Target Range

Nesh93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've noticed that even though I have a libre-link and can keep good track, I still spend at least 25% out of my target range.
Does anyone else get frustrated by this?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, according to my dexcom clarity app, I've achieved my goal of 70% in range 71 times in the last 90 days....

I look at it as a work in progress :)

Reactions: Hopeful34

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You may find this article interesting. Aimed at educating UK GPs, but lots of helpful information about how to use TIR.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/dme.14433

That was fascinating, and answers a lot of questions about what I should be aiming for. Thank you so much for sharing.
I thought it was interesting that they wanted less than 4% (1 hour) if time below range, which seems like a lot to me and would probably guarantee I lost hypo awareness if I went low that often. Although I know a lot of cgms have periods when they under read hypos, and I wonder if allowance was made for that? (I suspect not).

And there is no mention of SD (standard deviation, measures how much variation you have in your results, ie peaks and troughs). I would have thought that might be relevant for eye conditions, though I guess if you are in range you have an upper and lower limit anyway.

(Edited for typos)

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgreymare

nicki92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a standard range? When I was diagnosed mine was set to 4-10 -- is that normal? I think I saw someone somewhere saying theirs was 4-8, but I don't know whether that's exceptional or if that's what I should also be aiming for

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The truth is you can set it where you like. Standard is 4-10. But I have mine set from 4-8.5 as it makes me work harder. However I do not panic if it goes higher than 10 as it often does. I think it depends if you can cope with it going out of the set zones. I just see it as one of those things.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've always been told to set my target range to the same as my pump.

D

Deleted member 543160

I assume working to target ranges is most useful for assisting T1s and other insulin users in managing doses?

As a T2 originally on metformin and currently diet controlled I've used target ranges for the times I used my original (uploaded to PC) Libre logs, but I've been able to do something similar for very much longer using my meter's finger prick logs. My Contour Next has a Trends option which I can use for HbA1c predictions, but more useful is that I'm able to set (and adjust) individual target ranges for my fasting, pre, and post meal tests, showing number of results for each that are in, above or below targets over 7. 14, 30 and 90 day periods. and I found this invaluable when originally learning to manage my diet and glucose levels. (The fact that I could modify ranges up or down was a great help initially!)