Question about RH

Micoch

Hello everyone,

i was recently diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia and started my diet low in carbs last week. I'm going to buy a device to test my blood sugar to help me.

I would like to know after how long I could expect to see improvement.

Thank you for your answers

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Micoch and welcome to the forum.
Hello everyone,

i was recently diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia and started my diet low in carbs last week. I'm going to buy a device to test my blood sugar to help me.

I would like to know after how long I could expect to see improvement.

Thank you for your answers

It all depends on the effect of how low carb you go.
As you are already in normal blood sugar levels fasting and Hba1c from fasting when you get up. It's about the intolerance to those carbs you are still eating and how your insulin response copes with the glucose derived from that meal.

Because one of the diagnostic tests is a fasting test, I spent nearly four days without food. What happened to me, was I suddenly realized, first I didn't have to eat four times a day. I could eat what was healthy for me and my symptoms and the hypos disappeared. I became fat adapted and my brain fog lifted, my energy levels increased and I really felt a lot better.
So having learnt what happens to me, because of the insulin overshoot, the lower the carbs intake the less likelihood of going hypo.

What tests have you had?
What has been the dietary advice? Because I avoid carbs totally. I often describe RH as being carb intolerant.

When you get your monitor, I would recommend keeping a food diary. To log your results.

Keep asking, keep safe

Reactions: EllieM and Micoch

Micoch

Thank you for an answer!

I did a two hours glucose tolerance test. After the test my glycemic was 136 mg and my insulin 1301 pmol. So the doctor said i was RH.

The advice for the diet: dont eat white bread, white pasta, white rice, potatoes ans less carbs. I will see a dietetician next month.

In one week, my constipation and diarrhea are gone but my brain fog is still strong.

Yesterday i ate some eggs with ham and i was feeling awful in less than 1 hours, i dont really understand.

How long it take for your brain fog to dissapear ?

Thank you

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for an answer!

I did a two hours glucose tolerance test. After the test my glycemic was 136 mg and my insulin 1301 pmol. So the doctor said i was RH.

The advice for the diet: dont eat white bread, white pasta, white rice, potatoes ans less carbs. I will see a dietetician next month.

In one week, my constipation and diarrhea are gone but my brain fog is still strong.

Yesterday i ate some eggs with ham and i was feeling awful in less than 1 hours, i dont really understand.

How long it take for your brain fog to dissapear ?

Thank you
Hi again, I think if my memory is correct before the fasting test I had already started reducing my carbs and for years I was told by dietician to eat complex healthy carbs.
All my health care gave the same advice. My brain fog lifted between two and three days during the fasting test. And then was directed by my endocrinologist to this site and to learn how to control my blood glucose levels.
The two hours OGTT test isn't long enough despite the results you received.
And realistically, it does seem a bit poorer to doing one test then diagnosis declared. To me that is a short cut, and he is struggling to understand what exactly is happening to you if you are RH.
The high insulin levels from the test could be a number of things such hyperinsulinaemia or insulin resistance. There are many rare hypoglycaemic conditions that are a mystery to most doctors.
If you do have RH, feeling awful after an hour could be glucose dumping. Your first and second insulin response could be happening really quickly. Did you have anything to drink with the meal? However you are still getting used to all this and it does take a while until your body adjusts to a low carb diet. The control of blood glucose levels is the start of a new dietary lifestyle. The aim is to stop the symptoms and feeling awful.
I wouldn't hope for much from the dietician. Once again, they will tell you to have some carbs, but being intolerant to carbs, is more or less the same as an allergy. If RH was termed as a carb allergy, they would look daft recommending carbs.

Keep asking, keep safe

Micoch

I come back with some updates.

I m doing the diet changes for some weeks now.

My transit is so much better :D but i still have brain fog, so my doctor gave me Metformax 850.

I take a half at lunch and another half at diner. It has been two weeks now and i dont feel better at all. Sometimes even worse, im going to contact my doctor again to see if we can do some changes.

Any toughts or advice ? Thank you

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I come back with some updates.

I m doing the diet changes for some weeks now.

My transit is so much better :D but i still have brain fog, so my doctor gave me Metformax 850.

I take a half at lunch and another half at diner. It has been two weeks now and i dont feel better at all. Sometimes even worse, im going to contact my doctor again to see if we can do some changes.

Any toughts or advice ? Thank you
Hi @Micoch ,
I don't know why you were put on the meds or what it was supposed to achieve.
Unless you're still eating too many carbs, the brain fog should be getting better, but it might not be dietary!
Is the brain fog there before breakfast or after?

Other than that, I'm not too sure, and you need more diagnostic tests, to eliminate other conditions.

Take care.