Vitamin b12

AnnM99

Hi,
I've just checked an update on bloods taken this week and my vitamin B12 has just gone on line as 'abnormal, to be expected, no further action'.
Slightly panicked. I'm on 1000mg of metformin, down from 2000mg 3 months ago. I've had some odd feelings of dizziness recently and a dry mouth and tongue even though BS are 40. Could the two be linked and is that right that my GP doesn't do anything for it.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Reactions: AnnM99

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I had the same problem, supplemented with BetterYou B12 spray which I paid for and levels returned quickly to pre-metformin levels. A GP did check for a specific factor that is needed for B12 to be transported across the gut wall but I did need to keep asking to have my B12 tested annually.

Reactions: AnnM99

AnnM99

Poor b12 adsorption is a common side effect of metformin, I'm guessing that your levels are not low enough to warrant b12 injections, hence the no further action comment. Nothing to stop you from supplementing your self although I believe the injections are moor effective.
https://www.independentnurse.co.uk/...2-deficiency-what-nurses-need-to-know/201880/
My level is 1066ng whatever that means.
I'm taking a multivitin b complex and a vit d tablet so not sure what else can be done.

AnnM99

I had the same problem, supplemented with BetterYou B12 spray which I paid for and levels returned quickly to pre-metformin levels. A GP did check for a specific factor that is needed for B12 to be transported across the gut wall but I did need to keep asking to have my B12 tested annually.
Thank you . Where do I buy that from? I am already taking multivitamin b complex and a vitamin d tablet.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Your levels sound to be abnormally HIGH which is why, I suspect, no action is being taken. A friend who takes a B complex daily has recently had a similar result. She now takes her supplement on alternate days. Please don't take any more B12.

Reactions: jjraak

AnnM99

Your levels sound to be abnormally HIGH which is why, I suspect, no action is being taken. A friend who takes a B complex daily has recently had a similar result. She now takes her supplement on alternate days. Please don't take any more B12.
Thank you for replying. Oh right ..... I understand ..... My level is too high????? It's because of the multivitamin b complex I'm taking? Thank you. I'll stop taking it.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I meant please don't add in a B12 spray as well. I'm not intending to offer medical advice here!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @AnnM99

I gave a hug in the first post, because anything that says abnormal would worry anyone sensible, and the dismissive "no further action"
hardly helps.

Your results are at the high end of normal
It's not exactly clear what high should be as most issues seem to occur due to deficiency

So I'd say your course of action is sensible

If it's too high taking an extra amount in a supplement makes little sense (although I'd imagine in a multivitamin the actual B12 you took in, might me negligible )
So skipping it until you speak to a doctor makes good sense

I never took much note of any blood results pre DX.

A simple everything's fine was enough back then.

Now I prefer to query anything that comes back out of range.

Could be you are very efficient keeping B12,
( I seem to be poorer at it )

It could be the multivitamin is helping push you higher or maybe your diet is full of B12 giving foods...who knows.

Either way, best to speak to your doctor, make sure they are aware and ask them for an explanation & better guidance .

That should put your mind to rest.

Best wishes for Monday
Hope it's resolved quickly
for you.