nigella Lawson. ‘Recipe’ for broccoli mash, which I like even better than cauliflower mash. I use the quotation marks because the instructions are: Boil frozen broccoli until soft, drain, season well, add butter, blend with stick blender. (Can just mash but not as smooth). Fab! I also miss potatoes but I find the occasional two smallish new potatoes hits the spot and hardly affects my blood sugar levels.
I too have, rarely, a couple of new potatoes but I par boil some ahead - cut into chip shapes and then open freeze - then can just take a few out to cook in oven from frozen. These also for me work for my bgs. Thank you for broccoli mash idea will def give that one a go.

Reactions: Megnala

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find any of the mashes can be vastly improved by stirring in any or all of:
Cream cheese
Cream
Cheese
Butter
Fromage frais
yoghurt
Pepper
Nutmeg
Dried seaweed, looks like pepper, just a pinch (don't knock it until you've tried it)

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Chipping, Parboiling and freezing sounds good. Thanks for suggestion. How long do you cook them for, at what temperature.
(Love nutmeg in cauliflower mash. Will look out for dried seaweed - sounds very umami!)